Old 05-13-2016, 11:08 PM   #1

City: Port Lincoln
Vessel Name: Cabernet
Vessel Model: Resort 35
Which wrist watch

Which type of wrist watch is best for cruising?
Analogue, digital, Atomatic ?,
Degree of water resistance required etc.
Are alarms and features really necessary ?
All opinions welcolme.
Rubber Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 11:26 PM   #2
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
I'd get the cheapest watch that meets your needs so when it goes overboard, you won't be upset.

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 11:33 PM   #3
Guru

City: Sydney
Pffff wrist watch's are a thing of the past its 2016

Ever since I owned my first mobile phone I have never worn a watch of any sort and never lost a second in time it even has a calendar and you can make phone call on it as well
gaston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 11:49 PM   #4
Guru

City: Campbell River
Vessel Name: Blue Sky
Vessel Model: Nordic Tugs 42 Hull #001
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post
I'd get the cheapest watch that meets your needs so when it goes overboard, you won't be upset.
I've lost more than one that way; unfortunately I was wearing them at the time.
Conrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 01:01 AM   #5
Guru

City: LaConner
Vessel Model: 34' CHB
I love watches and clocks, old school I guess. I still don't text or own an I phone or whatever they are. I don't think any watch is more appropriate than others for cruising as such but admit I do like any Rolex looking type watch. Right now I wear a Steinhart Ocean One (green), an automatic (self winding) stainless watch with water resistance to 300 meters though obviously that is marketing baloney. If one is not in a good submersible vehicle it will hardly matter. I don't care for alarms or other geegaw and foofaraw on my watches, its just mostly clutter. This is a relatively inexpensive watch compared to many but its very attractive and so far pretty reliable. You can check them out on line. They ship from Germany, though are Swiss made.
78puget-trawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 01:21 AM   #6
Guru

City: Pahrump, NV
Vessel Name: Pairadice
Vessel Model: Sold Selene 47
I brought a watch cuz the admiral thought I might need it. It's here on the boat somewhere, but after 45 days of cruising and 75 plus days since we left home, haven't needed it yet. Come to think of it, not really sure where it is. Might be in that place that I seem to lose a lot of stuff along with the memory!
Crusty Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 03:49 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

City: Cameron, La
Vessel Name: Baobab
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4788
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaston View Post
Pffff wrist watch's are a thing of the past its 2016

Ever since I owned my first mobile phone I have never worn a watch of any sort and never lost a second in time it even has a calendar and you can make phone call on it as well
The difference is I know where my watch is, I can never seem to find my phone, even in the rare event of it ringing. My Walmart $20 special watch is digital with numbers so big I can read it at night without my glasses, which are about as hard to find as my phone.
dimer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 05:06 AM   #8
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. RD. I do have a wrist watch. It's in the side table beside the bed. Been there for probably 15 years. On board, a wall clock is more than sufficient for time keeping.
Old 05-14-2016, 05:18 AM   #9
FF
Guru

Spend the excess after tax income on a good ships strike clock.

It will TELL you, and the rest of the crew, the time , rather than having to look.

On offshore passages it as master clock can save a bunch of arguments from watch standers.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 05:21 AM   #10
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
I to haven't had a wrist watch since carrying a cell phone, going on 20 years. Time is also displayed in the pilothouse on the GPS and other places in the boat.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 05:54 AM   #11
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Every wrist watch I owned died an early death from persperation working it's way into stems or pushbuttons.

So I haven't worn one either since the advent of cell phones.

I am in the cheap, multi function one camp...but then I don't ever wear clothes that need a good looking watch...especially cruising.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 06:06 AM   #12
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
My watches of choice have been a Timex Explorer for several years now. Cheap, accurate, stand up to hours of swimming in salt water, easy to read dials, and I love the "Indiglo" light-up on demand feature which is extremely handy in addition to the mildly luminescent hands. I wore them, and still do, with my best business clothes too, having built a pretty high end wardrobe before becoming a boat bum.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 08:43 AM   #13
Guru

City: Everett Wa
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house
We buy the cheap pretty ones so we have several depending on the day, out fit mood. We also have lost over board. When the battery runs out it's time for a replacement. We both like the watchs with large analog faces so we can see the time with some glimor. All our watch cost under 20 bucks and most of the clocks are anolog. I usually have 3, going out, every day, and work. Wrecking a 10 watch is not as traumatic.

I will admit I have to every once in a while have to look at the phone for the day and date. When retired every day is a Saturday. What's today. Oh it actually is Saturday. So tomorrow must be Sunday, the day we go to church and rest to get ready for another week of Saturdays.
Phil Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 08:50 AM   #14
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
I haven't worn a watch since I started carrying a pager. I do have a couple clocks on the boat and of course my MFD is set up to show the time and date.

If you want a watch to wear on your boat, I would suggest an inexpensive digital watch. About $5 or less.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 10:16 AM   #15

City: Lafayette, LA
Vessel Name: presently boatless
Name:  untitled.png
Views: 1392
Size:  18.9 KB Rolex Submariner, Stainless Steel. Come on guys! You deserve to wear a fine time piece that can be handed down to future generations. Totally waterproof, rust proof and bullet proof! Besides, this is one of the few luxury items that will hold its value over time unlike our boats!
ragin cajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 10:37 AM   #16
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
When the watch costs as much as the boat....maybe its time I look in the mirror harder...
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 10:37 AM   #17
S41
Veteran Member

City: Puget Sound
Vessel Model: Currently boatless
I have been wearing the same watch for about 20 years. It is a Rip Curl stainless tide watch. Picked it up at West Marine in Virginia when I had a channel to my dock that wasn't quite deep enough for my sailboat at low tide. It was a great addition at the time. I had no idea that it was going to be the least expensive watch I have owned because of how well it has lasted.

Waterproof to 600 meters so works great swimming or snorkeling. Last year the band had to get replaced and it has had 5 batteries through the years. It looks good and is tough as nails. Tides worked great on the East coast, not so much for the PNW.

I like wearing a watch. Although I carry a smartphone, I don't like pulling it out of my pocket to look at the time.
S41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 10:45 AM   #18
Guru

City: Vermont
I too gave up on wrist watches a few years ago. I always have my phone with me so can check the time as needed. But my wife thinks I'm a human clock since I can usually tell you the time to within 5-10 minutes. And when on board or at the helm, there is always at least one clock within sight.

The biggest issue I had with watches is that they were always either too loose or too tight. It would fit fine, then I'd get outside and get working and hot, and it would be too tight. Getting rid of it was like loosening your belt a notch - something I am too prone to do.....
Old 05-14-2016, 10:46 AM   #19
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
When cruising, the only time the "time" matters to me is knowing if I'm likely to get to a marina before it closes. Oh, and timing drawbridges.

I often forget what day it is.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 10:49 AM   #20
Enigma

City: Slicker?