Old 07-28-2017, 01:58 PM   #1

City: Houston
Yacht brokers Annapolis/Baltimore area

I am looking to purchase an express cruiser and have found possible candidates in Annapolis area. I'm hoping to find a reliable broker to assist me since I am in Houston, TX and cannot travel to see boats firsthand until after I get an acceptable survey. So I want someone I can trust to determine if the boat is as advertised and worthy of making an offer subject to survey. Not my ideal situation but I can't make multiple trips and I am willing to take a chance if I can find the right broker. All thoughts and comments will be appreciated. I'm looking at boats under $30k if that makes a difference.

Bull53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 02:45 PM   #2
Guru

City: Maryland
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
Neal Barrett, Yacht-Net LTd, 1000 West St, Annapolis, MD, 21401-3606, USA, (tel) 443-994-2800, (fax) 410-267-7967. E-mail. Yacht broker for over 30 years full time. Representing both sailing and power yachts from 35ft and larger. http://www.yacht-net.com. Brokerage & Sales>>Individual Yacht Brokers & SalespeopleSailing & Racing>>Sailing ResourcesServices>>Misc Professional Services

No personal connection. Neal helped us buy our first powerboat in this area, would have been almost 25 years ago now... probably wouldn't remember us... but he did a great job on our behalf, taught me a lot about boat shopping along the way. That's an old listing, presume he's still around and active...

-Chris

Old 07-28-2017, 04:41 PM   #3

City: Punta Gorda, FL
Vessel Name: Aweigh
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 42
IMHO you might consider going to the listing brokers then getting a marine surveyor to do the inspectons. Then make offers subject to visual inspection by you in addition to the other contingencies.
seasalt007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 05:02 PM   #4
Guru

If you do not bring a second broker into the deal there may be room to negotiate a better price since the listing broker will not need to split the 10% commission. On the other hand if you are looking at multiple vessels in a certain geographic area, then a buyer's broker may be helpful. Just remember that both the listing and the "buyer's" broker work for money and both are motivated for you to purchase a boat! So, unless being asked to compare multiple vessels, the buyer's broker may just be another salesman trying to sell you the boat you have already selected.
Chrisjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 06:23 PM   #5

City: In transit
Vessel Name: Sea life
Vessel Model: Krogen 42 #61
In my experience, top brokers aren't interested in doing alot in that price range. I'd suggest paying a surveyor or consultant(don't need written report yet) with no broker affiliation 2hrs or so hours to check out possible candidates. Then hire a different surveyor to do a full C&V survey.

www.caribbeansealife.com
Sealife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 09:55 AM   #6

City: Marietta
Vessel Name: True Love
Vessel Model: Leopard 37 PC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sealife View Post
In my experience, top brokers aren't interested in doing alot in that price range. I'd suggest paying a surveyor or consultant(don't need written report yet) with no broker affiliation 2hrs or so hours to check out possible candidates. Then hire a different surveyor to do a full C&V survey.

This.....