Old 09-19-2011, 08:50 AM   #21
Grand Vizier

Yachting Services?

Thanks Tom.* I like the guys at Philbrooks - in fact a ritual at Trawler Fest is drinking Scotch with their owner.* You get what you pay for I guess.* I took Platypus up on their inexpensive bottom paint Spring special, and while they seemed very competant and very nice, it was a nickel here, a dime there and more dirt on the boat to deal with than one would have thought possible to accumulate in a few days in the yard.* The coup de grace was being charged an extra 3% for using a credit card when I went to pay the bill - something they hadn't mentioned until then.* I asked the young lady enforcing the policy whether it made business sense to her to have someone who might potentially spend a few thousand with them every couple of years to never come back over this issue and just got a blank stare.

Never again.

-- Edited by Delfin on Monday 19th of September 2011 08:51:16 AM

Delfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 09:21 AM   #22
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
RE: Yachting Services?

Delfin -- Yup, the nickel and dime game. I ask Philbrooks*for prices up front, which they pretty well adhere to. I've never heard of the 3% for CCs*- but I normally use MC or Visa rather than AMEX which is shunned frequently in Canada, including Philbrooks. Strangely, Van Isle Marina accepts AMEX at the fuel dock but not at the front desk.

sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 10:29 AM   #23
Veteran Member

City: Cochrane, Alberta
Vessel Name: Painters Cove
Vessel Model: 1997 Bayliner 5788

extra 3% for using a credit card

Some credit card issiers expressly forbid merchants from charging a fee for use of their card. It may be worthwhile to complain to your credit card issuer about this
weebobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 03:41 PM   #24
Guru

City: Saint Augustine, Fl.

Carl
We go out and around Nova Scotia, into gulf of St Lawrence . We won't fit in Locks above Albany. Airdraft is 90' on crane barge and 60' on tug. We will do 15 locks and raise 500+ feet. Hopefully leave tomorrow. Still issues to be ironed out with Canadians and Coast Guard.
Sailor of Fortune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 08:37 PM   #25
Guru

Vessel Name: Anastasia III
Vessel Model: Krogen 42

In the US, it's illegal to charge extra to use a credit card. However, it's completely legal to give a discount for cash. Same thing either way.
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 09:10 PM   #26
Grand Vizier

Quote:
Keith wrote:
In the US, it's illegal to charge extra to use a credit card. However, it's completely legal to give a discount for cash. Same thing either way.
*I didn't know that. *The price they quoted was increased from the quote, not discounted if I paid cash. *I'll remember that, thank you.
Delfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 08:43 PM   #27
Guru

City: Sunset Beach, NC
Vessel Name: Polly P.
Vessel Model: Monk 36

I've used a few different yards.* Both had their idiosynchrocies.* Both were different. One was expensive, but they did everything but lick my prop.* The other was less *expensive, but the guys there really knew their stuff.* Depending on what I need, I'd use both again.
Egregious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 01:19 AM   #28
Guru

City: PNW
Vessel Model: 1976 Californian Tricabin LRC

Quote:
Delfin wrote:Keith wrote:
*I wonder if that is a state law?? *Here in Washington at least, *ARCO AM/Pm, service stations charge you 25 or 35 cents per transaction at their fuel pumps if you use a credit card????

Edelweiss is offline   Reply With Quote