Old 05-14-2016, 11:53 AM   #21
Guru

City: LaConner
Vessel Model: 34' CHB
Since my grandfather Doc Freeman was a ship broker back in the day, he amassed quite a collection of ships clocks off of various surplus Navy boats he bought at auction etc. I was fortunate enough to finagle a few out of the storage room, with permission of course. Thus I have a wonderful Chelsea brass ships clock, a black bakelite Chelsea Mark 1 deck clock and a brass Seth Thomas deck clock. Yes, I like time pieces, especially nice ones. I could never quite go whole hawg and pop for a Rolex but have come close to going for a Tag Heuer more than once. For now I am happy with the Steinhart Ocean One I wear.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2786.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	87.0 KB
ID:	51952  

78puget-trawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 11:59 AM   #22
Guru

City: LaConner
Vessel Model: 34' CHB
The OP asked what type watch did we like for cruising, not how many of us sneer at having one.

78puget-trawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 12:06 PM   #23
TF Site Team

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: LISAS WAY
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Like few others here apparently I like a good quality Mechanical wristwatch.

The brand I prefer is Omega. The model I wear most of the time is a Planet Ocean.

If you ever see the inside of a mechanical watch you'll quickly apreciate the level of craftmanship required to make one.

Although I do not scuba dive...

This watch is waterproof to 2,000 feet. It has a sapphire crystal that won't scratch. The case is a type of stainess that flat will not rust or discolor.

The Omega Planet Ocean has good company among the finest mechanical dive watches ever made. Craftmanship that you just do not see in comsumer goods anymore.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	95.5 KB
ID:	51953  
www.mvlisasway.com
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 12:09 PM   #24
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. 78. I think "sneer" is a bit of a strong word. Personally I don't see the need for one considering my circumstances. The case has been made for both the high and low end models and the reasoning behind same so IF the desire to wear a timepiece is there, knock yourself out.
Old 05-14-2016, 12:32 PM   #25
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
For daily wear, my wife decided my watches should be stylish and recently Fossil has come out with interchangeable bands and straps and she enjoys switching them around. Today my band is blue with anchors in white. She also just picks up watches here and there she likes. They all have blue faces.

Now, I do own one ridiculously extravagant watch that means the world to me. One day in 2001, we fiancee and I went shopping for wedding rings. Her diamond to be blue matching the sparkle of her eyes, mine to have small blue diamonds so she's always with me. Now, during the course of already spending far more than we'd planned, we were shown a necklace and earrings which matched her ring. I sneaked a purchase of those and put them in my pocket. That night almost at the same time we told each other we had a present for them. Hers was the earrings and necklace. Mine was the watch below. We only wear them on going out, dress up occasions. I did wear mine to the office. I always feel a little closer to her when I wear it. It's a TAG Heuer, which I admit otherwise I'd never heard of. Amazingly, that same model is still in their line.

Name:  Watch.jpg
Views: 362
Size:  14.0 KB

And this is the watch I'm wearing today.

Name:  Watch Today.jpg
Views: 357
Size:  33.2 KB
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 12:40 PM   #26
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
Mr. 78. I think "sneer" is a bit of a strong word. Personally I don't see the need for one considering my circumstances. The case has been made for both the high and low end models and the reasoning behind same so IF the desire to wear a timepiece is there, knock yourself out.
Before my wife I'd worn Casio and Timex and stopped wearing those as any watch with a metal back breaks my arm out if I wear it continuously. Now we coat the backs of all of them with a silicone/plastic coating.
Old 05-14-2016, 01:10 PM   #27
TF Site Team

City: Chicago, IL
Vessel Name: Bay Pelican
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
Another viewpoint on watches. Water proof (resistant) yes. If you are anchoring out while cruising the watch will get wet. You don't need a dive watch unless you snorkel or scuba.

Cheap vs expensive. If your cruising ground is Narragansett Bay or Ft. Lauderdale, then by all means have a watch which reflects a high net worth. We cruise where it is valuable not to appear as a target so we leave all the high end stuff home, and replace it with steel wedding bands, Timex watches and plastic jewelry. Actually, I have two cheap watches and I have found getting a watched fixed or even a battery replaced is not the easiest thing to do outside of the first world countries.
Old 05-14-2016, 01:59 PM   #28
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bay Pelican View Post
Another viewpoint on watches. Water proof (resistant) yes. If you are anchoring out while cruising the watch will get wet. You don't need a dive watch unless you snorkel or scuba.

Cheap vs expensive. If your cruising ground is Narragansett Bay or Ft. Lauderdale, then by all means have a watch which reflects a high net worth. We cruise where it is valuable not to appear as a target so we leave all the high end stuff home, and replace it with steel wedding bands, Timex watches and plastic jewelry. Actually, I have two cheap watches and I have found getting a watched fixed or even a battery replaced is not the easiest thing to do outside of the first world countries.
We never wear nice jewelry when cruising of in places of risk. We don't even wear fake. The problem is good fake might look real and that can just as easily make you a target. We don't wear it exploring NYC but if we go to Carnegie Hall or the Opera we do.
Old 05-14-2016, 02:34 PM   #29
TF Site Team

City: JAX, FL
Vessel Name: Hobo
Vessel Model: Krogen 42-120
Quote:
Originally Posted by caltexflanc View Post
My watches of choice have been a Timex Explorer for several years now. Cheap, accurate, stand up to hours of swimming in salt water, easy to read dials, and I love the "Indiglo" light-up on demand feature which is extremely handy in addition to the mildly luminescent hands...
I wear one till it breaks. I've never had one leak when free diving or showering. Hard to beat at ~$35.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	001.JPG
Views:	64
Size:	148.8 KB
ID:	51956  
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 03:23 PM   #30
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragin cajun View Post
Attachment 51948 Rolex Submariner, Stainless Steel. Come on guys! You deserve to wear a fine time piece that can be handed down to future generations. Totally waterproof, rust proof and bullet proof! Besides, this is one of the few luxury items that will hold its value over time unlike our boats!
They don't keep time very well.

Most people I know who fo celestial navigation use a Timex or Casio.
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 03:40 PM   #31
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Bill11 View Post
They don't keep time very well.

Most people I know who fo celestial navigation use a Timex or Casio.
There was a time that the very expensive watches with quartz and well made were the best time keepers there was. Today, any digital watch can keep better time. Your cell phone keeps better. Timex and Casio are great for keeping time.
Old 05-14-2016, 04:58 PM   #32
Guru

City: Port Townsend Washington
Vessel Name: " OTTER "
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander Europa 40
The O.P. asked about a watch for cruising ..which when aboard "cruising" and out of cell range I stow my phone so a watch is a must. I wear for my day watch a Luninox black navy seal addition.. although the glow off the face is so bright it would surely get one shot in indian country. My nice watch is a Tag Heuer "dive watch" .. its pretty for yacht club events but of little real use.
The luminox as at least 200 dives on it and it works great.. my fav watch ever.. although a alarm function would be nice. I use the wide version of "the band" and I don't even know it's there

HOLLYWOOD

http://www.worldofwatches.com/shop-b...dsluminox-3059
hollywood8118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 04:58 PM   #33

City: Kingsville, MD
Vessel Name: Slow Ride
Vessel Model: Albin 36 D/C Hull 46 Dec 1978
I wear a Rolex daily and have for 14 years. It goes into the ocean, pool, wear it working on the boat. They keep exceptional time IF you wear it every day, and they suck if you don't wear them. I cannot see owning one just to leave it on a winding unit - that is a waste of a great timepiece.

This year on business I dropped it off at the Dallas service center for normal service that was way overdue. After several weeks it arrived at my house looking like new. BTW they have the best service I've ever encountered. Never leave the house without it.
Old 05-14-2016, 05:04 PM   #34
Ted
Guru

City: Campbell River
Vessel Name: Okisollo
I'm wearing a simple Swiss Military, have not changed time
by 20 seconds in a year. It says water resistant to 200 meters,
I'm not going to test that claim!

Ted
Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 05:17 PM   #35
Veteran Member

City: Seal Beach, CA
Vessel Name: Snooker (for now.....)
Vessel Model: 1981 34 Californian LRC
I would feel completely naked without a watch. Like Hollywood, I wear a Luminox but I went for the stainless chronograph version. It's been used and abused for three years with no issues other than the battery. If I'm awake, it's usually on my arm. That goes for diving, working on the car/boat, body surfing, cycling, etc... Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1463260285.249649.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	46.1 KB
ID:	51960

If I'm going out on the town, I have a few Panerai watches that I really like. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1463260397.196446.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	51961. I really appreciate the craftsmanship that goes into an automatic watch.

"You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."
Bustlebomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 05:38 PM   #36
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islanddreamer View Post
I wear a Rolex daily and have for 14 years. It goes into the ocean, pool, wear it working on the boat. They keep exceptional time IF you wear it every day, and they suck if you don't wear them. I cannot see owning one just to leave it on a winding unit - that is a waste of a great timepiece.

This year on business I dropped it off at the Dallas service center for normal service that was way overdue. After several weeks it arrived at my house looking like new. BTW they have the best service I've ever encountered. Never leave the house without it.
I worked with a man who wore a Rolex. He purchased it used and said it would be the only watch he'd need the rest of his life. Periodically he got it serviced. I know there are a lot of athletes and others who wear them for show, but I know there are also many like you who wear it because you believe it's the greatest watch there is. Also they still do a very good job of holding value.

Not for me and I'd be most uncomfortable wearing one on the boat, but I do understand it.
Old 05-14-2016, 06:28 PM   #37

City: Biloxi,MS
Working. A cheap timex or casio
Off the clock. Citizen radio controlled. I like it because it self adjusts to keep the time correct and has all the std time zones plus gmt and a manual set time zone.
BIG CAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 07:21 PM   #38
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
I like wearing a watch simple because I like to know what time it is. I need one at work as I am always trying to keep to a schedule. When I am not working I still like to know the time and don't feel like looking at my phone just to check the time.

I have a number of watches but only three that I where consistently. I have Citizen Eco Drive that I wear at work. It replaced a Citizen Eco Drive perpetual calendar watch that I banged up so bad it messed up one of the dials. The new Eco Drive has white hands on a black face so I can read it without my glasses. It also has a stop watch function which I use at work. That watch doesn't go on the boat.

I have another watch that I inherited from my Dad. He wore this watch every day for 40 years. It was a Stainless Yachtsman watch designed for sailboat racing. It still keeps great time and survives dunking a very well. I use it on the boat but am out of the habit of keeping a watch wound.

Today I am wearing my original Citizen Eco Drive. The band is long gone so I have a band I made from paracord. It still runs great but since one of the hands is messed up the alarm function is a bit challenging to use. Keeps great time. Water resistant to 100' supposedly never tested it. It gets dunked a lot however.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	159.6 KB
ID:	51973  

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 08:01 PM   #39
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
I use a watch for a number of things, many of which make pulling a cellphone out is impractical, and dangerous to the phone (proximity to, or immersion in, salt water) or just inconvenient (seeing what time it is in the dark, hiking, rowing, all types of swimming). About the only time I feel I can do without a wristwatch is while engaging in sedentary, indoor activities.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 08:21 PM   #40
Guru

No smartwatches?

For business purposes, I've tested them. I tested Apple and Samsung and Pebble. With one exception, I'm still trying to figure out the benefit. I always have my phone with me, so why would I try to do things on my watch instead of phone. I normally have a tablet close so I don't have to do too much on the phone. I'm dictating in a tablet now. Most of my posts are done that way.

A market trend is bigger phones so obviously size has become an issue. To me it's a huge issue with the watches.

Now to the exception. Health and Fitness. That is where I see a future. At this time, the others are well behind Apple. To me they're great for wearing to the gym and monitoring yourself. They also hold a tremendous future for older people.

Here are some of the current benefits.
1. The ability to see your daily activity. A great feature for most people to set goals and make sure you move and don't sit all day.
2. The ability to maintain information on your workouts.
3. Runkeeper with duration, distance, speed, and heart rate.
4. Watch your heart rate.
5. Meal planning, meal records, even how much water you consume in a day. Great health reminders.
6. Connection to Web MD including maintaining all your reminders for medications and records of taking them.

Here's where it gets exciting to me. We're not far from the time you'll be able to monitor your blood pressure and for those with lung issues, monitor your oxygen. Also, for those with heart conditions monitor for skipped beats. There's going to be a time doctors have you wear them. Even if you need to hook something up to other parts of your body, the phone will still serve as the composite and the warning mechanism. Breathalyzers are already functioning on iPhones. The follow up step is you blow into a connected piece and it does healthy analysis. Maintaining glucose records, INR, will be easy.

Smartwatches are the future but for far different reasons than most see them used today. Five years from now, 30% of us will be wearing smart watches. 10 years from now, 70%.

The other features will be nice, things like calendars and reminders and such, but health is where the boom is coming. The reason I'm bringing them up here is the number of people on this site who have faced health challenges. The most common reason for giving up boating is health.