Old 03-04-2016, 08:22 AM   #21
Guru

City: Beaverton, Ontario
Vessel Name: Airswift
Vessel Model: Ontario Yachts Great Lakes 33
Love the Peterborough picture as that was my first boat back in 1965 and even had the same motor that you show. I haven't fell in (yet) but have to admit the Admiral went in once with a little help from me. Just as we were approaching the dock at a 45 deg angle with a fairly stiff wind, so I was coming in hot, she decides to jump for the dock about 3 feet out. Well she did this at the precise time that I hit reverse to slow down. Well, she stretched between the dock and the boat for a few seconds, hands and feet but inevitably had to let go. Got her out safe and unhurt but very wet. I caught s&(t, but she doesn't jump for the dock any more.

Old 03-04-2016, 08:37 AM   #22
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Twice. Once at anchor off my current charter boat. Got in a hurry and tripped on a mid ship cleat. The other time was off my old steel charter boat, in the boat yard, on the hard. Again, in a hurry getting the boat ready for the travel lift. Fell 8' to the ground and landed on the steel dive ladder. Took a trip to the hospital. Didn't break anything except my pride. Some very impressive black and blue marks a couple of days later. I'm no longer in a hurry.

Ted

"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 08:49 AM   #23
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
Yes, at the dock, Daytona Beach, off the swim platform, while pre-occupied and upset about something. Assessed myself a one more day in port penalty.
On important thing to me is having a way to get back on the boat alone.
Another is always attaching to myself the kill lanyard when piloting the Whaler.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 09:26 AM   #24
Guru

City: Trenton
Once. Right at the dock.

Cold and very windy late October day. I went to get back on the boat and she made an unexpected move due to the wind. I was distracted by the cold and was in the water before I knew what happened. Water felt nice and warm compared to the air. One of my boat shoes came off and I remember being inordinately annoyed at that.

Pulled down the swim ladder and climbed up. The boat was nice and warm so I stripped down, dried off and put together an eclectic outfit of summer apparel found on the boat. Some of it was decidedly gender inappropriate.

I locked her up, carefully disembarked, limped up the dock and hopped one footed over the sharp stones in the marina parking lot to the car. I drove home with the heat at full blast.
alormaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 09:42 AM   #25
Guru

City: Thibodaux, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Gumbo
Vessel Model: 2003 Monk 36
Once, while washing a 23 Grady White outboard fishing boat I had years ago. It was in the slip, my brother in law who was with me asked what happened. Not to look the fool I told him my Ray Bans fell in the water and I dove for them.
I almost fell off of Gumbo once, washing the FB windows while leaning back against the handrails, when I got to the open gate I fell back but was able to catch myself before hitting the dock. I did look the fool that time but learned a lesson, close the gates when doing that sort of work!
Old 03-04-2016, 10:16 AM   #26

City: Oriental, NC
Vessel Name: M/V Major Award
Vessel Model: Senator 35 w/single Lehman
Once. Years ago in my blow boat days I generally sailed by myself and frequently into the early evening. I also always backed into my slip...because I could. Backed in, stopped momentum, leaned over stern rail to pick up a line. The bulk of my (m)ass and belly is above pulpit. Stretched for line, toes slid and did half gainer with belly leading the way. Doesn't end there; was still young and strong and one hand was still on pulpit. Somehow got leg up and wiggled back on boat.

In this town everyone or someone sees things happening although they were not in immediate area. After my trip home to get dry clothes I went to the watering hole and figured I should fess up before someone beat me to it. Spilled my guts and nobody had seen it. Bought Mustang float coat the next day.
bilge53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 10:47 AM   #27
Guru

City: Holladay, UT
Vessel Name: Dream Catcher
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37-065
Yup, at anchor. Working my way around the boat to wash salt off windows, and carelessly stepped on a cleat, wearing old Teva boat sandals whose rubber had kinda dried up and lost its grip. Fortunately did not lose my specs. Deployed the swim step ladder, and was back onboard in a jiffy.

Got rid of the old Teva's.
"Cruising in a Big Way"
RCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 12:13 PM   #28

City: Bend
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard W View Post
Ah, Santa, after one wrong step ... happened to me too sans the audience.
Luckily, the boat was much smaller as I was alone on the dock.

The man is a senior citizen!
Wooltier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 12:18 PM   #29
Guru

City: Bellevue, WA
Vessel Name: Fiddler
Vessel Model: DeFever 46
I fell out of a kayak trying to get out and on to the swimstep, which is difficult since the swimstep is not even with the top of the kayak. Now I have a better system whereby I have a knotted line attached to a flybridge support that I use to pull myself up out of the kayak and then slide over onto the swimstep. Much easier and I haven't fallen in since.
drb1025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 12:50 PM   #30
Guru

City: Atlantic Highlands, NJ
Vessel Name: Moana Huaka'i
Vessel Model: Selene 53
Not yet, still dry.
No Mast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 03:45 PM   #31
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by drb1025 View Post
I fell out of a kayak trying to get out and on to the swimstep, which is difficult since the swimstep is not even with the top of the kayak. Now I have a better system whereby I have a knotted line attached to a flybridge support that I use to pull myself up out of the kayak and then slide over onto the swimstep. Much easier and I haven't fallen in since.
I like that idea. While I haven't fallen in yet, it is tough transitioning from the kayak to my scoop transom.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 07:32 PM   #32
Guru

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
Alone, in a hurry (why else?) bringing the sailboat into the dock at the outstation, with only minutes before the ferry home would leave, I came up to the dock from leeward, grabbed the sternline and leaped for the dock. I would have made it, but the sternline in my hand wasn't clear of something on the deck, fouled and was instantly 10 ft too short. I felt it snag and instead of letting go, I pulled harder. That stopped me in mid stride, off the boat, not yet on the dock. I was able to get out of the water faster than the water could enter my wallet, and made the ferry.
koliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 07:44 PM   #33
Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
I used to keep track. I think I have fallen in the water at least once every month except February. Too late this year to close that circle.
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 07:51 PM   #34
Veteran Member

City: San Diego
Once on purpose, once due to good scotch, once at Oh-Dark-Thirty 100 miles offshore in the way North Pacific.

Somehow lost my brand new and very expensive sunglasses over the rail of a boat - I jumped in headfirst to grab them as they sunk into Bellingham Bay. Found them and all was OK

Midnight in flat calm moonshine in Prevost Harbor, Stuart Island in the San Juans. After several excellent shots of old single malt Scotch with the gentleman who introduced me to sailing 25-years earlier, I was climbing from his swim step to my very tippy Whitehall Rowing skiff. In my "attention challenged" state I forgot that one cannot step onto the outboard edge of the middle seat without rolling the skiff.

In the Pacific Ocean at 49 N, 100 miles west of Estevan Pt (Vancouver Island) in 6' seas and 20-knot winds at 3 AM I went to the foredeck to clear the staysail that would not complete the tack. When I freed it - the clew and sheet shackle hit me in the forehead and knocked me cold - on a 40' sailboat heeled at 20 degrees beating into those seas.

Apparently, I slid overboard but my tether, attached to the mast, stopped my fall with my legs over the side and my chest against the lifeline. I came too and crawled back aboard. When I made it back to the cockpit my brother asked what took so long. He had no idea, it was really dark and stormy, that I had had a problem.

Later that night I remembered that I had recently installed foredeck illumination lights to deal with just the problem that had occurred. We had been awake and sailing hard for 36-hours and I guess I was too tired to think thru the details.
Tacomasailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 09:06 PM   #35
Guru

City: Westport, CT
Vessel Name: Magic
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 46 Europa
There's a lesson to be learned from this one:
I was docking the boat and my wife was poised to lasso a piling at a strange dock. Unfortunately the starboard boarding gate was open, and in her effort catch the piling, over she went between the moving in reverse boat and the fixed dock. An angel must have been watching and in an instant two passers by fished her out of the water. Then they pointed out to a terrified me that the boat was still moving in reverse.

By some miracle there were no injuries and my wife took it in stride. We consider ourselves blessed and a gate is never left open again.
hmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 09:37 PM   #36
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Yes. Before leaving Hilton Head for the trip South in 2009, We were installing a new 72 mile Raymarine radar pedestal on the mast of my boat. A heavy devil it was. The tech was on the boat, and I was on the dock. I was lifting it up to him. When he changed positions it shifted the weight more to me. I was on the finger pier. A set of steps for the boat across the finger was behind me. I stepped backwards and tripped on the steps. Before I knew it I was in the water. The docks and pilings were encrusted with oyster shells. I was cut up all over. I had to swim around to bow of the neighbors boat and back down the side to get out of the water on to the swim platform. I was a bloody mess.

When I got back to the boat I stripped off what I could. Then hosed the blood off. I went below for an alcohol bath, and take a hot shower. With clean dry clothes I fixed a drink. I was sitting there thinking things had turned out pretty well. Then it hit me. I lost a $4,400.00 pair of hearing aids. In 17' of dark water with a fast tidal current they would be impossible to find, and probably couldn't be used again. Oh well, at least it was not worse.
http://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 09:54 PM   #37
Guru

City: Sidney
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonstruck;
When I got back to the boat I stripped off what I could. Then hosed the blood off. I went below for an alcohol bath, and take a hot shower. With clean dry clothes I fixed a drink.
Ok, c'mon, cough up the rest of the story. What was the poor tech doing while you were at the spa?
Hawgwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 10:00 PM   #38
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawgwash View Post
Ok, c'mon, cough up the rest of the story. What was the poor tech doing while you were at the spa?
... and if you were holding the radar, what happened to it when you fell in?

I am sure we are most concerned about your cuts and scrapes, but.....

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 12:45 AM   #39
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Amazing how many have fallen in but never gone aground or have been towed.....
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 01:01 AM   #40
Guru

City: Sidney
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Amazing how many have fallen in but never gone aground or have been towed.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Scotch-Cigars-go-well-together.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	34.1 KB
ID:	49532  

Hawgwash is offline   Reply With Quote