Yanmar KANSAKI KM4A Transmission Oil Change

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HenryD

Vessel Name
Seven Tenths (sold)
Vessel Make
Mirage / Great Harbour 47
Hello,
I have two Yanmar 4JH3-HTE engines with the Kansaki KM4A transmissions. When changing oil in the past, I have inserted a hose down the oil fill / dipstick hole and sucked the oil out. I have not been able to get all of the oil out.
On the starboard side of the transmission, there is a 26mm plug that I think is designed as the drain plug. The clearance to get a socket/ratchet seems too close. A wrench big enough will not have room to rotate.
Anyone have success with a socket or other way to use the plug?

Hi I have the same engine and transmission. I agree too difficult to use that plug. Did you warm the engine before the oil change. I use the electric motor oil removal pump from Jabsco which works well for my engine transmission and Onan generator.via the dip stick on the engines.
Jim

I have the Kanzaki 5A. When inserting the tube it will go about 3/4 of the way and bottom out. If you keep fishing around you will find another opening and you can insert to the bottom allowing you to remove all of the oil. Maybe yours is the same?
Even getting 3/4 of the oil out will probably suffice if you change a little more often. I do mine yearly / about 100 hrs.
Be sure to use the recommended oil. My manual says same as engine. SAE 15 / 40 or SAE 30.
Good luck. ?

+1

With my Kanzaki gear I used much heavier oil w good results. Considerably quieter at idle when running throughly warmed up.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom