Is it wrong???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Main thing I'd say is to remember how many times you're going to have to say the name you choose over public airwaves...

Or phonetically.

I see boats sometimes, I hope they are never in distress because by the time they stumble through it they'd be under.

My next one will be 3 letters and I can't find the name anywhere...:)

Some moron named his boat "Payday." "Payday payday payday this is Sampan, Sampan, Sampan." Confusing or what?

A sense of humor is a wonderful thing and everyone should theirs as often as inappropiate.

Wasn`t O N J English or Yank or something. lol

David.

Aw heck...if a name af a vessel is not repeatable for any reason.....the USCG just calls the " boat on fire/sinking/with medical emergency, etc"

Not preferred but easy peezy....

Some people treat the hobby of boating with reverence, most don't as it is just a pastime in their busy schedules....so picking a name is not necessarily given too much thought.

Why fight it? :D

Wifey B,
I guess we picked a great boat name!

No no no no, for pete's sake, it's the Samuel Taylor Coleridge poem

Nope... SORRY... But I will give you the benefit of the doubt and say it's an epic Rush song of the 'A Farewell To Kings' album!

I like Xanadu as a name as it represents an idyllic state. To me it was always the update on Camelot.

Wifey B: What could be better for describing a boat than Camelot....

In short, there's simply not
A more congenial spot
For happily-ever-aftering than here
In Camelot.

The thoughts of a Camelot or a Xanadu so freeking cool. I think of our lives together like that. It's not a physical place but it's a state of mind you create.

Wifey B: Could be...I wanna ride a camel...

My parents both rode an elephant and passed on the camel on their world trip. Riding a living thing that large was a humbling experience.

Ted

My parents both rode an elephant and passed on the camel on their world trip. Riding a living thing that large was a humbling experience.

Ted

Wifey B: I like horses and figure a camel is like a "trawler horse." Actually not, they can do 40 mph for very short periods. But elephant.....I don't know about that. Guess they were really more like a trawler though.

If you do rename it, just be sure to do something classy, with style. You know:

Attachments

• IMG_1392.jpeg
    IMG_1392.jpeg
    92.6 KB · Views: 71
Nope... SORRY... But I will give you the benefit of the doubt and say it's an epic Rush song of the 'A Farewell To Kings' album!

I like Xanadu as a name as it represents an idyllic state. To me it was always the update on Camelot.

My last boat was named Xanadu, for all the reasons above (Coleridge, Rush and an idyllic state. My wife approved because of the Olivia Newton John reference.

Coleridge also wrote The Rime of the Ancient Mariner. That's becoming more appropriate for me with each passing year ;)

There was a guy at one fuel dock who would quote Coleridge as he was tying up our lines when we brought Xanadu in for fuel. I figure he must have been an English major.

Cygnus gets us back to our usual practice of celestial names. The Northern Cross. It's great that the news this weekend was full of stories about the "2nd Earth" discovered in the constellation Cygnus. Maybe now people will stop asking what it means.

Wifey B: I like horses and figure a camel is like a "trawler horse." Actually not, they can do 40 mph for very short periods. But elephant.....I don't know about that. Guess they were really more like a trawler though.

Google "elephant soccer". They can get up and go.

Ted

I've always liked naming vessels for people. I suspect my preference for this came from my early interest in the fishing schooners out of New England and the Canadian Maritimes. Many of these were named for people: Gertrude L. Thebaud, Elsie, Elizabeth Howard, etc.

Our PNW cabin cruiser is named for a French naval captain and explorer and our latest boating venture is named for the same person. Our small boat, however, has a Hawaiian name that besides being relevant to what we do with the boat is also the name of the first boat I did a lot of fishing on in Hawaii.

Both names are easily understood on the radio; we've never had anyone reply with the wrong pronunciation or hesitation over the names.

I also like names that are terms for positive human traits and attitudes if they are appropriate to the vessel they are applied to. Endeavour is one that comes to mind as are a lot of the names that have been used by the Royal Navy over the centuries.

Names of marine life can be very nice. I always liked Walt's Seahorse, for example. Kingfisher is another one I like. I believe all forestry boats in BC were named for plants and trees. A lot of the fisheries boats in Alaska were named for birds.

Like Eric, I'm not a fan of cutesy names or "clever" double-entendre names. Obviously boats don't care what they're named-- they're just a collection of fiberglass, metal, and wood bits floating in close formation to steal a phrase from the helicopter people. Names are all about the owners, not the boats. But I do agree with Eric that the best boat names are the classy and dignified ones.

Last edited:
Coleridge also wrote The Rime of the Ancient Mariner. That's becoming more appropriate for me with each passing year ;)

And by 'The Rime Of The Ancient Mariner', I assume you mean the epic Iron Maiden song from the 'Powerslave' album?

I do agree with Eric that the best boat names are the classy and dignified ones.

Yea... I disagree. I think that we all need this to be FUN!! Save the business-class names for the working boats. This is a fun pastime for almost all of us here and names like Skinny, Dippin', Salty Nuts, or Toad Farts (made that up) are just as appropriate for pleasure craft. How many Alchemy's or Xanadu's or Breaking Wind's can you seen? Check the CG registry, there are tons of repeats like that. Cute names can add a lot of variety to the gene pool and I like uniqueness.

As the saying goes, you can't change someone Else's behavior, just your reaction to it. :thumb:

A camel is nothing special really, just a horse designed by a committee.

And a pretty mean, disgusting animal from the reports from my buddy who just returned from 3 yrs in the Middle East and tried the camel races.

Back
Top Bottom