Yachting Caps Anyone?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dave_E

Vessel Name
Agnus Dei
Vessel Make
36' Shin Shing
Hi All,

Fun question. Does anyone have and wear a yachting cap for anything other than perhaps a formal Yacht Club event? I've seen a few of the Greek Fisherman style caps worn by skippers.

Dave

Wouldn't be caught dead wearing one, same with a Greek fisherman's hat.

Baseball cap for me.

A baseball cap...with the name and burgee of my yacht club on it.

Hi All,

Fun question. Does anyone have and wear a yachting cap for anything other than perhaps a formal Yacht Club event? I've seen a few of the Greek Fisherman style caps worn by skippers.

Dave

That with Captain on it OR ... the ever pretentious Tilley hat ? ........... LOL

fb

I wear truckers caps on the boat, usually with some logo since I try to get them for free. Don't wear any hat on a boat that you couldn't watch recede in your wake without laughing.

Dockside, I have a wide brim canvas gardening hat with a wire in the brim so it can be flattened out like Smokey the Bear or rolled up like a cowboy hat. It is sweat stained and beat to hell and I really like it......

Last edited:
I would not join any Yot Clubbe that would accept me as a member.

"the ever pretentious Tilley hat ? "

oh, don't dis my Tilley hat - my dermatologist makes me wear it:banghead:

I really like my Tilley hat. I’ve had it for about 20 years. My new favorite though is:
IMG_0348.jpg
Compass Marine Services.

Joy got the Tilley. Mine is some twisted up thing I bought in Sopers Hole BVI . But most of the time for me it’s a ball cap.

Attachments

• E1D10839-978B-4324-98F9-12FDD023EE6D.jpg
    E1D10839-978B-4324-98F9-12FDD023EE6D.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 128
Since we run a garment decorating company, we rock our good friends cap that we embroidered for him. PacificNWboater aka moonfish.20180205_124807.jpeg

I wear visors. Hats retain too much of my heat. Even baseball caps make me and especially my head sweat. Visors allow the head to vent properly and my head and visor aren't soaked all the time.

They're making some great, super lightweight visors made of wicking material now.

I wear visors. Hats retain too much of my heat. Even baseball caps make me and especially my head sweat. Visors allow the head to vent properly and my head and visor aren't soaked all the time.

They're making some great, super lightweight visors made of wicking material now.

Visors may have worked for me at one time. My hair is getting a bit too thin these days for a visor however.

Visors may have worked for me at one time. My hair is getting a bit too thin these days for a visor however.
I sweat like a madman, but luckily in the PNW, it never really gets that warm and if it did, a visor would not work for my sexy bald head lol

Me to, I love my Tilleys and my dermatologist makes me wear them as well. I have three, two in good shape, one at home and one on the boat and the other a work hat and all sweat stained. Tilleys rock :D

'Visors may have worked for me at one time. My hair is getting a bit too thin these days for a visor however.'

Hair, what's that??:hide:

Since Little League Baseball, I haven't worn a hat or cap of any sort. However, I'm young enough to still have more than enough hair.

If you think hair protects your scalp guess again. A good friend near died from melanoma of the scalp. There were times during treatment that he wished he did. Wear a hat—-Always.

I like ball caps and proudly wear ones from places I support. The concept of paying for the privilege of advertising somebody's business on my forehead has always amused me. Recently it's either been my home marina in Maryland or a shipwreck museum in the Great Lakes.

Ted

A cap won`t protect your ears, a brimmed hat will.
We have caps onboard,often branded freebies, a "Sydney Ferries" one we fished out of the water(oops,larceny by finding?),even a Club one, and one we bought as a joke with more gold braid than a South American dictators cap.

Tilley with my CCGA pin and a Cdn Flag pin.
RCMSAR ball cap
Old Guys Rule ball cap

I usually wear a baseball cap (SF Giants), or my battered old Aussie drovers hat.
I've lost just one ball cap overboard that sank before I could retrieve it.

I wear a beat up black Greek fisherman's hat. I also have a small brass propeller on it.
I was a Machinist Mate in the Navy
I also have 3 Tilly hats in various stages of worn out.

Last edited:
My yacht cap
IMG_0333.jpg

Back
Top Bottom