Yorks Afloat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dwhatty

Moderator Emeritus
Vessel Name
"Emily Anne"
Vessel Make
2001 Island Gypsy 32 Europa (Hull #146)
I probably missed a post here about this but I got curious as to how their voyage was going, checked in on their blog (http://www.yorksafloat.com/blog/) and was so saddened to find that Lara York had died in Sept 2010.

David,
Ive been wondering too but a little afraid to ask. Any time to die is bad but she found about the worst imaginable time of all. I remember how excited they were beginning their big adventure. One never knows when the really bad can strike but fortunately we have the really wonderful like being born or falling in love for balance.

I followed their cruise from beginning to end.

I haven't been on TF long enough to have "known" them.* I could not even look at that page without crying for her, for him, for their plans that were not realized.* Wow.* So young.*
no.gif

All the more reason to GO NOW.*

This is the first I had heard of them. What a great memorial service they had posted. Pineapple- yes I agree- GO NOW.
I seriously contemplate loading up our young family to travel but the logistics get complicated. Right now we are working towards a several week (3-4?) trip on the boat this summer as a hybrid plan. I have always been drawn to long distance travel and getting off the beaten path....it's in my blood it seems. But then I factoring in the investment properties, the house, being the sole provider for my wife and our 2 young kids, etc. etc. We could do it now without issue but it is the "what then" question afterwards....spend savings and travel or be prudent and go for shorter trips to "ensure" (haha- NOTHING is ever "sure!") long term position for the family.....etc. etc. Problem is, I'd just as soon be barefoot and shirtless somewhere instead of working. When I traveled, it was always the less fortunate and poorer people that had more joy and would go out of their way to show kindness and hospitality. Those with money rarely did (but sometimes they did). The quandary is how to raise children that embrace the beauty and mystery of the world and creating life situations to show them that while at the same time providing for them long term (private school, college, etc.).

The link of the York's site though reminds me of this inspiriting site I have grown to appreciate (the wife/mom subsequently passed away as well):
http://northernmagic.com/
and their story here:
http://www.northernmagic.com/ourstory.html

and I LOVE this page:
http://www.northernmagic.com/lessons.html

I'm sad but not too sad....They had a lot of adventures on this last cruise that would last many of us (combined) a lifetime. If you read the entire blog, you'll understand. Two great people.

do it now or do it later but do live every day to the fullest of its potential.

I have not really followed their adventures but it is sad to lose someone-for sure!

A lot of times life gets in the way, but really life is the adventure, and it will be different for each of us.

JohnP

Life is the cruise.* Only we never go back to the same port as quite the same person.* Things happen and sometimes quickly.* My across the street neighbor is the widow of Dick Scobee, the commander of the Challenger space craft.* It blew up in front of her eyes.* She has picked up and written several books and started the Challenger Centers.

When you see someone so young and vital, it really hits home.**Lara York was a special lady who is missed by many.* I guess as Walt seemed to*be saying, that she got to do much more than the average person that lives to a ripe old age.

I guess the message is that we only go around once, so live it to the fullest.* I can tell you from personal experience that when it comes down to it, it's not the material things that matter.* It's family and friends.*

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom