Old 07-28-2015, 12:19 PM   #41
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post
Sounds more like a used humpback dealer in the Middle East.

Ted
Wifey B: Could be...I wanna ride a camel...

BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 12:55 PM   #42
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Wifey B: Could be...I wanna ride a camel...
My parents both rode an elephant and passed on the camel on their world trip. Riding a living thing that large was a humbling experience.

Ted

"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 01:02 PM   #43
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post
My parents both rode an elephant and passed on the camel on their world trip. Riding a living thing that large was a humbling experience.

Ted
Wifey B: I like horses and figure a camel is like a "trawler horse." Actually not, they can do 40 mph for very short periods. But elephant.....I don't know about that. Guess they were really more like a trawler though.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 01:02 PM   #44
Guru

City: Atlantic Highlands, NJ
Vessel Name: Moana Huaka'i
Vessel Model: Selene 53
If you do rename it, just be sure to do something classy, with style. You know:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1392.jpeg
Views:	57
Size:	92.6 KB
ID:	42590  
No Mast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 01:22 PM   #45
Guru

City: Southern Maine
Vessel Name: Cygnus
Vessel Model: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom.B View Post
Nope... SORRY... But I will give you the benefit of the doubt and say it's an epic Rush song of the 'A Farewell To Kings' album!
Quote:
I like Xanadu as a name as it represents an idyllic state. To me it was always the update on Camelot.
My last boat was named Xanadu, for all the reasons above (Coleridge, Rush and an idyllic state. My wife approved because of the Olivia Newton John reference.

Coleridge also wrote The Rime of the Ancient Mariner. That's becoming more appropriate for me with each passing year

There was a guy at one fuel dock who would quote Coleridge as he was tying up our lines when we brought Xanadu in for fuel. I figure he must have been an English major.

Cygnus gets us back to our usual practice of celestial names. The Northern Cross. It's great that the news this weekend was full of stories about the "2nd Earth" discovered in the constellation Cygnus. Maybe now people will stop asking what it means.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 01:49 PM   #46
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Quote:
Wifey B: I like horses and figure a camel is like a "trawler horse." Actually not, they can do 40 mph for very short periods. But elephant.....I don't know about that. Guess they were really more like a trawler though.
Google "elephant soccer". They can get up and go.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 01:59 PM   #47
Scraping Paint

City: -
I've always liked naming vessels for people. I suspect my preference for this came from my early interest in the fishing schooners out of New England and the Canadian Maritimes. Many of these were named for people: Gertrude L. Thebaud, Elsie, Elizabeth Howard, etc.

Our PNW cabin cruiser is named for a French naval captain and explorer and our latest boating venture is named for the same person. Our small boat, however, has a Hawaiian name that besides being relevant to what we do with the boat is also the name of the first boat I did a lot of fishing on in Hawaii.

Both names are easily understood on the radio; we've never had anyone reply with the wrong pronunciation or hesitation over the names.

I also like names that are terms for positive human traits and attitudes if they are appropriate to the vessel they are applied to. Endeavour is one that comes to mind as are a lot of the names that have been used by the Royal Navy over the centuries.

Names of marine life can be very nice. I always liked Walt's Seahorse, for example. Kingfisher is another one I like. I believe all forestry boats in BC were named for plants and trees. A lot of the fisheries boats in Alaska were named for birds.

Like Eric, I'm not a fan of cutesy names or "clever" double-entendre names. Obviously boats don't care what they're named-- they're just a collection of fiberglass, metal, and wood bits floating in close formation to steal a phrase from the helicopter people. Names are all about the owners, not the boats. But I do agree with Eric that the best boat names are the classy and dignified ones.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 03:02 PM   #48
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
Coleridge also wrote The Rime of the Ancient Mariner. That's becoming more appropriate for me with each passing year
And by 'The Rime Of The Ancient Mariner', I assume you mean the epic Iron Maiden song from the 'Powerslave' album?

Old 07-28-2015, 03:12 PM   #49
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
I do agree with Eric that the best boat names are the classy and dignified ones.
Yea... I disagree. I think that we all need this to be FUN!! Save the business-class names for the working boats. This is a fun pastime for almost all of us here and names like Skinny, Dippin', Salty Nuts, or Toad Farts (made that up) are just as appropriate for pleasure craft. How many Alchemy's or Xanadu's or Breaking Wind's can you seen? Check the CG registry, there are tons of repeats like that. Cute names can add a lot of variety to the gene pool and I like uniqueness.

As the saying goes, you can't change someone Else's behavior, just your reaction to it.
Old 07-28-2015, 03:15 PM   #50
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Quote:

A camel is nothing special really, just a horse designed by a committee.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 03:28 PM   #51
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
And a pretty mean, disgusting animal from the reports from my buddy who just returned from 3 yrs in the Middle East and tried the camel races.

psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote