Old 08-14-2013, 09:17 PM   #1
Guru

City: St Augustine, FL
Vessel Name: RunningTide
Vessel Model: 37 Louisiane catamaran
YachtWorld Website Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonstruck View Post
Sorry Brian, but the pictures from Yachtworld won't copy. The Yachtworld site was having some problems a little earlier. Maybe it will work for you better now. If the link doesn't work, go to yachtworld.com put in Seaton and scroll down the the MOJO.
Thanks, I'll try that again later.

BTW, can someone tell me why you can no longer save pics of 'Boats-for-Sale' on Yachtworld.??

There have been several occasions where I was real interested in a vessel they had listed, and I wanted to save some images so I could blow them up full size to look thru. As it now you can copy the full listing, but the photos are so small much of the detail is problematic,...particularly for us older guys.

I mean what's wrong here?? It's not as though YachtWorld 'owns' these photos. They really belong to the owner of the vessel, and he wants to sell his boat !!
brian eiland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 10:35 PM   #2
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Yeah, it's been that way for a while now. If there's something I really want off Yachtworld, I can usually go to Google Images or Yahoo Images and simply put the boat name or brand and info into the search area, and the Yachtworld photos will usually come up. Click on the thumbs and while it's trying to go to Yachtworld, click on "view larger image" at the upper right hand corner of the new window and the same image will come up full size. From that image, you can download as usual.
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 12:43 AM   #3
Guru

And is that true of all the images of each vessel? Say you are trying to see more detail of a particular photo.
Old 08-15-2013, 06:20 AM   #4
Guru

City: Southern Maine
Vessel Model: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
This is a real annoying "feature" a lot of web sites are doing now. Basically they're using JavaScript to intercept your right-clicks, so you don't have a context menu including things like "save image as".

I don't understand why. A lot of buyers shop for a months, comparing various models and individual offerings. I kept a folder of photos of every boat on my short list. Subfolders by model, below that year. When I was real interested I'd have another subfolder for just that one boat.

I've tried a plug-in that is supposed to restore that function, but it didn't work.

There are plug-ins that let you view and save all the images on a site, but it takes some getting used to before you can identify the one you want out of the hundreds of images on a busy web page like YachtWorld. Typically it's the biggest one, if you can see the file size.

In the end you can always view the page source. The Chrome browser has a nice "inspect element" feature that lets you get right down to the HTML that has the link to the photo you want. Some sites put the photos in numerical order, so you can just increment the last digit or two and grab the next one.

Depending on the browser (and I haven't tried this) it may be easier to view a bunch of photos, then go to your browser's cache and pluck them out of there.

It's absurd that we have to do this. Aren't they trying to SELL boats? Why are they trying to make it harder?
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 08:02 AM   #5
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Quote:
Originally Posted by healhustler View Post
Yeah, it's been that way for a while now. If there's something I really want off Yachtworld, I can usually go to Google Images or Yahoo Images and simply put the boat name or brand and info into the search area, and the Yachtworld photos will usually come up. Click on the thumbs and while it's trying to go to Yachtworld, click on "view larger image" at the upper right hand corner of the new window and the same image will come up full size. From that image, you can download as usual.
I think it's because Yachtworld is afraid that someone may try to Photoshop the image. We all know that is a ridiculous assumption. No one would try that. Would they?
https://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 08:10 AM   #6
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
This is a real annoying "feature" a lot of web sites are doing now. Basically they're using JavaScript to intercept your right-clicks, so you don't have a context menu including things like "save image as".
So this JavaScript is the culprit?? What do we need that crap for??

I get so annoyed at these young techie's wanting to change everything on a monthly basis. I just get comfortable with one operating system, and they want to change it.

In an analogy I get into some of these new cars and I have trouble finding a radio station, or changing the air temp. It's all on some computer screen that I can't read without my glasses, and even then I need to pull over to the roadside to figure these simply task out....like changing the volume on the radio. I think I heard a piece of news he other day that FORD motor company was going to transition back to "buttons and knobs" because of all of the complaints they have received from customers......Hallelujah

Quote:
In the end you can always view the page source. The Chrome browser has a nice "inspect element" feature that lets you get right down to the HTML that has the link to the photo you want. Some sites put the photos in numerical order, so you can just increment the last digit or two and grab the next one.
I don't even understand what you just said,...sorry.

I think I tried out Chrome for a short period, but if I remember correctly it did not have a 'favorites' menu in the same manner as IE or Firefox, so I got lost on how to navigate around quickly.

Quote:
Depending on the browser (and I haven't tried this) it may be easier to view a bunch of photos, then go to your browser's cache and pluck them out of there.
I have yet to understand that word.

Quote:
It's absurd that we have to do this. Aren't they trying to SELL boats? Why are they trying to make it harder?
That was somewhat similar to what I was asking above. It doesn't seem to matter to the 'geeks',....just how much more fancy a way of presenting it.
Old 08-15-2013, 08:14 AM   #7
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonstruck View Post
I think it's because Yachtworld is afraid that someone may try to Photoshop the image. We all know that is a ridiculous assumption. No one would try that. Would they?
now that was FUNNY.

Thanks for making me laugh
Old 08-15-2013, 08:21 AM   #8
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post

I am not a broker that lists on Yachtworld, but I suspect that Yachtworld's purpose is to get you to look at a boat to contact the broker. I also suspect that Yachtworld tracks the number of clicks on a page, and that number is available in report form to the lister. They want you to come back to the Yachtworld site. They are in the advertising and referral business not the selling business.
https://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 08:50 AM   #9

City: Spring Lake, MI
Vessel Name: Great Laker
Vessel Model: American Tug 34
I don't know if this has been mentioned, but a seller could "borrow" selected images from other listings of the same boat as his to enhance the portfolio of pictures on his boat. Maybe YW is aware of this and trying to impede this possibility?
adventuresofgreatlaker.blogspot.com
Great Laker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 08:59 AM   #10
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great Laker View Post
I don't know if this has been mentioned, but a seller could "borrow" selected images from other listings of the same boat as his to enhance the portfolio of pictures on his boat. Maybe YW is aware of this and trying to impede this possibility?
I think you may have a very good point there, GL. Yachtworld, being in the advertising business, is surely not into the business of facilitating other potential advertisers to form their own ads by downloading the necessary photos right off the YW site.
Old 08-15-2013, 09:15 AM   #11
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian eiland View Post
And is that true of all the images of each vessel? Say you are trying to see more detail of a particular photo.
Brian: Generally, I'm not downloading something other than the cover photos or something close to it, and I can usually find what I need that way, but I just tried to locate one of the more obscure interior photos of a Great Harbor trawler by using the photo description and number on Google Images. What came up was the cover photo of the ad itself. I think enough searching could produce the result you want, but in the end, if I get frustrated enough, I'll use "Screen Capture" and then re-format the screen shot to a recognizable jpg, tif, or some other format my image software programs can recognize. I agree, it's really stupid in the end. Maybe Yachtworld doesn't realize how many of their ads receive hits because they saw the boat or the link on some forum like this one.

I'm far from a Geek and a lot of this stuff I don't understand either, and for those of you that are even less geeky than I am, I can empathize.
Old 08-15-2013, 09:17 AM   #12
Guru

City: somewhere
Quote:
Originally Posted by Great Laker View Post
Plus the scammers will use the images and post ads on other sites.
Old 08-15-2013, 09:22 AM   #13
Valued Technical Contributor

City: Litchfield, Ct
Any way you look at it, the Yachtworld photos are the property of someone else, perhaps the owner of the boat, and have an implied copyright. Posting them on the Yachtworld website does not give anyone the right to download them. I suspect that is why Yachtworld blocks downloading.

Annoying, yes particularly when I want a picture of a detail of some ones boat that is identical to mine so I can consider doing the same thing to mine.

But it is their right to block.

David
DavidM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 11:11 AM   #14
Guru

Not questioning their right, just their wisdom.

Everyone who looks at a boat on YachtWorld downloads the images. That's how the browser can display them. They're right there in the cache folder your browser uses on YOUR computer, where the script that YachtWorld wrote puts them. They may remain there for days. Maybe weeks. If you back up your entire computer, you may have them for years.

If you know how to use photoshop, or how to set up a web site, nothing YachtWorld did will stop you from using those photos for your own (possibly illegal) purposes. You just have to know where to find them on your computer.

However, if you want to sell a boat, you want as many people as possible to find out about it. Maybe share the photos of it with others. Maybe keep photos of it in a folder of their "short list" favorite boats, to come back to later after looking around some more.

Blocking people from doing that is just plain stupid, even if it's within their rights.

And I'm not so sure keeping an image that THEIR web site downloaded to MY computer around for my personal use, not selling it to anyone or using it in any derivative works that I'm selling or sharing, is illegal. You'd need a copyright attorney to explain the fair use doctrine and how it applies in this case.

Hey, while I was researching this, I did a search for my own make and model. Turns out Hull #1 of my Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser is for sale! I grabbed all the pictures of it out of my cache. They come in handy when I want to see how others of the same model as ours look.
Old 08-15-2013, 11:36 AM   #15
Guru

City: League City, TX
Vessel Name: Pelago
Vessel Model: Wellcraft 3300 Coastal
If you are using a Windows computer with any operating system beyond XP, you can use the native Windows Snipping Tool to capture and save any image or graphic you can display on your screen. Easy breezy.

I don't use a Mac, but I would guess there is a similar available feature for those as well.

Larry
m/v Boomarang
LarryM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 11:52 AM   #16
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: Circuit Breaker
Vessel Model: 2021..22' Duffy Cuddy cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryM View Post
I don't use a Mac, but I would guess there is a similar available feature for those as well.
Correct!.....shift+apple key +3 (Simultaneously)
Old 08-15-2013, 04:25 PM   #17

City: Nokomis
Or, on a Mac, you can still put the mouse on the photo on Yachtworld and drag it to the desktop. No problem.
harbor950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 10:19 PM   #18
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryM View Post
If you are using a Windows computer with any operating system beyond XP, you can use the native Windows Snipping Tool to capture and save any image or graphic you can display on your screen. Easy breezy.
Larry
m/v Boomarang
And where do I find that Windows Snipping Tool??
Old 08-15-2013, 10:44 PM   #19
Guru

City: League City, TX
Vessel Name: Pelago
Vessel Model: Wellcraft 3300 Coastal
Brian,

Here are complete instructions on use of the tool.

How to use the Windows Snipping Tool

If you use it often, you can pin it to the taskbar so that it is always handy.

Larry
m/v Boomarang
LarryM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 07:54 AM   #20
Guru

+1 on the Windows Snipping tool. A few extra steps but pretty easy to use.

That said, YachtWorld's web site resizes all the pictures to fit the space they display in. I happen to prefer the original image files to maximize resolution and clarity. But that's just me. For the purpose of just comparing different aspects of different boats, the Snipping Tool will do just fine.

Once you have your pics in the snipping tool, you can save them as files (my preference) or copy them to the clip board. A lot of people prefer to do that, then paste them into a word processor (like MS Word) document. Then save the whole document, containing all the pics for one boat, as one file.