Old 07-12-2014, 12:31 PM   #21
Guru

City: gulf coast
Call backs make customers more unhappy than larger bills. Parts are often less expensive than labor so IMO mechanics are better off replacing anything questionable. Salvaging and rebuilding is for hands on folks who are willing to take the risk.

bayview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 01:19 PM   #22
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
According to the OP the pump works "perfectly". Now we don't know why the check writer (CW) replaced the pump but if it was on a mechanics recommendation that the pump was weak or otherwise suspect and the pump is "perfect" the issue at hand is whether or not the CW was horns-waggled. The OP doesn't seem to care so the issue is somewhat moot.

Old 07-12-2014, 01:24 PM   #23
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by ancora View Post
So I should tell the check-writer he was played for a sucker, instead of tellin' him I put in a rebuild kit and it's back in business? I would rather have him believe he did me a favor and got a mitzvah.
Your OP said "Took it home and of course, it works perfectly. "

Which is it? Worked perfectly or needed rebuild? Makes a difference, maybe, in what to respond to and how. Either way, why the compulsion to tell him he was played for a sucker.. it may not be the case at all, lacking all the facts.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 02:11 PM   #24
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
The way I would handle it:
"Mr. CR thanks again for that pump. It works fine would you like it back as a spare? Why was it changed out?" Let CR decide whether or not it was changed out unnecessarily. As was mentioned, could be the mechanic saw an issue or CR was experiencing problems and REQUESTED it be changed. In any case I would not consider it my pump until CR knew he gave away a perfectly good pump.
Old 07-12-2014, 08:56 PM   #25

City: Sharbot Lake
Vessel Name: Manatee
Vessel Model: 1976 Albin 25 DeLuxe
And we still don't even know whose Club it was . . .
Old 07-13-2014, 02:02 PM   #26
Guru

I have an account with a chandlery that deals mostly with professionals from the local boatyards. From their accounts, sticking it to corporate owned, foreign flagged, mega yachts is the norm as everything is written off. On the other hand, these guys are very helpful to do-it-yourselfers like myself, with advice on how to do a job, or troubleshoot a problem.
ancora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 03:03 PM   #27
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Quote:
I have an account with a chandlery that deals mostly with professionals from the local boatyards. From their accounts, sticking it to corporate owned, foreign flagged, mega yachts is the norm as everything is written off.
Wow! So you boat in an area with shady mechanics, boat yards and suppliers.

While I have no idea how this relates to your getting a free working FW pump off the "check writer", would you be willing to name this less than ethical chandlery so I can pass it's name along to my friends who, like me, operate or work on "corporate owned, foreign flagged, mega yachts" from time to time so we can avoid doing business with them in the future?

In fact where do you live? Based on what you've posted so far about the ethical mentality there it might be better for most boaters to avoid getting any boat work done or buying any boat parts in that area all together.
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 04:27 PM   #28
Guru

For your edification, a chandlery sells parts and materials to people who work on boats. They fix nothing. So you deal with a chandlery that does not sell to anyone that does not pass a lie detector test? Don't think so. I am on the side of the "little guy" who can get a break rather than multi-millionaire corporations whose vessels are foreign-flagged.
Old 07-13-2014, 05:00 PM   #29
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Also... Ancora, you put hours use on the pump to make sure it functions continuously correctly?? May be intermittent elect short or slow drip-leak. I've had both happen on fresh water pumps. IMHO - on something below $300 - Buy new. unless repair is simple, cheap, and for sure long lasting!

This weekend we had more incidental breakdowns that worth mentioning. Went out early Fri morn dropped anchor. Then up anchored and came back in Friday eve. Fixed things Friday night and most of Sat. Watched a few movies at night. Home Sunday. Waiting for one important $250 part. Have mechanic at boat yard going to install it... so next journey is out and about! OK weekend... all in all!!
Art is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 05:51 PM   #30
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Quote:
For your edification, a chandlery sells parts and materials to people who work on boats. They fix nothing. So you deal with a chandlery that does not sell to anyone that does not pass a lie detector test? Don't think so. I am on the side of the "little guy" who can get a break rather than multi-millionaire corporations whose vessels are foreign-flagged.
I kinda figured the chandlery didn't fix anything. But perhaps I misunderstood. I guess you are saying the chandlery just sells to the crooks. Fair enough.

Like it or not, those foreign flagged vessels employ a lot of little guys and gals and spend a lot of money that goes into the pockets of lots of local little guys and gals. Plus putting a lot money into the local economies where ever they go.

To bad some of those "little guys" seem to be OK with ripping them off.

Besides, if it wasn't for the check writers and mega yachts where would you get all your good free cast off stuff from? Perhaps you should consider showing them a little gratitude.
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 09:38 PM   #31
Guru

Spent the week-end on the boat (as usual) and the pump worked fine. Did notice an increase in flow when runnin' the shower which is a good thing. The old pump pulled 6 amps, this guy takes 10 amps which, according to the Jabsco data sheet is normal. I'm just glad the old pump took a dump with the boat in it's home slip rather than on a raft-up or a cruise up the coast. Ordered a rebuild kit, but will carry it aboard just to be on the safe side.
Old 07-13-2014, 09:57 PM   #32
Guru

City: Santa Cruz, CA
Vessel Name: Frisky
Vessel Model: 99 Nordic Tug
Wow, if I didn't know better, I would have thought I landed on the Dr Laura website. I didn't realize there was such a thing as proper used pump etiquette. Howabout some trawler talk?

bligh is offline   Reply With Quote