Old 07-09-2014, 11:16 PM   #1
Guru

Wouldn't you know?

Had lunch at the yacht club with the guys and mentioned I was rebuilding my Shur-Flo fresh water pump. A check-writer at the table tells me "his mechanic" just replaced his Jabcso Par Max 3 with a new pump and I can have the pump for nothing. Took it home and of course, it works perfectly. I'm gonna put this puppy in as it has more oomph than the Shur-Flo and keep the Shur-Flo as a back-up. I wonder how much "his mechanic" made on the needless swap?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Par Max 3 001 (640x360).jpg
Views:	95
Size:	158.5 KB
ID:	31234  

ancora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 12:09 AM   #2
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Don't be so hard on check writers as I personally enjoy their hand me downs. My last one was a turbo 350 transmission that needed cleaning, fluid servicing and pan gasket. Sold it for $400 a day later. All in all a good day.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 01:35 AM   #3
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
You sound like you'd enjoy Downeast Dickering. These guys survive day-to-day doing that! All they need is "Uncle Henry's".

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 08:02 AM   #4
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Did you tell the guy it works fine and at least offered it back to him as a spare?
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 08:25 AM   #5
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Some years ago I noticed early morning ad in CL "1964 40 hp Johnson o/b and 1958 18 hp Johnson w/ 3 6-gal tanks, hoses, and controls - Free". Called and went there that morn. Loaded into my truck and set up on racks when I returned home. Not bad condition at all. Sold em separately week later. Fella had purchased really good condition 1964 21' Glasspar from estate and wanted new, larger motor on it. Guess he had too much money in check account to be bothered with selling the good condition older motors??? Go figure!

BTW: Al - "Uncle Henry's" was my friend when I lived in Maine - Early 70's
Art is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 09:59 AM   #6
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Bill11 View Post
Did you tell the guy it works fine and at least offered it back to him as a spare?
Exactly. Or, do you know what he replaced it with? Maybe he wanted something that performed differently and it wasn't so needless after all.

"Lunch at the yacht club" eh? Yours or his?

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 01:01 PM   #7
Guru

City: Fort Pierce
Vessel Name: Florita Ann
Vessel Model: 1982 Present
I have one of those that lost pressure and volume. I replaced it and am thinking of rebuilding. It is a model 31295. I looked on Jabsco's site and it did not make it clear what I needed. There did not seem to be a rebuild kit but piece meal parts. Any guidance would be appreciated.
Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 01:13 PM   #8
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
IMHO, best to purchase new with guarantee.
Art is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 02:50 PM   #9
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mule View Post
I have one of those that lost pressure and volume. I replaced it and am thinking of rebuilding. It is a model 31295. I looked on Jabsco's site and it did not make it clear what I needed. There did not seem to be a rebuild kit but piece meal parts. Any guidance would be appreciated.
Get aquainted with Depco Pump. They can advise you the best course (new, DIY or have them rebuild) and supply whatever you need at a fair price. Just for H2O alone, the Hatteras has 3 engine raw water pumps, 8 electric bilge and or sump pumps, two fresh water pumps, 2 AC pumps, a portable dewatering pump and portable bilge pump, then you have various oil change, fuel transfer units, etc...so they became a fairly important "trusted supplier and adviser" I can recommend readily.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 05:13 PM   #10
Guru

So I should tell the check-writer he was played for a sucker, instead of tellin' him I put in a rebuild kit and it's back in business? I would rather have him believe he did me a favor and got a mitzvah.
Old 07-10-2014, 07:45 PM   #11
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ancora View Post
So I should tell the check-writer he was played for a sucker, instead of tellin' him I put in a rebuild kit and it's back in business? I would rather have him believe he did me a favor and got a mitzvah.
You should do whatever you feel is right.

Personally I would tell him.

1) Because I would think he want to know his mechanic may be taking advantage of him and wasting his money. Wouldn't you?
2) Because in my opinion it's just the right thing to do. He did pay for the pump after all.

And as George mentioned there my be another reason he replaced a perfectly good pump and could care less or even know that it works fine.
Old 07-10-2014, 09:47 PM   #12

City: Whidbey Island WA
Vessel Name: MV Kika
Vessel Model: Selene 47 Ocean Trawler
I'm hardly a "check writer" but I regularly gift items to my mechanic when undertaking equipment upgrades. He repairs and resells and I enjoy a clutter free lazerette.
Old 07-11-2014, 11:28 AM   #13
Guru

Our yacht club has a place for used boating equipment that is "up for grabs." Mostly outdated electronics but some mechanical stuff. Always interestin' to sort through it for possible rebuilds.
Old 07-11-2014, 07:49 PM   #14

City: Green Cove Springs, Florida
Send a message via Skype™ to bglad
When you have time it makes sense to take a chance and save some cents, when time is sparse and you have some cents replacement makes a lot of sense...
bglad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 08:33 PM   #15
Guru

City: Fort Pierce
Vessel Name: Florita Ann
Vessel Model: 1982 Present
Rebuild, put on the shelf, rebuild the next worn out one, or buy new if unrebuildable...what good is a warranty if you need it NOW.?? Water pump is a NOW ITEM......
Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 08:41 PM   #16

City: Sharbot Lake
Vessel Name: Manatee
Vessel Model: 1976 Albin 25 DeLuxe
Why would the guy offer him his surplus equipment, knowing he was needing a pump, if he thought it wasn't fully functional. The gift calls for a thank you not a rejection. Sheesh.
Old 07-12-2014, 12:11 AM   #17
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
Why would the guy offer him his surplus equipment, knowing he was needing a pump, if he thought it wasn't fully functional. The gift calls for a thank you not a rejection. Sheesh.
It's not about rejecting a gift. It's about at least letting the guy know he may not be dealing with an honest mechanic.

But of course doing that might cut off the flow of good stuff to be had free.

And I'm guessing the "check writer" did not know the pump was functioning fine or the OP would not have felt the need to post: "So I should tell the check-writer he was played for a sucker, instead of tellin' him I put in a rebuild kit and it's back in business?
Old 07-12-2014, 12:15 AM   #18
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Making connections with the crew (giving sunglasses, lipstick, blouses, deoderent, and so on) has its benefits (as in bottles of wine and chocolate-covered strawberies in return if one can cozy up with a maitre d):

Old 07-12-2014, 04:26 AM   #19

City: Hobart
Vessel Name: Theresa
Vessel Model: Cheoy Lee 66 LRMY
Just my .02 cents worth here.
I'm a mechanic, although on vehicles,still similar problems in business.
We frequently replace parts that are still working just fine,not trying to rip anyone off at all.
What it comes down to is the expected service life of the component,the estimate of the life remaining,
the consequences of that part failing,the warranty that we have to provide on that part and who pays our time if that part fails after we fit it.

In a perfect world we could look at that part from 20 feet away and say it will/will not fail in the next 29.5 days.
One thing clients don't tolerate is telling us to check something,have us say it's OK and then it fails half way though their holidays.Yes we saved the price of a pump or whatever it is,but in the big picture we stuffed their holiday.
So we as mechanics have to be very conservative.When it's your own boat you can do what you like,we can't.
Then there is the question of labor charges,is it worth spending an hours labour on an old pump? Better to put the $ toward a new one.
Sorry for the rant,rarely do customers ever say we rip them off,
most mechanics I know put their customers best interest first.
stornoway7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 08:11 AM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

City: St. Marks, Florida
Vessel Name: Morgan
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by stornoway7 View Post
We frequently replace parts that are still working just fine,not trying to rip anyone off at all.

Then there is the question of labor charges,is it worth spending an hours labour on an old pump? Better to put the $ toward a new one.
Good point, and one that I had never thought of.