Yachting mag offer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

David O

Vessel Name
Lucky Dog
Vessel Make
Mainship 350 Trawler
I received an offer from Yachting magazine for a 3 year subscription at $14. At $14 for 36 issues you can't really miss but, my question is, is Yachting any good? I don't recall ever reading it before.

My wife got that same offer and subscribed for me. It's interesting but it's more about expensive yachts that most of us will never own or even think of owning.

For the price, it's worth it for leisure reading.

This months issue has many adventure articles along with the great loop, seems they are re-focusing there features, excellent pics.

Interesting offer. They send it to me for free because it's basically mostly filled with ads. I have gotten it for years and every year they send me a renewal slip that asks me if I still want to get my free sub. No brainer there.

I get a few boat mags for free, not sure why, I've never subscribed. I think their ad rates are based on circ numbers, and sending them out free must have calc'd out as a net positive for them.

I find the reviews and tech articles mostly poor. The reviews tend to be of super high end and patently impractical boats. Photos of pretty dining tables with nice food. Pretty sofas and white carpet and mirrors. Yay.

I rarely open them anymore.

Interesting offer. They send it to me for free because it's basically mostly filled with ads. I have gotten it for years and every year they send me a renewal slip that asks me if I still want to get my free sub. No brainer there.

So many of these mags are offering them free (at least to someone in the marine business and/or if on a list/and or a long ago/long time subscriber)...I wonder if it's a loss leader making up for it in advertising because of the exaggerated numbers?

Nice magazine but as said before, mostly high dollar yachts in places most of us will never go. However, the stories are well written and I get to read and dream.

I've been getting both Yachting and Sea for free. The former is of little interest. The latter is good for a half-hour read.

I think magazines and newspapers in general are a dying breed. They have to do something to try to maintain their volume. Just about anything you want is on the internet.

Still, the paper newspaper is useful while doing "one's duty" on the toilet.

I've been getting both Yachting and Sea for free. The former is of little interest. The latter is good for a half-hour read.

Same here, but if I had to pay for Sea, I wouldn't read it.

I hear bathroom laptop/tablet stands are becoming more popular nowadays. I haven't subscribed to a newspaper for many years, but read today's news many times per day on the internet. What I miss reading is the local news that I try to catch on the TV at night. Obviously, much of that is missed on the TV version, like the local arrest log and stories like "Millie Armstrong, longtime resident, hits the Lotto Jackpot!"

I do keep a supply of boating mags for 'casual' reading in the head. (...sorry if that's TMI.)

Dang, you mean to tell me that all this money I've spent on toilet paper I could have saved just by subscribing to a local newspaper? :banghead:

Ever tried cleaning your butt with an I-pad?

I received a copy of SEA last week, nothing in it for the type of boats & situations/mechanical problems written about in TF. I'm new to most of this, however, I know the difference between a informative mag vs. a meg-a-boat sales rag. Just a thought. By-the-by, I want to thank everyone for their post & the host of information you share. TONTO.

I remember using Monkey Wards & Sears in an outhouse in Eastern Montana. Don't think it would work to well in the ele. sink-hole, times two. in the floating new digs. :blush:

Ever tried cleaning your butt with an I-pad?

Nope! Butt...I don't run out of 3-ply either! When we get down to half a case from Costco, it's on our shopping list! Just restocked today - good for another 3 months!

Now, about that Yachting magazine offer...

I say pay away if you want a reliable, effort-free supply of Yachting Magazine for 3 years. It's not a high dollar risk. What do you have to lose?

I say pay away if you want a reliable, effort-free supply of Yachting Magazine for 3 years. It's not a high dollar risk. What do you have to lose?

More paper to carry to the recycling bin.

"The only paper worth having on a boat any longer is toilet paper."

Jeffrey Siegel
December 2010

Hi-gher Tech...........:banghead:

Attachments

• PAD-TSB_01_Main(2).jpg
    PAD-TSB_01_Main(2).jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 79
:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Wooden Boat magazine I pay for all else arrive free. I figure it's cheaper to pay full news stand price for my monthly wood boat fix than to yield to temptation and buy one.

Back
Top Bottom