Old 11-20-2019, 05:38 PM   #1
Guru

City: Calgary
Vessel Name: Blue Sky
Vessel Model: Nordic Tugs 42 Hull #001
Yachtworld Still Sucks

People resist change, they don't resist improvement.
Still find the new Yachtworld clunky and a challenge to navigate. And now I've discovered that if you want to look up a specific make, it had better be in their list of makes or you are hooped.
An example is Northern Marine. Inputting their name into the "Make" box produces nothing. If it is a well known name such as Nordhavn there will be a drop down menu with various names, including Nordhavn, whose box you tick and away you go.
Maybe I'm missing something so if anyone knows a trick, please help me.

Conrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 05:43 PM   #2

City: Stony Point, NY
Vessel Name: VARKA
Vessel Model: Helmsman Trawlers 43 PH
Just searched for Northern Marine and got several results.

Make sure to clear the form before doing a new search -

https://www.yachtworld.com/core/list...currencyid=100

AdmiralS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 06:04 PM   #3
Guru

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Never Say Never
Vessel Model: President 41 DC
I donít understand why they took the advanced search option off the front page. That is all I ever use. Now I set the home page to England since the advanced search is still there. Just have to change meters to feet and to US dollars.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 06:20 PM   #4

City: Port Hope
Not sure if I'm missing something, but with the new format I can't see how to save parameters for a specific search. With the old format the details were retained, with the new format I have to enter everything each and every time. What gives?
John R M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 06:30 PM   #5

City: Bayfield, WI
Vessel Name: All Night Long
Vessel Model: Regal 2765
It's awful. Every time I want to search it's more than a dozen clicks before I can get all the parameters set up. Before they were all retained.

I created a bookmark finally but jeez, what a horrible design. Of course my experience is that much of what they do makes no sense, so I shouldn't be surprised.
BDofMSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 06:35 PM   #6

City: Dallas
Yachtworld

My searches no longer include pics. The Advanced Search is not available. I'm looking for diesel, pilothouse, 40 - 62', west coast including Mexico and British Columbia. Does not seem to be available in searches. Really annoyed that pics are not shown in the search, but if I click on the listing pics show up.
Wine47 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 06:39 PM   #7

Oh, and no more region search. Just by one state or another. Not tedious at all
BD
Old 11-20-2019, 07:17 PM   #8
Guru

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Never Say Never
Vessel Model: President 41 DC
When you open Yachtworld in the upper right there is a US flag. If you click on it it will show other countries. I picked the UK, English. On the UK page the advanced search button is still there. You will have to set meters to feet and select US dollars and then it is the same as the old version. A couple more steps but it is worth it to me. It also still has the regions as far as search areas.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 07:20 PM   #9
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmiralS View Post
Just searched for Northern Marine and got several results.

Make sure to clear the form before doing a new search -

https://www.yachtworld.com/core/list...currencyid=100
Tried again and still no results; how did you do that?
Old 11-20-2019, 07:23 PM   #10
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conrad View Post
Tried again and still no results; how did you do that?
Found it. Forget all of the search parameters and just enter the search in the upper right corner. Actually seems to make things much easier.
Old 11-20-2019, 08:30 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comodave View Post
When you open Yachtworld in the upper right there is a US flag. If you click on it it will show other countries. I picked the UK, English. On the UK page the advanced search button is still there. You will have to set meters to feet and select US dollars and then it is the same as the old version. A couple more steps but it is worth it to me. It also still has the regions as far as search areas.
Thanks, works well. Hell of a way to design a website.
Old 11-20-2019, 09:01 PM   #12
TF Site Team

City: Paris,TN
Vessel Name: William
Vessel Model: Outer reef 32
I canít navigate it like I used to, but itís probably best. Iíve wasted way too much time over the years dreaming .
Old 11-20-2019, 09:03 PM   #13
Guru

City: Trenton
Millennials....
alormaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 10:26 PM   #14
Guru

City: Sharon, Ma
Vessel Name: Slow Lane
Vessel Model: 2005 Silverton 35 Motoryacht
It's been bad since last year. The mobile page is sometimes better for me than my laptop! Go figure

2005 Silverton 35 Motoryacht
South of Heaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 07:58 AM   #15
Veteran Member

City: Westport
Vessel Name: Osprey Moon
Vessel Model: Mainship 34T
Hmmm....all the functions of the old advance search are included under "Filters"...even if you pick a state...if you click on it again you get specific cities within the state. Took a little getting use to but I still am able to search as I did before...no clue why they changed it.
J105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 09:09 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by J105 View Post
Hmmm....all the functions of the old advance search are included under "Filters"...even if you pick a state...if you click on it again you get specific cities within the state. Took a little getting use to but I still am able to search as I did before...no clue why they changed it.
They are not all there. You used to have a number of very helpful filters by region. Regions were things like Northeast, or Great lakes, or Gulf Coast, or Midwest. It was a great way to find freshwater boats for example, or boats that you could get home easily, or I could filter out boats on the west coast that I had no possibility of shipping. Now that's all gone. It's one state or another state or another state but never even more than one state at a time. Incredibly inconvenient when they already had that.
Old 11-21-2019, 10:14 AM   #17
Veteran Member

City: Kentucky
Yachtworld is to boating what Camping World is to RV'ers! Gotta have someone to hate! Just between you and me though, I too am one of the haters! It used to be very simple to sort by region, etc and now it a PITA!
slowgoesit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 11:06 AM   #18

City: Tampa, FL
Yep. Awful. Change just for the sake of change is STUPID! If they imagine for one minute that they improved their site with these changes, then they are just completely oblivious!

The interesting thing to me is that in every forum I have seen, the opinions seem to be universal and in complete agreement -- the changes SUCK! And yet the folks who run Yachtworld do not seem to be listening, do not seem to care.

Now we just need someone else to come along and offer a little bit of competition, and in a matter of weeks Yachtworld will be about as relevant as MySpace!
denverd0n is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 11:46 AM   #19
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
I thought initially when I couldn't find advanced search and filters weren't there that the changes were horrible. However, now that the filters are working, in some ways it's even better than before.

Reading through the complaints made in this thread:

The search is very straightforward now if you use filters. It's also more in line with today's norm. Works much the same as Walmart or thousands of other sites.

As to the Northern Marine search, under makes Northern is listed and can be selected.

As to the inability to select regions of the US rather than state by state, that is a weakness in my opinion. It pretty much forces one to choose the entire country.

The search feature responds faster than before so the underlying code appears to be more efficient.

I think Yachtworld shot themselves in the foot by the initial change being so horribly handled and leaving users in the lurch. However, comparing today vs. what we had before, there is very little difference and no loss other than regions within the US. There may even be some new features or at least ones I hadn't noticed before. For instance, the ability to select boats recently added by various time segments. Overall, it's nearly equivalent to what we had before and may or may not still have additional features to come.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 12:47 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post

However, comparing today vs. what we had before, there is very little difference and no loss other than regions within the US. There may even be some new features or at least ones I hadn't noticed before. For instance, the ability to select boats recently added by various time segments. Overall, it's nearly equivalent to what we had before and may or may not still have additional features to come.
The ability to filter for recent listings was there previously, it's not new.

Sorry, but the biggest difference between old and new is the loss of ability to retain the filter choices so they don't have to be selected each time you want to use the site. I suspect most users use the same criteria each time, so almost all users are effected. It truly is a PITA.