Old 11-10-2015, 11:33 PM   #1
GFC
Guru

City: Tri Cities, WA
Vessel Name: Beachcomber
Vessel Model: Sea Ray 550 Sedan Bridge
Are you downstream from Montreal, CA?

According to the attached article, the CA government has allowed the city of Montreal to dump 8 Billion litres of raw sewage into the St. Lawrence Seaway.

St. Lawrence sewage dump: 7 tips to limit your impact - Montreal - CBC News

Hold your nose the next time you're on your boat.

Old 11-11-2015, 12:12 AM   #2
Guru

City: Sidney
Quote:
Originally Posted by GFC View Post
According to the attached article, the CA government has allowed the city of Montreal to dump 8 Billion litres of raw sewage into the St. Lawrence Seaway.

St. Lawrence sewage dump: 7 tips to limit your impact - Montreal - CBC News

Hold your nose the next time you're on your boat.
Hey, you guys keep looking to us for water, kwitcher whinin' eh?

Hawgwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 12:22 AM   #3
TF Site Team

City: Seattle, WA
Vessel Name: Pau Hana
Vessel Model: 1989 PT52 Overseas Yachtfisher
Wow!!

1989 52' PT Overseas yachtfisher
Pau Hana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 12:56 AM   #4
Guru

City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
pot calling kettle black

Quote:
Originally Posted by GFC View Post
It's supposed to be a one time event to fix things for the future...something New York City should be considering, no?

http://www.newsweek.com/it-raining-n...terways-260784

Quote:
"The Gowanus Canal in Brooklyn has it especially bad. Thirteen CSO sites pour 377 million gallons of diluted raw sewage into the canal each year. The Gowanus’s mere 1.8 miles of dead-end channel constitute one of the most heavily contaminated bodies of water in the United States, and each rainstorm adds to the cesspool."
Old 11-11-2015, 11:44 AM   #5
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Far downstream. lol. It's not really what we think of as sewage, human waste, that's of the concern from them doing that. More chemicals, drugs, more toxic items, that should be pretty diluted. It sounds horrible, but I think better planned than unplanned. Those of us to the south think of Montreal as sophisticated and modern. Guess what lies beneath we haven't noticed. There are a lot of cities in the world with decaying elements of their infrastructure not being adequately addressed. Amazing how bright and new we can make what's on top look, while what's beneath is old and ugly.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 02:20 PM   #6
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
St. Lawrence River Beluga whales. Look it up.
Old 11-11-2015, 02:54 PM   #7

City: Bethlehem, PA
Vessel Name: Lady Kay V
Vessel Model: Don't know yet.....
Aren't we ALL down stream of the St Lawrence seaway? OK, maybe not the Inuits amongst us......
Old 11-11-2015, 03:13 PM   #8
Guru

I tried to put it in perspective of what it would mean to Lake Ontario. Well, Lake Ontario is 393 cubic miles. There are 1.1 trillion gallons in one cubic mile. 8 Billion Liters is just over 2.1 billion gallons.

A trillion is 1,000 billion. So 2.1 billion gallons would be 2/1000ths of one cubic mile or .002 or roughly .002 of the water in one cubic mile or roughly .000005 of it or roughly .0005%. Basically half a thousandth of a percent.

Now I have a headache. Hopefully my math is close to right. The point is I would think that it would be quite well diluted once it hits Lake Ontario. Now, even so, as squeamish as I am, I can easily say it's ok from here but if my drinking water came from Lake Ontario, all the math in the world wouldn't ease my mind. I'm sure there will be testing of water downstream. Will be interesting as to what impact it has.

Edit: And I find out from West I had it flowing the wrong way.
Old 11-11-2015, 03:25 PM   #9

City: Vancouver BC
The Saint Lawrence River (French: Fleuve Saint-Laurent; Tuscarora: Kahnawáʼkye;[3] Mohawk: Kaniatarowanenneh, meaning "big waterway") is a large river in the middle latitudes of North America. The Saint Lawrence River flows in a roughly north-easterly direction, connecting the Great Lakes with the Atlantic Ocean and forming the primary drainage outflow of the Great Lakes Basin. It traverses the Canadian provinces of Quebec and Ontario, and is part of the international boundary between Ontario, Canada, and the U.S. state of New York. This river also provides the basis of the commercial Saint Lawrence Seaway.
West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 03:30 PM   #10
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by West View Post
The Saint Lawrence River (French: Fleuve Saint-Laurent; Tuscarora: Kahnawáʼkye;[3] Mohawk: Kaniatarowanenneh, meaning "big waterway") is a large river in the middle latitudes of North America. The Saint Lawrence River flows in a roughly north-easterly direction, connecting the Great Lakes with the Atlantic Ocean and forming the primary drainage outflow of the Great Lakes Basin. It traverses the Canadian provinces of Quebec and Ontario, and is part of the international boundary between Ontario, Canada, and the U.S. state of New York. This river also provides the basis of the commercial Saint Lawrence Seaway.
So you're saying it flows north, away from Lake Ontario? I never knew that. How interesting. The other river I know that does that is the Tennessee. So take all my math and divide by more trillions since it's flowing to the Atlantic Ocean.

Thanks for the education. Had I just thought a moment I would have known as I knew which way the other lakes flow. Don't know what I thought happened to the water from Lake Ontario, but now I know.
Old 11-11-2015, 04:13 PM   #11
Enigma

Greetings,
There are many, many rivers which flow north into the Arctic Ocean.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atla..._North_America
Old 11-11-2015, 04:15 PM   #12
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
There are many, many rivers which flow north into the Arctic Ocean.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atla..._North_America
Well, we have yet to be on any of them. That's still to come.
Old 11-11-2015, 04:29 PM   #13
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
The city of Victoria BC has been dumping raw sewage into Straits of Juan de Fuca forever. Now (nearly) done is a sewage treatment plant. After big hurricanes where does the crap go when the coastal treatment plants are recovering?

San Diego from time to time has a hiccup and fills the beaches as does Lima Peru. (Sh) it happens quite frequently worldwide. A look at the larger harbors in Asia can be a gruesome sight.

Thank God Montreal doesn't have the population of Shanghai, one could walk on St Lawrence before freeze up.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 05:03 PM   #14
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
And people, even cruisers complain about what a few boats with Raritan Electroscans do to the water.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 05:14 PM   #15

City: Trois-Rivieres, Quebec
I'm about 70 nautical miles north-est (downstream) of Montreal. Every pleasure crafts are already winterized here. That's a good time to do that planned dumping. The St-Lawrence seaway stays open all winter for commercials but no one would be tempted to swim at this time of the year :-)
Dominic
dvoyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 05:25 PM   #16
Enigma

Greetings,
M. dv. Welcome aboard. "...no one would be tempted to swim at this time of the year..." HAH! Not now but in February...

Old 11-11-2015, 05:28 PM   #17
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvoyer View Post
I'm about 70 nautical miles north-est (downstream) of Montreal. Every pleasure crafts are already winterized here. That's a good time to do that planned dumping. The St-Lawrence seaway stays open all winter for commercials but no one would be tempted to swim at this time of the year :-)
Dominic
They've done the best they could to do it at a decent time and before it happens without intent. Tough decision, but it was a lose-lose situation and had to select the least bad of two bad options.
Old 11-11-2015, 05:40 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
M. dv. Welcome aboard. "...no one would be tempted to swim at this time of the year..." HAH! Not now but in February...

Ha Ha Ha… well spotted !

They try very hard to avoid touching the water though !

Dominic
Old 11-11-2015, 05:48 PM   #19

City: louisiana
Greetings Dvoyer. I have been to your fine city several times in a land yacht. My son won the Grand Prix du Trois Riviere in 2009 and 2010. It was my favorite city on the racing circuit to visit. The fireworks display over the river on Saturday night after the race was spectacular.
rardoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 05:58 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by rardoin View Post
Greetings Dvoyer. I have been to your fine city several times in a land yacht. My son won the Grand Prix du Trois Riviere in 2009 and 2010. It was my favorite city on the racing circuit to visit. The fireworks display over the river on Saturday night after the race was spectacular.
Alex in the Star Mazda class