Old 03-17-2015, 12:19 PM   #21
Technical Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
Get a spinning rod with a fair sized sinker, light test line, and go casting. If you don't hit it with the sinker, got a fair chance it will tangle in the line. Might even retrieve the thing.

It's called "fishing"!!
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 12:27 PM   #22
Guru

City: Hill Country TX/S.Portland Maine
Vessel Name: bout’ time
Vessel Model: Grady White 282 Sailfish
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Bill11 View Post
What leads you to believe shooting at or shooting down a remote controlled drone that may or may not have a camera on it flying around in a open public anchorage would be "perfectly legal"?
It may not be legal (who knows the laws are changing as we speak) but I'd take my chances anyway. Maybe I should be allowed to drive my R/C truck with the camera mounted on it around the park and look up ladies skirts
Old 03-17-2015, 01:17 PM   #23
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
I got news for everyone.....30+ years ago I was flying law enforcement officials all over the place in helicopters with night vision, IR, and super gyro stabilized lenses in perfect legal compliance.

We busted many an illegal fisherman, marijuana field, drug transaction, illegal marina, etc...etc....

Drones and military and law enforcement have been thoroughly reviewed for legal precedence. As the media has for prying into VIA situations. The NBA probably records or at least monitors your ever cell call.

Nothing new here...just the ability you have to prove the drone was a "peeping tom" versus the drone pilots claim to open domain.

The privacy issue will never be an FAA call.....if anything they will mandate they fly lower than kites.
Reality is you may or may not be monitored. We are very familiar with their skills in that regard from a situation years ago where it was not secret but by choice.

Long long ago, I landed in Bogota on a business trip. The date was December 2, 1993. There sure was a lot of security. We couldn't pull in the drive to the hotel, but had to walk up from the street. The Colombian Army had just killed Pablo Escobar. Now there was no violence or problem as it turns out. His power had diminished over the years of prison and hiding. But it was the method of his capture that sounded like a fictional movie.

Joint US ops of Seals and Delta Force plus Centra Spike joined together and trained a Colombian force. From what I heard while Escobar was in hiding all phone calls in and out of the area were monitored looking for his voice. Apparently he avoided making calls. However, he'd sent his family to Germany for asylum and they were refused. He talked to his wife on the phone. Using triangulation they located him, moved in, and he ended up dead. I'm sure things are far more advanced than then, but on that date I realized that US forces had powers I'd never imagined.

Really much of it comes down to what you do. If you don't do anything wrong then you can think of it as protection. If you do something wrong, then it's to catch you. After some things we experienced, I assume everything we do is known. There was that time in the past where knowing their capabilities was extremely comforting.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 01:18 PM   #24
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by roguewave View Post
It may not be legal (who knows the laws are changing as we speak) but I'd take my chances anyway. Maybe I should be allowed to drive my R/C truck with the camera mounted on it around the park and look up ladies skirts
But that is illegal. So you can't compare the two.
Old 03-17-2015, 01:39 PM   #25
Technical Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
Someone is going to convert these hobbiest drones into hunter/killers. Probably already done.

This is going to get interesting...

Every time I read about this stuff, I want to buy one. Like I need another way to waste time...
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 03:04 PM   #26
Curmudgeon

City: Stoney Creek, MD
Vessel Name: Moon Dance
Vessel Model: 1974 34' Marine Trader Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski in NC View Post
Someone is going to convert these hobbiest drones into hunter/killers. Probably already done.

This is going to get interesting...

Every time I read about this stuff, I want to buy one. Like I need another way to waste time...

Yup! More Russian yoots!

BaltimoreLurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 03:22 PM   #27

City: marina del rey
Vessel Model: Goldenstar sportfisher
Smile

What about another angle. Your are relaxing on your boat in your space, so go fly a kite! These objects have to share airspace, and if your kite line wraps around their rotor or prop, life happens.
Goldenstar38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 06:32 PM   #28

City: Portsmouth, NH
I agree to an extent that they invade privacy and tend to be annoying since most operators I've seen fly under the concept that "everyone wants to see my drone up close". I like the technology and am quite impressed with how they are actually able to package the entire concept together for the price.

The FAA is going to take forever coming out with regulations. If they cared, they would have stepped in awhile ago. It offends me that I had to train and take an FAA knowledge and hands on exam to prove I have proper piloting skills. Any dub can swipe a credit card, charge the batteries, and fly into controlled airspace with one of these. Hard to do with a kite unless you are good standing on the big white line on the approach end holding the string

IMO, FAA should really impose some basic regs about lights, operating limits (like not within 200' of a vehicle, residence, or human being, etc.) and penalties for non-compliance. Oh yea...tail number anyone? If my plane requires them, so should theirs!

I guess it is no different than the RC scale aircraft. The key difference I would assume is that the large majority of operators actually built the plane probably wouldn't risk flying it close to something risky or want to lose hundreds of hours worth of labor.

Everyone's suggestions really open themselves up to liability. I personally would do some research on what the signal frequency looks like, figure out how to transmit on that band, and just blast it with some good ol' fashion noise. When it drops like a dead fly you just sit back and laugh. Who's got the coolest photon dagger now drone boy???
Skinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 06:46 PM   #29
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinny View Post
I personally would do some research on what the signal frequency looks like, figure out how to transmit on that band, and just blast it with some good ol' fashion noise. When it drops like a dead fly you just sit back and laugh.
That's actually probably the smartest suggestion here and for a techie should not be difficult to implement. The unit could combine a frequency search function and once the drone's control frequency was determined a jamming signal could be broadcast on that frequency to "blind" the drone from the control inputs it's getting.

While I don't fly RC aircraft I have a couple of friends who do, and they tell me that today's control units automatically search out the frequencies being used by other nearby flyers and select a different one for the airplane associated with that unit. So it sounds like the auto-detection function is being used now in the RC world.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 06:53 PM   #30

City: Huntsville, AL
Vessel Name: Sea Note
Vessel Model: Mainship 40
Great idea of Mules'. Havent played with a potato gun in years. LOTS more fun than frequency hunting with gismos. Like the idea any way.... At least until I get one of those spy coptors of my own.!
Toolbuddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 09:59 PM   #31
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Drone Captures Steve Jobs yacht Venus
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 10:39 PM   #32
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
I've been talking to a drone company about making a drone for offshore fishermen. These guys love filming themselves catching big fish. You wouldn't believe how many GoPro cameras I sell.

The drone would be waterproof of course. It would have a follow me feature so when a fish is hooked, it could be launched and forgotten. While the fish was being fought, the drone would just sit up in the air, following the boat, and filming the action. It would need an auto return to boat feature for when the battery got low. The idea being that once launched, the people in the boat would not worry about it and just catch the fish.

To get one to do all this, it would probably have to sell for between two and a half to three boat bucks maybe more.
Old 03-18-2015, 11:17 PM   #33
Guru

City: Seabrook, Texas
Vessel Name: Small World
Vessel Model: Defever 50
If you're not on your own property, it's not legal. If you are on your own property (not often the case for a boat) it might be legal. I believe the US Supreme Court has ruled that the landowner also owns the airspace above his land up to some height. I'm not sure if it's 500' or 1,000'. Anyway, probably higher than most copters fly. That means the drone is trespassing when flying over private property. But, using deadly force is probably not legal.

As appealing as it would be to shoot down a voyeuristic drone (the suggestion of using a 50 cal is my personal favorite) it's probably not the best life choice. Just my 2 cents.
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 11:41 PM   #34
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Bill11 View Post
There was another video somewhere that Venus was anchored and photographers were in a boat trying to get shots. The blinds all closed quickly as did the tender openings. Everything got locked up amazingly quickly.
Old 03-18-2015, 11:46 PM   #35
Guru

City: League City, TX
Vessel Name: Pelago
Vessel Model: Wellcraft 3300 Coastal
No need to waste ammo, or even make noise for that matter. Electronic warfare is the answer.

Drone Free Zone: How To Build A Radio/Drone Jammer

Apparently highly illegal in the US, but . . . . .

Probably not very good for your onboard electronics suite, or boats near you either.
Old 03-19-2015, 06:59 AM   #36
Guru

City: Cape May, NJ
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
Vessel Model: Monk 36
One of our locals made the news:
Man Arrested for Allegedly Shooting Down Remote Control Drone - Cape May County Herald

No word on the final outcome.
1984 Monk 36 Hull #46
Currently in Cape May, NJ
High Wire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 07:27 AM   #37
Guru

City: Cape Cod
Vessel Name: Slip Aweigh
Vessel Model: Prairie 29
That reminds me....

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryM View Post
No need to waste ammo, or even make noise for that matter. Electronic warfare is the answer.

Drone Free Zone: How To Build A Radio/Drone Jammer

Apparently highly illegal in the US, but . . . . .
My son returned from an electronic design symposium in Taiping. He gave me a 'cell phone jammer' about the size of a pack of cigarettes. It works like a charm. BUT it is illegal in the US. But boy is it nice to shut up the loudmouths who insist on talking so loud every one near them knows what they and how important they are doing whatever it is they are doing. I try to keep it holstered, since I don't want to danger anyones pacemaker or anything. It only has about a 30' range so wouldn't work on drones. But the idea is a pretty good way to go for them.

Regarding the airspace above someones house. I believe until boats are universally considered a home (and not a vehicle) the privacy laws are difficult to enforce. If something is withing 50' or so, and specifically photographing (and especially recording audio) it is within your right to challenge the photography. But unless video AND audio are on there seems to be not much that can be done to stop it. Prevent it, maybe. but not stop it.
cappy208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 10:02 AM   #38
Guru

City: Little River SC
Vessel Name: JAZ
Vessel Model: Ta Chaio/CT35
I like to skeet shoot off the sundeck in an anchorage with my 12 gauge. That darn drone flew right in front of my sporting clay. OOPS!
windmill29130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 10:31 AM   #39
Guru

City: Satsuma FL
Vessel Name: No Mo Trawla
Vessel Model: Hurricane SS188
Has this thread morphed into the "Wild, Wild West?"
Donsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 10:56 AM   #40
Guru

City: Little River SC
Vessel Name: JAZ