Yachtworld listing fees.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My wife and I have been looking for a boat to live aboard in the PNW for the last four years. At first it was just to see what there was out there, and to try and find out what we liked and what we didn't, what we could live without and what we think we really needed to start with up front. Since we are not in the PNW yet, we found that about half of the brokers could care less if we were impressed with there vessel or not, the other half would try and help. We did find three that we stay in touch with monthly, they let us know what is new in the area. These are brokers that we will be using to get our new to us Boat.
There are good brokers out there, and there are ones that are not so good.

so you have been looking for a boat for four years??

I would not rate a broker's worth on how interested they are in showing you boats if your just sticking your toe in the water.. they are in the business of selling boats.. not carting you around to show you boats that you may buy in the distant future at best.

This may sound like I am taking the brokers side.. far from it. I tend to be pretty hard on Brokers because by the time I speak with them I am GOING to buy a boat .. quite likely the one they have listed. Much of it depends on what they know about the specific boat as I have already done my homework prior to contacting them.

My advise would be to not starting to look until your ready to buy.

HOLLYWOOD

Boy, what a difference of replies.

First, any broker has value IF they produce. If they don't produce, they have no value..... in any field. What makes them produce is if they get the boat in front of a prospect and "sell" them the boat. That's clearly a skill. And we find it both in RE and in boating (and other sales).

Unfortunately, I can say, without a doubt that "generally" brokers are not worth the powder to blow them up. When the try to represent things that they have not seen and know little about it's just not good. And a lot have no boating knowledge... and you ask them a question, they have no clue (also true with real estate).

For me, I like a broker that can give the facts correct and on time, without any BS, and knows the product. Yes, I use them, but need to know they can get the job done. Unfortunately, I have not had good luck with marine brokers. Most come out of the same mold, don't know the product and want 10% in their "escrow" account before operating the boat, which is totally ridiculous. But I have no issue paying the expenses to operate it, which is more than fair. They also expect the buyer to figure out all the goods and bads of the boat, and post specs that they will not stand behind (huge pet peeve). They guess at things and won't research or go to the boat to find out the truth, but expect the buyer to travel across the country to find out for themselves.

As a FSBO or buyer, there's a HUGE advantage when buyer and seller get together without a middle man. Sometimes it just doesn't work, but usually does, it they be truthful and try to meet the objective of making a deal.

When I sell, anyone gets to see the boat, house or plane. I will talk to them to get a feel for how ready they are to buy, but most ANYONE shopping is a serious buyer. It only take one buyer that wants it to get the job done and I'm not going to turn anyone off. It's a matter of "when" they will buy, and the person selling needs to figure that out. That's part of being a good sales person, whether FSBO or broker.

A good broker can make as much as they want, if they are up to speed on the product, know how to market, and know how to sell. I DO use brokers, but only if they can perform, and when they do, they are worth their fees.

I've been at selling and buying for a bit, but mostly houses..... well over 100 and several planes and boats. If the product is good, priced right and properly marketed, it WILL sell... period. If a buyer is interested and wants something, it's often just a matter of time. There's a few that just won't buy and a few sellers that just won't sell, so get past them and go for people that will perform.

As for boats, it's CLEARLY a buyers market, and some fairly nice boats take a year or more to sell (often with poor marketing or pricing). There are a few "hot" boats out there that sell quick, but not much in the trawlers.

"I'm not a boat owner but I am going to be in the market in the next 6 mos. which is why I'm watching the listings now. What sources are there other than YW and BoatTrader.com and a few mags like PassageMaker and Soundings for listings?"

Here in Gods Waiting Room , Florida Mariner will have dozens of listings brokers refuse.

If it takes 5 showings to sell the boat , brokers would rather show $300,000 boats than $30,000 boats.

And regardless of the price a "fixer up er" will seldom be taken as a listing unless the boat is in walking distance.

Too many pennyless dreamers taking endless time..

For a nice boat the price difference between FL and the NE can be 40% .

Compare Soundings and Florida Mariner,,,,

Last edited:
FF,

Good points, but I'll disagree with you on penniless dreamers taking endless time. The vast majority of them want to buy a boat. They just need a GOOD salesman to get the deal done.

It make take 5 showings or it may take 1... or 10. You just don't know. If the boat is good, priced right and well marketed, you're probably close.

Sure, all brokers want to show $300K boats, but that's the vast minority of boats and it that's all they will show, they will starve, unless they are exceptional and have a list of buyers in their pocket. But I'd not show a $30k boat for a 10% commission, and I'd not expect a $300K boater to give me 10% to sell the boat. It probably takes the same effort to sell each, compensation should be similar. but the system is screwed up on that end.

Yachtworld charges a few hundred dollars per month for their standard basket of services. Banner ads, etc, run a little more. That one flat fee covers a broker's entire inventory, whether the firm has one listing or a couple of hundred. If you wanted to break it down on a per boat basis, for most brokers it's probably about $10-15 per month per boat, depending on the number of boats in inventory.

If you are looking for a broker to represent your boat, ask him or her what *else* they do to look for a buyer besides put a boat in the Yachtworld MLS. Every broker uses Yachtworld, so if the answer is, "Nothing, we just put it out on Yachtworld and wait for something to happen" you might want to consider whether or not your boat is getting any extra attention from that broker.

I wish! That lowest fee is now around $500.

SeeVee,
You have some valid points but many are badly misinformed. You say you wouldn't show a 30k boat for 10% yet you blast brokers for only wanting to sell expensive boats? You say it's all up to a good salesman yet I've seen great boats go unsold for no reason. I've had buyers (today) tell me they didn't inquire about a boat because it seemed like too good of a deal? I bought a boat three years ago that many on this boat speculated and postulated about and sold it three months later for three times what I paid to a buyer that got a great deal. I bought a boat from a seller a few years ago who didn't want to trade and did the multiple closing on the same day and doubled my money. I have a boat under contract right now that is one weekend of work from neting her buyer a 35K profit and yet it took a long time to sell and it's not because I didn't do a good job of "selling" her.

FYI, this thread started with YW prices and what options are out there. For the brokerage world we are being ransomed by YW and whatever they want to charge which they have jacked up prices at the same times sales are down and consolidation is being forced in the industry ie. small businesses are going under. I for one post on YW, YouTube, sailboatlistings, Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram, Craigslist and others.

I wish! That lowest fee is now around $500.
Wow! An advert here on Yachthub.com.au, or Boatsonline.com.au, costs $33 for a year. Includes 30 pics, all the text you want, plus specified info details using their template.

SeeVee,
You have some valid points but many are badly misinformed. You say you wouldn't show a 30k boat for 10% yet you blast brokers for only wanting to sell expensive boats? You say it's all up to a good salesman yet I've seen great boats go unsold for no reason. I've had buyers (today) tell me they didn't inquire about a boat because it seemed like too good of a deal? I bought a boat three years ago that many on this boat speculated and postulated about and sold it three months later for three times what I paid to a buyer that got a great deal. I bought a boat from a seller a few years ago who didn't want to trade and did the multiple closing on the same day and doubled my money. I have a boat under contract right now that is one weekend of work from neting her buyer a 35K profit and yet it took a long time to sell and it's not because I didn't do a good job of "selling" her.

FYI, this thread started with YW prices and what options are out there. For the brokerage world we are being ransomed by YW and whatever they want to charge which they have jacked up prices at the same times sales are down and consolidation is being forced in the industry ie. small businesses are going under. I for one post on YW, YouTube, sailboatlistings, Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram, Craigslist and others.

Daddyo,

I never blasted a broker for trying to sell expensive boats, that's THEIR choice, not mind. Yes, a great salesman can get the job done, but there is no guarantee. There's nothing wrong with you getting good deals and flipping them, that's your business, nor nothing wrong with getting your client a nice profit.

For the "most part" brokers are a poor excuse for a sales person and have no clue how to get the job done. (I've been there). Makes little difference if they sell yachts, houses, cars or toys. Some are good, most are lousy. If you're the good one, more power to you and you deserve everything you make... as long as you don't misrepresent or cheat your client.

Sometime your skill as a sales person will make the difference, and sometimes not, but the skill is worth a lot.

No offense intended, just calling like I see it.

Yacht World is no different than Realtor.com in that those in the profession have no choice. You list your home, you expect it on MLS. You list your boat, you expect it on YW. News Corp has a gold mine in Realtor.com.

Now there are actually small towns that don't participate in MLS.

Any general thoughts on Boatshed.com? And comparisons to YachtWorld?
Boatshed seems to be an alternative to YW, but not a lot of traction/penetration in the boat listing market.

I've been at selling and buying for a bit, but mostly houses..... well over 100 and several planes and boats..

I've never looked at nor bought a plane but have to wonder is it common practice for owners to take anyone expressing an "interest in maybe owning a plane" for a ride to show off how it operates?
If so - where are you located? I might like to go for a ride?

I know of a boat owner friend in our marina that had a boat for sale - prospective buyer was concerned it would accommodate his family for wkends - asked if owner would allow them to stay aboard for a wkend.
They stayed a 3 day holiday wkend and left after a casual "thanks but no thanks" not interested.

I don't mind "tire kickers"...Anyone is welcome to look at boats I have sold but I have a signed purchase offer & deposit prior to a sea trial - also agreed on who pays launch & haul fees if "on the hard"

I've never looked at nor bought a plane but have to wonder is it common practice for owners to take anyone expressing an "interest in maybe owning a plane" for a ride to show off how it operates?
If so - where are you located? I might like to go for a ride?

I know of a boat owner friend in our marina that had a boat for sale - prospective buyer was concerned it would accommodate his family for wkends - asked if owner would allow them to stay aboard for a wkend.
They stayed a 3 day holiday wkend and left after a casual "thanks but no thanks" not interested.

I don't mind "tire kickers"...Anyone is welcome to look at boats I have sold but I have a signed purchase offer & deposit prior to a sea trial - also agreed on who pays launch & haul fees if "on the hard"

Planes aren't much different that boat, and sure you can go for a ride when I have one for sale.

There are a lot of ways to sell/buy things. Sure seems like if I want to see how your boat runs, I'd pay expenses, and that's the way I operate, and it works. I've never put a 10% deposit on a boat (or plane) that I haven't operated, and why would I do that as a seller? All the brokers want you to put down 10% if you want to run it, but if you don't like it you get your 10% back. Makes no sense. As a seller, I'd much rather they pay the expenses. I've never had a good broker insist on 10% before operating, yet.

And if they want me to "hold" it, put down a smaller, but non refundable deposit, otherwise it's first come, first served. If a guy wants a survey, I'll certainly hold it off the market for a survey (or other professional inspection). I do similar for houses, but if someone doesn't have their finances lined up, I'll not hold it off while they dicker with the banks.

And sure, there are real tire kickers, but I'd bet the vast majority of them will be boat owners at some time. A good salesman will shorten that time frame. And, yes, there a people just looking for a ride. Fortunately not many and you can spot them a mile away.

And, yes, I've done business with a lot of good brokers, too. But have to be sure they are good. I had one just the other day tell me how great his boat was, and he couldn't get me specs and he's never seen it. I told him to keep it.

Last edited:
Any general thoughts on Boatshed.com? And comparisons to YachtWorld?
Boatshed seems to be an alternative to YW, but not a lot of traction/penetration in the boat listing market.

Just looking at it, seems like they are pretty much in Europe and poorly represented in the States. They didn't have ONE Mainship in their inventory.

There's a ton of sites that advertise boats for sale, but seems like the big three are YW, BoatTrader and Craigs. (and word of mouth). I've bought most of mine on one of those.

Just looking at it, seems like they are pretty much in Europe and poorly represented in the States. They didn't have ONE Mainship in their inventory.

There's a ton of sites that advertise boats for sale, but seems like the big three are YW, BoatTrader and Craigs. (and word of mouth). I've bought most of mine on one of those.

When required... I buy and sell all forms of items on CL. Easy peezie and effective as long as the ad is kept up regarding scheduled removal dates. Also, it's free on most items. CL has other useful sectors too. Some free, some not.

Boattrader is mostly worthless. They pirate listings off YW and they leave them. I field inquiries every week about boats I sold several years ago.

I may have been lucky but I have sold 2 boats with Boattrader over the past 3 years.
Two weekends ago my wife and I looked at a boat that was listed on boattrader and we are setting up another one to look at the same way shortly. We also look at all the other sites and places including YW.
YMMV

Yachtworld is limited to brokers, so Boattrader and CL give the FSBO some opportunities to market their boats. I've done way more business on Boattrader and CL that I have with YW. Seems like YW has a ton of listings where the broker is in a different town and never seen the boat they're trying to represent. You don't see than on the others.

Boattrader is mostly worthless. They pirate listings off YW and they leave them. I field inquiries every week about boats I sold several years ago.

Are you sure Boattrader is the one copying the ad and not someone like POP yachts?

Yacht World is no different than Realtor.com in that those in the profession have no choice. You list your home, you expect it on MLS. You list your boat, you expect it on YW. News Corp has a gold mine in Realtor.com.

Now there are actually small towns that don't participate in MLS.

You can find real estate brokers that will take a small flat fee to put your house on MLS.

So is there any service you can pay a small flat fee to list on yacht world yet?

BoatTrader.com, boats.com and YachtWorld as well as some other brands incl a few European listing services are all owned by the same parent company based in Miami, in turn owned by an investor group.

<<<<< Originally Posted by Forkliftt
Great approach.
If a pre qualified buyer wants to go for a ride on your boat while first looking... say sure, I'd be happy to take you on a ride... for $100 cash I will take you out for an hour cruise. That can be deducted off our agreed to price if you decide to purchase.>>>>>>

Is that legal? Does it invalidate your coverage?

Should be legal, just don't call it a charter. However, overall, it's a minor point. It's the intent that's important. I always offer expenses when seeing someone's boat, and that's done before I ever leave the house. I let them know exactly what I want to see on the first visit so I don't have to repeat a visit, and so I can make an appropriate offer, or just drop it. If I get to the point of going to see a boat, I'm definitely interested, or I won't waste my time (or the sellers).

However, for the most part, the seller doesn't take the money. As a seller, I don't need the money, but really want to see some serious interest. If a buyer shows up with his GF and kids for a weekend, I'll pass.

Back
Top Bottom