Guru

City: Italy
Vessel Name: Didi Mau
Vessel Model: Currently looking for next boat
Why not a yacht world issue?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
What security software do you use?
This happens on my iPad when accessing YW, and no where else. One would think that were it a safari problem, it would also happen on other sites...

Gordon
Gordon J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 06:01 AM   #42
TF Site Team

City: Seneca Lake NY
Vessel Name: Bacchus
Vessel Model: MS 34 HT Trawler
I'm wondering why I don't see anyone contracting Apple???
Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 06:58 AM   #43
Guru

City: Oriental N.C.
Vessel Name: true heading
Vessel Model: marine trader 38 dc
I seem to have good luck with my motto z . But on the computer internet explorer locks up
chrome browser works much better
timb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 07:29 AM   #44
TF Site Team

City: Jacksonville
I see it on my iPad with Chrome.
Larry M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 08:47 AM   #45

City: Kitchener
Vessel Name: WyRow
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 42 Classic
Same here I can’t go in through the app
Colin Voyager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 09:13 AM   #46
Guru

City: Boston Area
Perhaps it only affects people who use the app ? I access it through a browser, not an app.
Benthic2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 10:18 AM   #47
TF Site Team

City: Jacksonville
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benthic2 View Post
Perhaps it only affects people who use the app ? I access it through a browser, not an app.
I go through a browser, not their app.
Larry M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 11:14 AM   #48
Guru

City: Narragansett Bay
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 36 Classic #715
Browsers do the same.
Cigatoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 12:13 PM   #49
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Easting View Post
Browsers do the same.
Unless they don't. No problems on my Google pixel running chrome. Or on a PC running chrome or IE 11, albeit behind a firewall.
Northern Spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 02:06 PM   #50

City: Georgia
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 41EU
Perhaps I can add to the conversation...

This is what I have done for a living for thirty years. Yes, this is a problem. It happens to me every day on my primary iPad and other iPads. It is not an Apple issue. It is not a paid ad that YW is receiving money for. There is no reason for “security software” on an iPad. Clearing settings is not the answer here as there is no way for malware to attach itself to web browsers in iOS, or there certainly never has been in the past. This issue does not occur on any other site. And, clearing all web site data does not fix the issue.

I am assuming that it is related to the fact that YachtWorld, one of the worst designed web sites I have ever seen, requires JavaScript to load photos. Java could easily be the source of these screen takeovers.

YachtWorld appears to have a problem on their hands, but as always, they could care less and will never respond to feedback. However, I suppose that if enough of us bring it to their attention they might take a look, but I wouldn’t bet on it. For those having the issue, I have found that holding my finger on the back button, which brings up the browser history, allows me to go back to a page before the pop up and continue where I left off. But be careful, some of the pop ups leave a long trail of “history” and you may have to scroll down about 20 items to get back to the real world.

The funny thing is that this sort of malware is ineffective on an iPad, which is where it’s appearing. This is the kind of thing that can really ruin your day if you are running Windows.
mcboatface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 02:30 PM   #51
Guru

City: Campbell River
Vessel Name: Blue Sky
Vessel Model: Nordic Tugs 42 Hull #001
I view Yachtworld on my iPhone, iPad, and PC; no irritating ads whatsoever, although I wouldn't say the site is a sterling example of how to design/run a wedsite.

I see far more ads on the TF site, particularly on my iPhone.
Conrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 02:46 PM   #52
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
When I started this thread, I was hoping to bring some awareness to both Yachtworld and brokers who are paying to list boats on the site. If I were paying to place listings and potential buyers could not look at them, I would be making contact with Yachtworld and maybe pulling the listing.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 02:50 PM   #53
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcboatface View Post
Yes, this is a problem. It happens to me every day on my primary iPad and other iPads. It is not an Apple issue. It is not a paid ad that YW is receiving money for. There is no reason for “security software” on an iPad. Clearing settings is not the answer here as there is no way for malware to attach itself to web browsers in iOS, or there certainly never has been in the past. This issue does not occur on any other site. And, clearing all web site data does not fix the issue.

To say that Safari and iPads aren't targets for Malware is just wrong. They have the same issues as others. You may be on target on Java and Javascript and this may be the issue, their handling of it.

Now pop-ups, both over and under, are often not malware but they've found a way once they appear on an iOS/Safari computer to then reappear each time it returns to the site. So a single incident becomes a recurring problem.

Adware also can be an iProduct issue just like any others.

The reality here is that it's something that iProduct's are handling differently on YW than other systems. Our security software or set up is not allowing the problem and I am not using an Adblocker.

You're right about no security software for iProducts, since they control all apps. However, some of the apps have been known to have infections when installed.

Should YW address the issue? Obviously. However, as a user I'd also continue to try to figure it out while they didn't. I would actually try to assist but I can't duplicate on any system I have with me. When I get home I'll try to access on an iPad (yes we do have some of all competitive products sitting around) and see if I have the issue.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 05:00 PM   #54
Guru

City: Stuart FL
Vessel Name: Lucky Lucky
Vessel Model: Pacific Mariner 65
The problem presents predominantly when you view the photos in a listing.
hmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 12:34 PM   #55

City: Fort Lauderdale, FL
Vessel Model: I have keys to lots of boats...
I just sent an email to YachtWorld as a paying customer rather than viewer asking them to read this thread.
Old 11-20-2017, 01:29 PM   #56
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
Thanks
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 02:07 PM   #57
Guru

City: Bayfield, WI
Vessel Name: Gopher Broke
Vessel Model: Silverton 410 Sport Bridge
I mentioned (on the other thread about this same issue) that I too experience this - but here on TF, not Yachtworld! Specifically in the Classifieds. I can generally browse about two posts in Classifieds before I get hijacked to a site where I'm the "lucky winner". This happens on my Android phone only, never on my PC, and it happens across different wifi networks but never on cellular.

Or I should say "happened". About two weeks ago it stopped and it hasn't happened once since then. No idea if TF did something, or if my DNS servers have been strengthened or what. But I'm glad it's gone.
BDofMSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 02:24 PM   #58
Guru

City: Satsuma FL
Vessel Name: No Mo Trawla
Vessel Model: Hurricane SS188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comodave View Post
When I started this thread, I was hoping to bring some awareness to both Yachtworld and brokers who are paying to list boats on the site. If I were paying to place listings and potential buyers could not look at them, I would be making contact with Yachtworld and maybe pulling the listing.
You might want to mention what version of iPad you have and what IOS version you are running.
Old 11-20-2017, 04:02 PM   #59
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donsan View Post
You might want to mention what version of iPad you have and what IOS version you are running.
To assist you and to narrow the problem town, most IT departments would like to know the specific Hardware, the iOS version, the web browser, and the web browser version. Ideally, they would also like a screenshot of what you encountered, including the address line from the top.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 06:46 PM   #60
Guru

City: Chicago/Montrose Harbor
Vessel Name: Sea Jay
Vessel Model: Non Trawler ;-) Ask me if it matters LOL
Now that it’s being discussed, I get “lucky winner” type pop overs when using safari as well as when I’m looking at an article on Facebook. They don’t appear to be pup ups like an ad is, as I have a pop up blocker on my iPhone and I do get those little messages asking me if I wish to open the pop up. These are more like redirects and pressing the back button in the browser doesn’t work. I’ll try to remember to screen shot it and post it here as I run into it a lot and maybe with the collective wisdom of the forum get some help.

That being said, my gut feel is that it’s not something the sites knowingly do, so I won’t go attack the sites
Gmarr is offline   Reply With Quote