Yacht Club Commodore's Trip To The 1000 Islands

Enjoy!

Yacht Club Trip To The 1000 Islands | AtAnchor.com
menzies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 09:05 PM   #2
GFC
Guru

City: Tri Cities, WA
Nice trip. That looks like some cruising VERY nice cruising waters, great places to tour, eat, etc. Thanks for sharing that.
Old 10-24-2016, 09:12 PM   #3
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
I believe the Loop comes out into Lake Ontario further to the south west, so to do the 1000 Islands you would have to hang a right, enter the St Lawrence Seaway, and then retrace your route back to Lake Ontario to continue the Loop.

Something we will consider though.
menzies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 10:03 PM   #4

City: Toronto
Vessel Name: Adios Dinero
Vessel Model: Bayliner 3988 2 x 330 Cummins
Menzies is correct but it is only a short jaunt. We stayed at the hotel marina this summer on our trip around Lake Ontario and the 1000 Islands. It is beautiful and brand new. Loopers need to take this side trip to Clayton and area just because it is there.
The Other Gary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 10:47 PM   #5
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Wifey B: Well, we made it within 15 miles as we did dock in Kingston. Thousand Islands for future trip and exploring the St. Lawrence all the way.

A message to loopers too. You can take the shortest route possible but there's so very much to see that's not on that route. The goal isn't saying you did the loop but it's enjoying exploring everywhere you can.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 07:22 AM   #6
Veteran Member

City: Rochester, NY
If you're going to the islands, loopers don't forget Port of Rochester has an all new municipal marina and transient slips for boats up to and over 50 feet. Several new restaurants in walking distance, downtown Rochester a vigorous bike ride away or an easy cab ride.

www.seadreamerproject.com
www.youtube.com/c/SixPointsWoodWorks
scott2640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 10:44 AM   #7

City: Toronto
Vessel Name: Adios Dinero
Vessel Model: Bayliner 3988 2 x 330 Cummins
The Rochester Yacht Club gave us two free nights as they are a reciprocating Club with ours.
First class Club with great facilities.
The Other Gary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 11:07 AM   #8
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Other Gary View Post
The Rochester Yacht Club gave us two free nights as they are a reciprocating Club with ours.
First class Club with great facilities.
Wifey B: Nice club. We were there three nights in May. Nice tennis courts although a bit windy out on the point. Meals pretty good too.
Old 10-25-2016, 11:41 AM   #9
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Indeed, the 1000 islands is a beautiful area but IMO most, if not all loopers miss the best part. The Rideau Canal. I think Mr. Alormaria did it a number of years ago and he may wish to chime in .
Old 10-25-2016, 12:12 PM   #10
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
Indeed, the 1000 islands is a beautiful area but IMO most, if not all loopers miss the best part. The Rideau Canal. I think Mr. Alormaria did it a number of years ago and he may wish to chime in .
Draft is the biggest challenge of the Rideau.
Old 10-25-2016, 03:15 PM   #11
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. BB. "Draft is the biggest challenge of the Rideau." Indeed, but 5' and 21' (air draft) should not limit too many vessels. I understand this past season was exceptionally low and not at all normal.
I would guess it is more probable that the extra time necessary to transit the system and either return the same way to Kingston or go through to Montreal and then up the St. Lawrence, through the 1000 islands and back to Kingston is much more a limiting factor than the depth.
Old 10-25-2016, 03:39 PM   #12
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
Mr. BB. "Draft is the biggest challenge of the Rideau." Indeed, but 5' and 21' (air draft) should not limit too many vessels. I understand this past season was exceptionally low and not at all normal.
I would guess it is more probable that the extra time necessary to transit the system and either return the same way to Kingston or go through to Montreal and then up the St. Lawrence, through the 1000 islands and back to Kingston is much more a limiting factor than the depth.
Our loop boat has a 5' draft so we wouldn't try it. I've read that there are sometimes areas not 5' so don't know at what point one would hesitate. Many parts in that area we'd like to explore.
Old 10-27-2016, 05:01 PM   #13

City: Albany, N.Y.
Vessel Name: Tranquility
Vessel Model: Trojan F32
This year we did the Erie, Oswego, 1000 Island, Rideau, Ottawa River and St Lawrence to Sorel. Great trip and the 1000 Island is an area you should not miss.
Next year the canals in Canada might be rather crazy as they are going to to free so I would think there will be a lot of inexperienced boaters out there.
kenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 07:51 PM   #14
Guru

City: Beaverton, Ontario
Vessel Name: Looking Glass
Vessel Model: Carver 370 Voyager
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenk View Post
Next year the canals in Canada might be rather crazy as they are going to to free so I would think there will be a lot of inexperienced boaters out there.
We have inexperienced boaters here every year, they are called houseboat renters LOL! They are good entertainment at the locks however. Hope it's not too busy being free but traffic has been down for the past couple years.