Old 03-10-2016, 09:12 AM   #61
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Don...sorry... Each and every event whether falling in, aground or towed could be anything from life threatening or comical. Didn't mean to poke fun at anyone except those that I feel will admit to falling in yet their pride about being a "captain" makes their memory fuzzy about other skills. I could be wrong but as long as I have been around boats at all levels and a tow guy for 13 years...I have heard a lot of "gray" stories.

If it ever happens again...and you get cut...just pour some of that green stuff Blue brought to the get together..bet it will work!

I slipped off a jetty back around when Jaws was filmed and the barnacles had their way with the backs of my legs...still have some small scars. Well, when the large cloud of red formed around me....some pretty scary thoughts almost made me walk on water.

Again sorry to all those that have had traumatic events...to all those closet grounders or tow jobs.....
Scott, that green stuff Blue gave me will work as a topical or internal infection fighter. Nothing can survive it.

No problem. I look back on stuff like that, and provided no real harm done see the humor in the situation. Why not? We may as well have a laugh. Does wonders for the attitude.
https://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 09:22 AM   #62
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Mid 1960's, while at anchor... Saw my dad, fully clothed, long pants too, fall off transom while tying dink. He got back aboard so fast his wallet was still pretty dry inside. At first he was pissed with himself... then he lightened up and we all got to laughing!
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 09:22 AM   #63
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Don....Always great to have a great woman and dog to help lick your wounds (actually the green stuff off them)....I'll bet they are better at making you feel better than fixing that radar had it gone in the drink!

Ouch on the hearing aids though....being a boater, can't find waterproof ones and 5200 the in like transducers?
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 06:23 AM   #64
Moderator Emeritus

City: Cameron, La
Vessel Name: Baobab
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4788
I have been in the drink, from the dink.....perhaps caused by drink....

I have put rails on the swim platform to help prevent this from happening again. It also gives me something to tie the dinghy to without having lines go across the swim platform to the rear cleats, causing a trip hazard.
Attached Thumbnails
Railing.jpg  
dimer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 08:57 AM   #65
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Quote:
Originally Posted by dimer2 View Post

I have put rails on the swim platform to help prevent this from happening again. It also gives me something to tie the dinghy to without having lines go across the swim platform to the rear cleats, causing a trip hazard.

That's really looking good, Blue. I may have to repossess the staples unless my commission check is forthcoming.
https://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 12:19 PM   #66
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by dimer2 View Post

Might be one reason we don't have in the drink from the dink. We have a safety procedure which says the dinghy is always tied, front and back, to the platform before you board it. No dinghy floating away as you are about to step. Staples are great for tying.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 12:52 PM   #67
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Might be one reason we don't have in the drink from the dink. We have a safety procedure which says the dinghy is always tied, front and back, to the platform before you board it. No dinghy floating away as you are about to step. Staples are great for tying.
We used to have 11' inflatable w/ 8 hp Nissan o/b (see avatar). It was fun but limiting as to weight of people/items carried, local harbors/places to get to quickly for partying while Tollycraft is anchored, and storage of motor and the inflatable itself. Sipped gas.

For 6 + years we've had a tow behind, closed bow, mono hull runabout... 14'8" Crestliner with 50 hp Johnson (see attached). She's fairly quick [39.6 mph with just one) as well as being comfortable, dry and can hold four grown ups as well as items. Linda and I cruise her at 25 mph... = 20+/- mpg - not bad at all!

Currently we're looking at a 1976, 16' open bow, tri hull w/ 115 hp Johnson... just as cherry as our 1975 Crestliner and its 50 hp Johnson. This (new to us) tri hull baby could make a fine tow behind runabout and should be able to get into the low to mid 40's mph top-end range with just one person. Will also be able to carry more people and items. Fuel usage will probably drop down to 10 +/- mpg while cruising - not too shabby! My high performance muscle car - 67 Wildcat - doesn't do much better... especially when I have my foot in her 4-BBL Rochester Carb - which is often!! lol
Attached Thumbnails
DSCN1954.jpg   DSCN1955.jpg  
Art is offline   Reply With Quote