Old 09-29-2010, 09:00 AM   #21

RE: WOW.....what a weekend we had.....

Thanks...found it, and read all posts with interest. An experience I'm not at all sure I'm ready for. Mammals of this size and intelligence, dancing around my boat, going underneath or whatever, is probably more than I care to handle. I freak easy. Probably should have named our boat "DON'T PANIC"...LOL

Rocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 09:33 AM   #22
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
WOW.....what a weekend we had.....

I used to think whales knew right where you were because of boat noise too until a juvenile humpback surfaced on a head on course to me about 5' to port and 20' ahead.The back and fin just humped up right there. It was no baby (prolly) about 2/3rds to 3/4
grown * * ....bigger than my Willy at any rate. The whale suddenly realized where we all were and rolled away from the boat to the right putting the fluke vertical alongside the port bow. The boat moved around a bit sorta like a mild earthquake. Contact for sure but not threatening. It was in a spot where there are lots of whales. I saw a huge humpback 2 or 3 min later w a smaller one right behind presumably mommy and teenager. I ran up between several sleeping humpbacks*in Stephens Passage in the 70s and that was even more exciting. They all blew, humped up, stuck their flukes up and dove. Some were closer than 75' and I didn't see them again.
Now when I go in company w whales I vary the throttle every min or two to keep them posted about my presence. I hate the whale watching. I think we should alter course when we get fairly close away from them * * *.....NEVER toward them. We should leave them alone and whale watching is clearly (in my opinion) harassment.

-- Edited by nomadwilly on Wednesday 29th of September 2010 09:38:41 AM

Nomad Willy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 11:44 AM   #23
Guru

City: Everett Wa
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house

Well, for Christmas you know what you can buy each other.* There is a grey and pink breast cancer auto inflatable vest and Leopard print but the Leopard print might be a little TOO MUCH.* The periwinkle is a nice color.*

We have whales off Everett year around and they have swum up the river.* My son kite boards off of Everett and he says it quite exciting having whales spout*close to him.* He fell once and the kite got tangle so he had to be*blown in through a pod that was passing through.**He said that was really scary.* He does not go way out there any more!* The whales in the Puget Sound are use to boats and people.*
Phil Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 01:32 PM   #24

Phil
Hey....how are you? Can you believe we FINALLY got her out in the ocean, I'm still all jacked up about it and its been 2 days ago...LOL. If I was in the water with a pod of whales I would have literally come undone, there would have been no rescuing me, I'd have just died right there. I can see why your son won't venture out that far now, WOWIE, what an experience. Supposedly Moss Landing has year round whale watching, we've just never gone out on any of those excusions. I've now decided these excusions are not a good thing, I really believe its harrassing to the whales.

BTW....somewhere on this site someone mentioned cleaning out the tubes of the heat exchanger with "something." I can't find the thread and I can't remember if it was wooden dowels, or maybe even a gun cleaning bristle type rod, or what. Anybody remember this conversation?
Old 09-30-2010, 06:48 PM   #25

compressed air and bloow brushes are typically for huge exchangers, you could probably get by with a wire bottle type brush. You can also soak thething in mild citric acid solutions to clean it also. Muriatic acid solutions for bad buildup.
mspaugy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 10:39 AM   #26

Thanks, will give that a try, seems easiest.
Old 10-05-2010, 09:31 AM   #27

I received this recently in an email*and since we've been talkin "whale encounters" that it was a pretty interesting photo.

THIS WAS SENT BY A FRIEND WHO LIVED IN ALASKA FOR ABOUT 30 YEARS.

The photo was taken at the entrance to Katlian Bay at the end of the road in Sitka . The whale is coming up to scoop up a mouthful of herring (the small fish seen at the surface around the kayak). The kayaker is a local Sitka Dentist. I haven't talked to him yet, but haven't heard of any injuries out of the experience.
==================
Yep, that is me in the picture. Yep that is a whale that was just around the corner from the ferry terminal.
"Paddle really fast" is the only thing I could think of at the time..
Also thinking that I don't look like a herring, don't smell like a herring but with the same herring instinct of "get the hell out of the way of that big mouth!!"
Still living to tell yet another story..
Rich K
Sitka's very own Dr. Richard Kraft during one of his routine oral examinations:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	att00236.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	132.5 KB
ID:	2831  
Old 10-05-2010, 10:10 AM   #28
Guru

City: Whittier AK
Vessel Name: Apache II
Vessel Model: 1974 Donald Jones

WOW!!!
*Can you imagine what that was like.*Talk*about your close encounters.

SD*

-- Edited by skipperdude on Tuesday 5th of October 2010 10:11:10 AM
skipperdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 11:40 AM   #29
TF Site Team

City: San Mateo, CA
Vessel Name: Pineapple Girl II
Vessel Model: PT 35

It is photoshopped!* Otherwise the kayaker would be dead of a heart attack!!*

"A March 2010 article by Sitka Sentinel Staff Writer Shannon Haugland provides more details about the image's subsequent "escape" into cyberspace:
Quote:
Sitkan Tim Shobe is known for taking photos so good they're "unbelievable.'' But none is quite so unbelievable as the one he took of his friend Rich Kraft paddling through the mouth of a bubble-feeding humpback. The photo of the humpback is real, and so is the one of Kraft. But the two together? Not real.

"He sent it to me, and I showed it around work,'' said Kraft, who is a physician at SEARHC-Mt. Edgecumbe Hospital. The image included a quip about Kraft conducting an oral exam. "It was just a picture to get a chuckle,'' Kraft said. He thought his friends would enjoy Shobe's photographic and PhotoShop skills -- and the joke -- and sent it along to a few people about 10 days ago.

But in the world of the Internet, such things take on a life of their own. Before Kraft knew it, the photo had come back to him after reaching several other people. The question was always: "Is this real?'' The caption "one plus one can still equal one" and the joke about an oral exam were missing, which probably resulted in some people being deceived, Kraft said.

He even received a call from an Anchorage reporter, and an offer from a cousin to send it to National Geographic.
Thus, as has happened many times before, a skilled - and perfectly innocent - piece of Photoshop malarkey has escaped into the wilds of cyberspace and managed to dupe a hefty number of recipients along its journey."

from* http://www.hoax-slayer.com/kayak-mouth-whale.shtml

-- Edited by Pineapple Girl on Tuesday 5th of October 2010 11:51:28 AM
Pineapple Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 11:47 AM   #30
Guru

Ok.
fooled me.
How can you tell if a pic is photoshopped what ever that means.
What ever happened to. When a picture was worth a thousand words.
Now worth about 2 cents.

SD
Old 10-05-2010, 11:50 AM   #31
TF Site Team

City: San Mateo, CA
Vessel Name: Pineapple Girl II
Vessel Model: PT 35

I couldn't believe it was real so I googled the doctor's name and "sitka" and came up with a few zillion stories saying it was fake.
Pineapple Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 12:00 PM   #32
Scraping Paint

City: -

Skipperdude wrote: "How can you tell if a pic is photoshopped what ever that means."

Many photos of this type have been "Photoshopped." If you don't know, Photoshop is an Adobe computer application that allows you to manipulate photographs, combine them, etc. in a zillion different ways.

The clues that a picture has been Photoshopped combine logic (the picture simply doesn't make sense no matter how well it's put together) and technique (shadows are inconsistent, edges of layers are obvious, etc.).

In this case, while the technical aspects of the photo merging is excellent, no kayaker in the world would continue to paddle along nonchalantly when engulfed in the mouth of a whale as this fellow is doing. Add to this the fact that whales, as large as they may be, are very much aware of every aspect of their surroundings, would not "accidentally" do something like this.

Just about every picture you see in a magazine has been Photoshopped to a degree. All the photos I've posted to this forum have been Photoshopped for example. I use the application to correct color balance, enhance saturation and sharpness, change the framing, level the horizon, etc. I don't know how to use it well enough to combine pictures and make something that didn't exist (although I do know how to do this with AfterEffects, which is the big Adobe application for manipulating video). But these days, very little of what you see in magazines, on TV, or in movies has not been treated in some way or another.

You are correct--- a photo (or video) image today is more likely to be "false" in that it does not reflect reality, than true. Given the average person's inability to detect or reason that a photo is false, we are increasingly being inundated with bogus information. This would not be an issue if it wasn't for the fact that many people will make decisions or act on this bogus information and the end result can be trouble. It's one of the things that's contributing to what I believe is the dumbing down of the population.

-- Edited by Marin on Tuesday 5th of October 2010 12:01:41 PM
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 01:10 PM   #33
Guru

What got me going was that I have seen whales feeding like this and I swear have* seen a few seagulls get taken.

SD

-- Edited by skipperdude on Tuesday 5th of October 2010 01:10:41 PM
Old 10-05-2010, 01:41 PM   #34

I thought it was a very cool photo, but had trouble believing there was a photographer conveniently close to take this shot, that was the big giveaway for me.
Old 10-05-2010, 06:38 PM   #35
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'

Marin,Why don't you photoshop those fenders off your boat
Nomad Willy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 11:15 PM   #36

Now that one gave me a real laugh
cyril444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 11:18 PM   #37
Scraping Paint

City: -

Quote:
nomadwilly wrote:

Marin,
Why don't you photoshop those fenders off your boat
Why?

Now if you'd suggested Photoshopping the whole damn boat out of the picture and replacing it with something good looking I'd see the merit in that.* But just take the fenders off?* Why bother.* It's not going to make the boat look any better, right?

-- Edited by Marin on Tuesday 5th of October 2010 11:20:50 PM
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 11:47 PM   #38
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6

Eric, did you erase*Willy's flying bridge and add the dinghy using photoshop?
markpierce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 03:45 AM   #39
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B

Well....bang goes the old "the camera never lies", so-called truth....that's for sure.

Eric, leave it, leave it - don't go there.*
However, I will haul in the fenders, when, and if, the rain stops long enough for me to shoot my new avatar, new paint job and all.* Would you believe we've just 'enjoyed' the wettest September on record.* It's now 28 degrees (Centigrade) and raining again.* But it will stop soon....I hope.* I gotta get the new names on yet.

-- Edited by Peter B on Wednesday 6th of October 2010 03:50:25 AM

Peter B is offline   Reply With Quote