Sea Ray and Meridian being sold.

https://www.tradeonlytoday.com/manuf...sletter-120517

Alaskan Sea-Duction is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 05:46 PM   #2
Guru

City: So-Cal
Vessel Name: Chelsea Rose
Vessel Model: Helmsman 43 PH
Interesting news. They leaned down the amount of models a lot. I wasn't crazy about the new designs over the past 5 years. We previously owned a 2003 SR. it was a great boat that never gave me any headaches.

Fletcher500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 05:57 PM   #3
Guru

City: Hill Country TX/S.Portland Maine
Vessel Name: Southern Cross III
Vessel Model: 1988 Defever 41
I’d hate to be a (exclusive) Sea Ray dealer right now, lots of uncertainty
Old 12-05-2017, 07:07 PM   #4

City: Rockford, IL
Vessel Name: Du NORD
Vessel Model: Albin-25
Brunswick never did Harley Davidson any favors. H-D has thrived since.
Moby Nick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 07:15 PM   #5

City: Bellingham WA
Vessel Name: Hatt Trick
Vessel Model: 45' Hatteras Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Nick View Post
Brunswick never did Harley Davidson any favors. H-D has thrived since.
My brother had a HD Sportster from the Brunswick era. It was nothing to brag about compared their later bikes.
Ken E. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 07:20 PM   #6
Guru

City: st pete
Vessel Model: 400 Mainship
I'd surely think that SeaRay is the flagship of the boat offerings that Brunswick has. Perhaps Boston Whaler is in there too.

I've heard that SeaRay has sold more boats and all the other boat manufacturers combined. Maybe not totally true, but sure seems that way. Heck, in my neighborhood we had 4 SeaRays of the same model, plus a few more. And in the surrounding neighborhoods seems like every other boat is a SeaRay. Not totally true, but sure seems like it.

Of their popular 27, 28 and 29 there are thousands of them around, and a great boat.

I think they will survive.

It's not the top quality boat, but hold its value and is predictable and extremely popular.

Wonder who the buyer will be......

Should be make a TrawlerForum Members bid on it?
Old 12-05-2017, 07:39 PM   #7

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: AZZURRA
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 54
This news is very little about Sea Ray and Meridian and all about Brunswick Corp. They are trying to free up money to shore up other struggling operations. They have a cash flow problem. Sea Ray sales were up but my guess is that reinvestiment into the brand is needed to stay fresh and Brunswick doesent have the cash.

Sea Ray and Meridian Sales were up but Brunswick sales were down over last year, that says alot, exspecialy in this economy.
tiltrider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 08:26 PM   #8

City: Rockford, IL
Vessel Name: Du NORD
Vessel Model: Albin-25
My son had a Sea Ray in Milwaukee for several years. He liked it, but has found a pontoon boat handier for diving.
Moby Nick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 08:00 AM   #9
Guru

City: Gloucester, MA
Has Brunswick been good for any of the manufacturer's they have bought? My only exposure has been Boston Whaler and Mercury. I've owned Boston Whalers for over 40 years, but now with their inseparable bundling with Mercury engines, they were a non-starter for me when I bought my last boat. We bought a Grady instead and have been very happy with it and the Yamaha engines.
Old 12-06-2017, 09:48 AM   #10
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Want to buy a Sea Ray? Not a boat, the company.

Brunswick just announced the decision to sell Sea Ray. To understand this, one must understand the real nature of Brunswick's marine business. They are in the primary business of motors and engines and parts and accessories for them. Boats are a means of selling engines as they can put their engines only in their boats.

Stern drive business continues to drop while outboard grows. What is the largest stern drive builder? Sea Ray.

So, who will buy? Probably a venture capitalist like Versa bought Hatteras/Cabo. Then they'll either shrink the company to reduce costs and get money out of it or they'll clean it up as a stand alone company for resell.

Two others I see as possible are Beneteau, which already has shown an interest in US boat builders and owns Glastron and Four Winns, and Berkshire Hathaway which owns Forest River, and of course Boat US.

This could be very good for Volvo as I could quickly see them picking up a good chunk of Sea Ray's engine business.

And how does Marine Max figure into all this as by far Sea Ray's largest customer?

I saw no mention of Meridian but assume they are dead.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 10:15 AM   #11
Guru

City: Satsuma FL/Daytona Beach Shores
Vessel Name: No Mo Trawla
Vessel Model: Hurricane SS188
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
This could be very good for Volvo as I could quickly see them picking up a good chunk of Sea Ray's engine business.
Not sure your logic is coming through. If the customer wants Cummins and Mercs, why would they give the business to Volvo?
Old 12-06-2017, 11:31 AM   #12

City: Narragansett Bay
“Not sure your logic is coming through. If the customer wants Cummins and Mercs, why would they give the business to Volvo?”

Volvo will price their engines so low to Searay that it will be hard to say no. Volvo will make up the $$$ on future parts sales to the consumer. Just guessing.
Easting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 11:37 AM   #13
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Beat you to the post B!!!

WOW Sea Ray being sold
Alaskan Sea-Duction is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 01:39 PM   #14
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donsan View Post
Not sure your logic is coming through. If the customer wants Cummins and Mercs, why would they give the business to Volvo?
The customer doesn't want Mercury outboards and Mercruiser and Zeus. The Sea Ray customer has had no choice. The outboard customer favors Yamaha but some also want Mercury, Evinrude, Honda, and Suzuki. Sea Ray has only come with Mercury. The I/O customer is about 50/50 in favoring Volvo or Mercruiser. And the pod customer is overwhelmingly IPS vs. Zeus. Look for a moment at the L590. It has to have triple Zeus because of the hp limitation when twin IPS would have performed great.

Sea Ray loses sales every day to Chaparral, Cobalt, Glastron, Four Winns and others because of lack of engine choices. I'm not saying Mercury or Mercruiser is bad, just not what a lot of people want.
Old 12-06-2017, 01:40 PM   #15
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Sea-Duction View Post
Beat you to the post B!!!

WOW Sea Ray being sold
So you did.
Old 12-06-2017, 01:53 PM   #16
Guru

City: st pete
Vessel Model: 400 Mainship
Quote:
Originally Posted by Easting View Post
“Not sure your logic is coming through. If the customer wants Cummins and Mercs, why would they give the business to Volvo?”

Volvo will price their engines so low to Searay that it will be hard to say no. Volvo will make up the $$$ on future parts sales to the consumer. Just guessing.
Easting,

I seriously doubt that. Volvo has pretty much made it clear that they think their engine is worth the premium they charge (especially the parts). Hard to get stats, but bet Mercruiser outsells them perhaps 10 to 1, and there's a reason. Merc is just better, and has significant better service.

People will buy what they want. I've passed on a few cherry Chaparrels, only because of the Volvo engines, same with Regal. Although both do sell some with Merc. Seems like all the other manufacturers favor Merc.

You couldn't GIVE me a gas Volvo engine. I've had three and know how bad the service is. Volvo diesel "may" be ok, and is popular with some new boats, but the jury isn't out for me. They'd have to prove good customer support which they have never had. At least here in western FL.

I hope SeaRay ends up a viable independent company and continues with their product line. They probably have the best history and most boats out there than any manufacturer.
Old 12-06-2017, 02:06 PM   #17
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seevee View Post
Easting,

I seriously doubt that. Volvo has pretty much made it clear that they think their engine is worth the premium they charge (especially the parts). Hard to get stats, but bet Mercruiser outsells them perhaps 10 to 1, and there's a reason. Merc is just better, and has significant better service.
Well, you start with a false premise and that is that Mercruiser outsells Volvo 10 to 1 in stern drives. They do outsell them, but that's because the two largest selling brands have offered no choice. The other major brands, Chaparral, Cobalt, Glastron, Four Winns, Larson, Regal and others all range between 65% Mercruiser to 35% Volvo and 65% Volvo to 35% Mercruiser. In Inboard Outboards we're talking primarily lake boats. That's my history until July 2012. I grew up watching the shift to more and more Volvo's and on our lake service was equal in every way. Now, as to the better unit, people will argue very strongly both ways. I have owned both and don't consider either better than the other, only different.

Not to be missed though is that the I/O market has shrunk as a percentage of the whole for many years in a row. Outboards have gained. Jets gained and now have stablized. Pods have gained. There has even been an increase of direct and v drives, both gas and diesel, in lieu of I/O.
Old 12-06-2017, 03:10 PM   #18
GFC
Guru

City: Tri Cities, WA
Vessel Name: Beachcomber
Vessel Model: Sea Ray 550 Sedan Bridge
B, it seems that European manufacturers tend to put diesel engines in smaller boats than American manufacturers. I suspect part of that is the high fuel cost in Europe.

Do you see any change in the engine lineups that could be offered in the smaller Sea Rays? Depends, of course, on who buys SR but I think the 28'-35' SR's with diesel engines would be a great boat to own.
Old 12-06-2017, 03:27 PM   #19
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by GFC View Post
B, it seems that European manufacturers tend to put diesel engines in smaller boats than American manufacturers. I suspect part of that is the high fuel cost in Europe.

Do you see any change in the engine lineups that could be offered in the smaller Sea Rays? Depends, of course, on who buys SR but I think the 28'-35' SR's with diesel engines would be a great boat to own.
Absolutely I do. More outboards. More inboards. Fewer Inboard/Outboards. Small Sundancers should, in my opinion, all be either outboard or inboard. No Stern drives in a cruiser or express type boat. Leave them for runabouts. The 260 Sundancer would be offered two ways. An outboard version and an inboard, probably v drive version. Some might even go to pods.
Old 12-06-2017, 04:04 PM   #20
Guru

City: So-Cal
Vessel Name: Chelsea Rose
Vessel Model: Helmsman 43 PH
The lack of millennials and whatever other names given to people in their 20 to 30's appear less interested and/or have the cash to get into a new boat. That was definitely my case. My wife and I were out of boating for 20 years in order to raise our kids, pay our house mortgage, and just deal with the expense of life. The typical buyer of a newer boat is now older, and closer to retirement. Those same people who want to cruise longer and have more creature comforts will be more likely to buy a trawler style boat as opposed to a Sundancer. IE, the dancers are great for day runs but not so much for longer periods. The article in Boat test appears to support this based on sales data over the past 10 years.

Fletcher500 is offline   Reply With Quote