Old 01-30-2015, 11:02 AM   #21
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Whatever happens be sure to get a signed release of the obligation. Preferably with a notorized signature.

http://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 01:09 PM   #22
Guru

City: Somewhere
Vessel Name: Island Pride
Vessel Model: Palmer sedan 32'
Different country , Canada, but liens can be a big PIA. Don't ignore it and the consequences. On our house we had some liens from individual contractors form a bankruptcy of the G.C. which we thought were properly cleared through our lawyer at the time.

Jump nearly 30 years later to when we went to sell our house. There were still two liens registered????? NO they did not foul up the house sale, we owned the house outright, but it still caused a delay while the proper research was done and the liens cleared.

I'm not suggesting you just knuckle under either, just be carefull and weigh the consequences AND maybe before you get in too deep get some real legal help.
There are lawyers and other knowledgeable folk here, I'm sure, but it's still a forum and you could get bitten by jurisdictional differences/opinions.

C lectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 02:35 PM   #23
Guru

City: Joe Wheeler State Park, Al
Vessel Name: Serenity
Vessel Model: Mainship 36 Dual Cabin -1986
I don't know how much you paid for the boat or the amount of sales tax in question, but if it's an older boat, the lawyer's fee can easily exceed the sales tax due by a very large amount. once you lawyer up or even hint that you will, all communications can come to an abrupt halt. Now the lawyers talk it over at at least $100/hour.
If someone threatened me with an atty. I would tell them to never contact me again and just have their lawyer call me, then hang up.
Old 01-30-2015, 03:16 PM   #24
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
I repeat! LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
With lawyer letter include this pict as your enforcer

Art is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 05:04 PM   #25
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony B View Post
I don't know how much you paid for the boat or the amount of sales tax in question, but if it's an older boat, the lawyer's fee can easily exceed the sales tax due by a very large amount. once you lawyer up or even hint that you will, all communications can come to an abrupt halt. Now the lawyers talk it over at at least $100/hour.
If someone threatened me with an atty. I would tell them to never contact me again and just have their lawyer call me, then hang up.
You can get advice from a lawyer without their knowledge and without threatening them, but advice that will at least let you know where you stand legally. And I agree if it's a very small amount just find a way to settle, even if it's giving in.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 05:07 PM   #26
Guru

City: Somewhere
Vessel Name: Island Pride
Vessel Model: Palmer sedan 32'
I was not suggesting having a lawyer even contact the yard, just simply getting some advice about options so you do not dig yourself into a hole.

Maybe some accountants would be of help.
C lectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 06:59 PM   #27

City: San Antonio
Vessel Name: Shintullah
Vessel Model: 55' 1978 Defever
Calmer heads prevailed and we were able to work things out, I don't have a signed release as Moonstruck suggested(excellent suggestion by the way) but we do have very clear emails back and fourth saying we are good. The tax in question was tax due for work done on the boat NOT for the purchase of the boat, they were aprox $5000. Like I said before the tax was only a portion of the issues in question. The resolution was we are even, no money exchange hands. I know I feel like I walked away from services and dollars owed and I'm sure the yard feels the same way, neither one of us wanted to turn this into a lengthy legal battle and just agreed to disagree. I'm not going to air our dirty laundry in a public forum but if anyone is considering using a yard in Slidell La they can PM me and I will give them the facts to my situation as I see them. Now I just want to enjoy my boat, what a relief it is to finally be in total control of my boat... having the boat on the hard for almost two years I was at the whim of the yard... they have you by the "shorties" as they say.
Talonewo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 07:02 PM   #28
Guru

City: Little River SC
Vessel Name: JAZ
Vessel Model: Ta Chaio/CT35
Congrats!
windmill29130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 07:14 PM   #29
Guru

City: Santa Cruz, CA
Vessel Name: Frisky
Vessel Model: 99 Nordic Tug
bligh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 07:17 PM   #30
THD
Guru

City: Seattle
Talon-congrats on an agreeable resolution. Now get on the water, and have a cold one (after mooring of course!).
THD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 07:44 PM   #31
Guru

City: Joe Wheeler State Park, Al
Vessel Name: Serenity
Vessel Model: Mainship 36 Dual Cabin -1986
Good for you. Now you can enjoy your boat.
When I was living in Oak Harbor Marina in Slydell, for about 4 years, I still took my boat to Biloxi for any work on it. I never had the yard itself do any work for me. I always hired my own crew.
BTW, what marina are you in?
Old 01-30-2015, 09:24 PM   #32
Art
Guru

My picted enforcer is disappointed that job did not materialize.

I Say Congrats! Similar to my pict - Go Boating!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Art - Pilot Tolly_100_1362.JPG
Views:	62
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	36996  
Old 01-31-2015, 07:54 AM   #33

City: Cape Coral, Florida
Vessel Name: Gra Go Deo
Vessel Model: Roberts TY 43
As with all issues there are two sides to the story and this tax issue is only a portion of the overall dynamics involved in this situation. All I want to do is move on and start enjoying my boat.[/QUOTE]

Three sides to a story: His, Hers, and the truth.

Conall
Conall63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 12:30 PM   #34

City: San Antonio
Vessel Name: Shintullah
Vessel Model: 55' 1978 Defever
Tony B, the boat is actually in Oak Harbor marina, As I rushed to get out of that yard I made my maiden voyage solo(a three hour trip) to Oak Harbor(did I mention I have only driven a 22 foot ski boat before?) I'm embarrassed to say I ran aground(I have a 7.5 foot draft) at the inlet to the marina, took the corner too wide, while I was attempting to back out of my predicament the rubber coupler between the engine and transmission disintegrated. So my first day out I was able to use my tow boat US membership... $150 bucks well spent.
Talonewo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 12:40 PM   #35
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. Ta. "... I ran aground..." You shouldn't bee too embarrassed. The ONLY way you'll never run aground is by staying at the dock. Get 'er done captain. Oh, and when you buy a new coupler, get a spare.
Old 01-31-2015, 01:06 PM   #36
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
Mr. Ta. "... I ran aground..." You shouldn't bee too embarrassed. The ONLY way you'll never run aground is by staying at the dock. Get 'er done captain. Oh, and when you buy a new coupler, get a spare.

Absolutely right and well stated RT. Just the ante to buy a seat in the game of skinny water boating. Get a tide chart.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 01:17 PM   #37
Art
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPseudonym View Post

Absolutely right and well stated RT. Just the ante to buy a seat in the game of skinny water boating. Get a tide chart.
Along with tide chart and/or book... also... watch depth sounder closely while on fly bridge so you can see down into water as you go v-e-r-y s-l-o-w while in shallow water - IMHO! And, be ready to immediately stop boat to adjust position/direction if/as needed.

Taint no sense o' rushing anything while boating in the shallows!
Old 01-31-2015, 04:53 PM   #38

City: MD
Vessel Name: Blue Yonder
Vessel Model: 37
Talonewo. Does your screen name have anything to do with MC-130s?
BlueYonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 07:25 PM   #39
TF Site Team

City: San Mateo, CA
Vessel Name: Pineapple Girl II
Vessel Model: PT 35
I had a lien filed in court against a home I own just a few months ago. I knew nothing about it until after the fact when I just happened to call the neighborhood HOA about the fact they'd stopped sending me annual dues notices. Supposedly I was notified by certified letter but I never got it- since they didn't have my mailing address, just the property address. So sure you SHOULD be notified and have your "day in court" but doesn't mean you will.

Good luck working things out.
www.pineapple-girl.blogspot.com
Pineapple Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 07:31 PM   #40
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
If notified by certified mail.....if they don't have proof you received it...you have a great case if that letter is their only real case you knew.

psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote