Old 03-20-2015, 10:54 AM   #61

i that will followbeen flying them now for over a year,and i have insurance to cover me and any damages i cause. they have them that will follow you where ever you go and can operated with a smart phone,you can get one that will land in water and take pictures under water,all in all i enjoy flying them thats my hobby.what about model airplanes????

capt jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 11:14 AM   #62

City: MD
Vessel Name: Blue Yonder
Vessel Model: 37
Just like with jet skis, the moron class will screw it up for responsible operators. I suspect there will be an incident with serious injuries that will result in significant restrictions to drone operations. The cretins with the green lasers are finally getting police attention and I expect drone operators will come under increased scrutiny also.

BlueYonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 06:24 PM   #63

City: Benicia CA
Or, you could always train your pet hawk to do it!

Nsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 06:56 PM   #64
Scraping Paint

City: -
The other week the news helicopter from KOMO-TV in Seattle was hovering about 500 feet covering a news story. The pilot happened to glance up and there was a quad-copter hovering just above the helicopter. The chopper pilot reported this to the FAA who became extremely concerned. I don't recall if they found the drone pilot or not.

While a drone might damage a turbofan engine on a jetliner it would not cause the jetliner to crash. However, if a drone hit the main or tail rotor of a helicopter, it could cause a momentary unbalance bad enough to damage the chopper and cause the pilot to lose control.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 07:01 PM   #65
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
The other week the news helicopter from KOMO-TV in Seattle was hovering about 500 feet covering a news story. The pilot happened to glance uip and thiere was a quad-coptere hovering just above the helicopter. The chopper pilot reported this to the FAA who became extremely concerned. I don't recall if they found the pilot or not.

While a drone might damage a turbofan engine on a jetliner it would not cause the jetliner to crash. However, if a drone hit the main or teil roator of a helicopter, it could cause a momentary unbalance to damage the chopper and cause it to lose control.
Clearly right to air space, rules for flying, are going to have to be defined. The current rules didn't anticipate every kid on the street flying a plane like thing high above.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 07:12 PM   #66
Guru

City: Joe Wheeler State Park, Al
Vessel Name: Serenity
Vessel Model: Mainship 36 Dual Cabin -1986
Quote:
Originally Posted by knotheadcharters View Post
So why is ok for the individual to invade my space but not ok for me to defend my space? In other words why is he afforded greater protection than I?
This statement got me to thinking.
Say for instance I own riverfront property. neither me or any boater own the river. Heck, I don't even like boats, I like the river view. A boat comes by playing music and 'ruining' my view. Can I shoot at his boat?. After all, he is invading my perceived airspace because I can see and hear him from my property.
Why should he be afforded greater protection than I?
Old 03-20-2015, 07:34 PM   #67

City: Florida USA and Ontario Canada
Vessel Name: anytime
Vessel Model: 2007 Chaparral 270 Signature LOA 29'
Slightly different scenarios ... space immediately above vs land/water around which is owned by somebody/public. The second scenario is well defined by law and regulated, the first one not yet ... do you own the first 3 feet, ten feet, height of your structure and then some space above it? This is where there is a legal vacuum as of now.
Old 03-20-2015, 07:49 PM   #68

City: Portsmouth, NH
Vessel Name: Misfit Toy
Vessel Model: 79' Mainship 34 MKI
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
"When one gets sucked into an engine and brings a commercial jet down, then the FAA will step in"

The simple loss of an engine will not bring a commercial jet down.
Maybe for a sharp pilot that knows his engine out procedure. One last month over in Asia knife edged it into a bridge on the takeoff roll which the FAA believed to be due to loss of power in one of the engines (it was a twin).

Planes have enough reasons to crash, a drone shouldn't be one of them.

Lets not forget the one that needed the Hudson to land, could have been a drone instead of a bird. That sounds like I'm a nut but as someone that flies planes and runs boats, I take operating stuff seriously. Unfortunately drone operators (I refuse to call them pilots) are mostly on the opposite end of the spectrum.

Airspace for drones really needs to be defined not only for public safety (densely populated areas cannot have aircraft flying below 1000') and for privacy. It's almost unnecessary because as soon as something comes out, GoPros will be equipped with telephoto lenses
Skinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 08:00 PM   #69

City: MD
Vessel Name: Blue Yonder
Vessel Model: 37
Why would anyone think it was OK to operate what is essentially a flying buzz saw within a few feet of an unwilling participant?
BlueYonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 08:13 PM   #70

The same people that want you to see their new $1200 flying camera. I've witnessed so many people flying them around crowds of people in parks and beaches...quite comical. Hovering over people with 5-10' to spare. If something failed...someone is getting a haircut
Old 03-20-2015, 09:31 PM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinny View Post
The same people that want you to see their new $1200 flying camera. I've witnessed so many people flying them around crowds of people in parks and beaches...quite comical. Hovering over people with 5-10' to spare. If something failed...someone is getting a haircut
i have to find out what kind of a Anchor i can use just in case of a problem LOL
capt jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 09:37 PM   #72
Guru

I think drones are going to end up with some very strong rules. Just to give you an idea of how the FAA feels in general, look at the approval to test Amazon just got for their certificate to test:

Under the provisions of the certificate, all flight operations must be conducted at 400 feet or below during daylight hours in visual meteorological conditions. The UAS must always remain within visual line-of-sight of the pilot and observer. The pilot actually flying the aircraft must have at least a private pilotís certificate and current medical certification.

I believe there was also another provision that limited the buildings it could fly over. Rumors are that Amazon may go to Australia for their testing as Google did. But just seeing the concerns here from a few drones, imagine Amazon's drones everywhere instead of UPS, Fedex, USPS trucks.

I think ultimately height will be very restricted as will be proximity to homes, buildings and people. Also I think to do it commercially will require licensing.
Old 03-20-2015, 09:58 PM   #73
Guru

Wifey B: News Flash

The FAA announced flying drones to require drone air manning licenses, hence forth referred to as Dam licenses. Even current pilots would require a dam certification. Requirements will include at least 360 Air Days to get a 50 lb. drone license with further requirements for 100 lb., 200 lb., 500 lb. and unlimited. Other drone crew, such as watchkeepers and stews who maintain the drone operating centers will also have training requirements with all undergoing minimum safety requirements. Also, based on experience one can be licensed for inland only, for coastal or to cross oceans. Detailed requirements for Dam licenses and operation of drones will be written by a cooperative of 133 nations and will be called Standards of Training, Certification, and Watchkeeping (STCW).

In a separate release, the Maritime Yacht Training Hosts (MYTH) led by all maritime training schools worldwide has applauded the decision and assured all involved that they will make sure they can provide the necessary courses to meet the implementation date.

Sophia Lo Wren, spokeswoman for MPTIPT in Fort Lauderdale stated, "While we have increased our size dramatically to accommodate the requirements of USCG licensees to conform to STCW, we will quickly expand by many times more. Average course prices will be $1000 for each level. We project our annual revenues growing from $300 million to $1 billion within two years and $5 billion within five years. We thank all the IMO signatory countries for making what could be simple as complicated as possible and insuring our success forever.

The writer of this, Ms. Chime Delicious, closely follows the yacht and drone worlds as a writer for both the Fort Lauderdale Obvious Sun Sentinel (FLOSS) and the Snafu Herald. (SNAFU).
Old 03-20-2015, 10:13 PM   #74

I doubt that the little ones the public fly fall into that category. I'm sure there are stipulations regarding non-commercial activity as well.
Old 03-20-2015, 10:29 PM   #75
Guru

Quote:
I doubt that the little ones the public fly fall into that category. I'm sure there are stipulations regarding non-commercial activity as well.
Fall into what category?
Old 03-20-2015, 10:48 PM   #76

I think Skinny just got "punked" by Mrs. B.
Old 03-20-2015, 10:53 PM   #77
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nsail View Post
I think Skinny just got "punked" by Mrs. B.
Wifey B: Not lil innocent me....
Old 03-20-2015, 11:17 PM   #78

FF's point was a single engine failure on a commercial jet, in which he is correct - not normally the cause of a crash.

Quote:
Maybe for a sharp pilot that knows his engine out procedure. One last month over in Asia knife edged it into a bridge on the takeoff roll which the FAA believed to be due to loss of power in one of the engines (it was a twin).

If you're talking about the TransAsia flight, it is strongly believed that neither engine was performing properly, and, it was not on the takeoff roll, but several mile from the airport.

Planes have enough reasons to crash, a drone shouldn't be one of them. Absolutely!

Lets not forget the one that needed the Hudson to land, could have been a drone instead of a bird. That sounds like I'm a nut but as someone that flies planes and runs boats, I take operating stuff seriously. Unfortunately drone operators (I refuse to call them pilots) are mostly on the opposite end of the spectrum.

Again, a dual engine failure, not single. And not by a single bird, but a flock of Canadian Geese (Canada Geese to the PC people). Big difference.

Airspace for drones really needs to be defined not only for public safety (densely populated areas cannot have aircraft flying below 1000') and for privacy. It's almost unnecessary because as soon as something comes out, GoPros will be equipped with telephoto lenses
Your point about drones, privacy, and operating stuff seriously is spot on, I just wanted to confirm my agreement with FF's point.

And, look up Sophia Loren, er... Lo Wren. Hot Stuff!
Old 03-21-2015, 12:55 AM   #79
Veteran Member

City: hazelwood north
Vessel Name: GULL
Vessel Model: WW2 Work boat
CASA here is Australia have already started fining drone operators CASA drone fine: Queensland man fined for flying drone
crashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 02:21 AM   #80
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashley View Post
CASA here is Australia have already started fining drone operators CASA drone fine: Queensland man fined for flying drone
Fine should be doubled for the stupidity of posting it on You Tube.