Wouldn't want to be next to this one.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hawgwash

Guru
Whatever this is, it was in the Sidney Marina today. There is missing and rotted planking on both sides. Holes big enough to reach through. Wooden stanchions 80% rotted away. I wonder how a boat like that could even be insured or allowed in a marina.

Maybe having a Rocna brings privilege?

Attachments

• 20151016_141232.jpg
    20151016_141232.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 208
  • 20151016_142709.jpg
    20151016_142709.jpg
    155.3 KB · Views: 186
  • 20151016_141105.jpg
    20151016_141105.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 185
From the planking around the pilothouse and the canoe stern I would think that is a Malahide. If it is, it's a very cool boat. If memory serves, they were initially made by Southern Marine, a boatbuilder located in Malahide, Ireland. Later, construction moved to Portugal I believe.

They are hell built for stout. The first Malahide was launched in 1972, the last one toward the end of the 70s,

If the owner is in the process of or plans to bring it up to snuff, it will be a hell of a boat when it's done. Malahide's are well worth preserving and restoring.

Here is a link to a Passagemaker article about them if you want to know more. http://www.passagemaker.com/articles/cruiser-reviews/classic-and-retro-boats/a-true-trawler-yacht/

Last edited:
It floats!

Very cool! It looks like a work in progress as those are stripped bulwarks not stantions...

I went to Malahide once, great place, in fact I stayed at the Grand Malahide Hotel and consumed tons of Guinness in the hotel bar, only to find out later that "the best pub in Dublin" (which would have to be one fine establishment) was just around the corner. I Didn't know and I never got there!

Very cool! It looks like a work in progress as those are stripped bulwarks not stantions...

I went to Malahide once, great place, in fact I stayed at the Grand Malahide Hotel and consumed tons of Guinness in the hotel bar, only to find out later that "the best pub in Dublin" (which would have to be one fine establishment) was just around the corner. I Didn't know and I never got there!

Had an "authentic" Guinness at a tavern in Cork, Ireland about ten years ago. Never a great fan of the drink (compared to other beers), but Cork was the appropriate place to consume one.

Guinness is the only beer I'll drink. Everything else tastes like watered-down cow piss.:)

Looks OK to me assuming it is a work in progress. Why not ask the owner what he has planned?

Yes, I was aboard in Campbell River.
Have also watched it's sales ad history for 4 or 5 ? years

Ted

Had an "authentic" Guinness at a tavern in Cork, Ireland
My grand uncle was a dark side remittance man from County Cork pre 1900. If he hadn't been a typical hard drinkin' scrappy Irish womanizer and a family embarrassment, I wouldn't be here.

One drink is too many for me and a thousand not enough.
Brendan Behan

Yes, I was aboard in Campbell River.
I spoke briefly with the owner today and he said he had been in Campbell River for 3 months.

His dog and cat were friendlier so I didn't ask any questions beyond where ya bin?

She rough inside as well?

Pretty near stripped out with all major systems replaced or upgraded.
Hadn't decided on final configuration. Old volvo discarded, but newer JD kept.
I found the owners to be very friendly, maybe because I knew some of the
history of the boat?

Ted

Have a good night Hawgwash, I'm going to shut down for the night.
Check-in tomorrow.

Ted

Guinness is the only beer I'll drink. Everything else tastes like watered-down cow piss.:)

Guess we will have to take your word on that. I've only had the Guinness, never thought to try the other. :)

Ted

Give me a good IPA with an IBU of between 45 and 75 and I am in heaven. I never had cow piss, watered down or not so I can not compare.

I nice single malt puts a smile on my face as well.

It's a Romsdahl, work very much in progress

Ted

Thanks, Ted. There were two boat names I was trying to think of but the only one that came to mind was Malahide. There is one in our harbor but it doesn't really look like Hawg's yellow boat. Romsdahl was the name I couldn't think of. i knew the wood around the pilothouse was a key identifier but obviously not for a Malahide.

Thanks, Ted. There were two boat names I was trying to think of but the only one that came to mind was Malahide. There is one in our harbor but it doesn't really look like Hawg's yellow boat. Romsdahl was the name I couldn't think of. i knew the wood around the pilothouse was a key identifier but obviously not for a Malahide.
At the time of your previous post suggesting Malahide, I had my doubts but would have needed another trip to the marina. There were just enough differences to give me doubt. Hefty stern stem, unique ladder to the Portuguese bridge etc.

Ted solved it and we are looking at a Romsdal probably from the 60s.

It's interesting to see the gap in the planking of the attached photo because the visible posts (??) are where the rot is so bad. It's like full length scuppers that would always be wet.

Attachments

• Romsdahl.jpg
    Romsdahl.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 71
I think that one is 1962. Yes full length scuppers, no corners to catch and hold water.
IIRC the bulwark planking is plywood, I would guess a later replacement.

Yes, here's the listing;
Thunderbird Yacht Sales (West Vancouver, BC)

The holding tank figures are"misleading" according to the owner.
As you'll note the heat, cooking etc. is all electrical

Ted

I think that one is 1962. Yes full length scuppers, no corners to catch and hold water.
IIRC the bulwark planking is plywood, I would guess a later replacement.
Yes, here's the listing;
Thunderbird Yacht Sales (West Vancouver, BC)
The holding tank figures are"misleading" according to the owner.
As you'll note the heat, cooking etc. is all electrical Ted
But every post is a corner...
They are not the same boat though, right?

NO, not the same boat, but both are Grieg class Romsdahls.
The yellow one was named Viking Fjord , now called Solar Flare.
Yes , every "post" has 4 corners, but with the full lengyh scuppers there are no "inside" corners for water to lay in. It all flows away from the ribs overboard.

Ted

NO, not the same boat, but both are Grieg class Romsdahls.
The yellow one was named Viking Fjord , now called Solar Flare.
Yes , every "post" has 4 corners, but with the full lengyh scuppers there are no "inside" corners for water to lay in. It all flows away from the ribs overboard.

Ted
So, those "posts" are a continuation of the ribs, all the way up from the keel?

Like Ted, I was aboard Solar Flare this summer while she was docked in Campbell River. In fact she was docked right behind Blue Sky and I was very happy to have her as a dock neighbour.
Some further background to this very much a working project. The previous owner had let her go to the point where she was docked against a cement pier with no fenders. The result was that the hull side planking wore through causing the boat to partially sink bow down.
Eventually she was put up for auction where the current owner purchased her for a very good price.
There was a lot of damage but also a lot of work has been done to bring Solar Flare back to life. Much of that is unseen from the dock but evident once inside.
The owners are great people and are committed to making Solar Flare a great vessel once again.
Anyone who has a Rocna (purchased after checking out ours) has good taste....

We still get commemts from pleasure boats not wanting to be next to us, as the Eagle is to big, and ugly. We started reverbishing the boat from their keel to the water line first, then the next 4 years from water line up with the boat in the water. There was dry rot under the salon sliding Windows and the Portuguese bridge. Which was repaired at the dock. The rot in the bridge was water drain back and trapped. So we repair from the inside, making air vents at the top so moisture could escape and drain holes at the bottom so water could drain also canvas from the bridge to the pilot house roof keeps most of the water off.
Having full length scupper would be nice,

Owning a older boat does require an act of love pride hobby. I prefer going on and looking at older well maintained boat as I can appreciate the effort, time and money it takes.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom