Old 08-24-2011, 02:39 PM   #21
Scraping Paint

City: -
RE: Would you run aground on purpose

Going back to your original post, you say you hit something but I gather you have so far not experienced any problem as a result? No leaks, cracks, vibration, funny noises, etc? If that is the case why not simply wait until the Travelift, tidal grid, or trailer are repaired and haul the boat with no risk. Or, as others have suggested, hire a competent diver and see what he finds. We have a diver dive on our boat twice a year and he gives very complete and clear descriptions of what he sees.

To quote one of RickB's comments from another discussion, careening your boat seems like it might be a solution that's in search of a problem :-)

Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 03:15 PM   #22
Guru

City: Whittier AK
Vessel Name: Apache II
Vessel Model: 1974 Donald Jones
Would you run aground on purpose

Several issues. One is time. Winter is coming on fast in my area. I have about 4 weeks before the winter storms start. There is no water coming in but there has to be a significant scar on the hull judging by the sound it made when I struck what ever it was. If I don't do something soon I will be stuck in the water till spring.

I am not really concerned about this venture. If I have to haul her I will stay on the hard for the winter. I'm not ready for that yet. If I had another way out of the water I would take advantage of it.

The beach I am going to use is softer than sand it is comprised of glacial silt and volcanic ash. I have seen other commercial fishing*boats in the same place.

The last reason is my pockets are not deep enough to pay for something I can do myself.

Thanks for your concern. I am certain everything will be fine. If the weather holds I will take some pics of the endeavor.

SD

Marin By the way thanks for the word* careening. I like it.

-- Edited by skipperdude on Wednesday 24th of August 2011 03:29:25 PM

skipperdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 05:02 PM   #23
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic

*I* wouldn't do it! No way.
Tom.B is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 05:35 PM   #24
Guru

City: Biloxi, MS
Vessel Name: Cajun Rose
Vessel Model: Biloxi Lugger

skipperdude, do you need some help. I would love to help watch and have a few beers my self. My boat has two keels. We don't get more than 2 or 3 foot of tidal difference but we have shallow everything around here. I don't see any problem that you would have but I would just to be on the safe side rent a trash pump. 2" gasoline powered pump, incase you have a problem you could pump it out as the tide rises. Good luck, I would also get some new zinks and some hammers to bang out any dents in the wheel.
swampu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 05:37 PM   #25
RED

One thing I would add is to be careful about head and galley thru hulls. If you have an outboard sink in the galley, for instance, water can back up through the thru hull and the sink since it will be lower than the rail of the hull. So the sink can sink the boat!
RED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 05:39 PM   #26
Guru

City: Biloxi, MS
Vessel Name: Cajun Rose
Vessel Model: Biloxi Lugger

Your not in Thorne Bay are you? There's another thread you might be interested in.
swampu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 05:43 PM   #27
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin

Quote:
skipperdude wrote:
I plan on grounding the boat this weekend I need to check out the keel. I hit a dead head or something last weekend*and I'm to cheap to hire a boat lift for this.

I know a sandy beach where the water go's out 6 or 8 ft. A friend of mine anchored his 36 ft sailboat there and wound up on the hard accidentally.

Shouldn't be a problem if I can just get her to lay on the side I want her to. I plan on using a kedge anchor off to port and ease her over on that side.

I have a couple of large bouy's. The plan is to use my hydraulic davit to snug them under the side to keep her from going all the way over on her side

Then Just hang out and wait for the tide to come back in.

Do you think I'm nuts?

SD

Skipperdude

Youre not nuts... just adventurous!* Early 70s while living in Maine on Penobscot Bay Id help beach older single screw, keel/skeg wooden Lobster Boats for full-on hull cleaning.* A tide for one side and next tide for other side plenty beer in between. *All ya gotta do is have the boat tied off into position (3 light*anchors pre set at short scope work well) and boat weighted correctly as keel rests on bottom (thats where the beer came in as we sat on opposing gunnel) **Used the same spot over and again...*we always knew what to expect for bottom conditions.* Thing I see with your soon to occur adventure is that we did it to full bottom clean.* For only a quick check on running gear,*keel, or hull wed simply jump in the water with mask on and flashlight to see what the F was up!* Know you said you dont dive... but you must have a boaten friend that does!* Them oblong things*DO come down out of mouth after getting used to the water temp for a couple minutes.* Then if damage looks too severe head her to a haul out!!* Also, Lobster Boats are low profile with real light (next to no) super structure height, therefore easy to float before rising water came over the low gunnel.* Yours??? I cant see by pict on forum too well... but looks to me that its a bit top heavy, as compared to the old LBs I helped do.* As Marin and others mentioned you dont want that baby to start taking on water before she pops up and starts to right herself.* IF that even begins to occur, you might be in trouble.* Youll need a six pack or more of friends hanging their arses way over the other side gunnel!* Just in case... be sure your ins will cover if S hits the fan!* Best luck!* If you do it I look forward to the picts you mentioned.

Cheers!*Art*
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 06:54 PM   #28
Guru

Vessel Name: Anastasia III
Vessel Model: Krogen 42

I never want to let the boat's bottom touch anything, but if my hull was holed, a thru-hull let go, or similar... hell yea I would ground her on purpose, to keep her from sinking. That's a decision you need to make ahead of time, so that you don't waste precious time trying to decide if it happens to you.
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 06:57 PM   #29
Guru

City: Vallejo, California
Vessel Name: Mahalo Moi
Vessel Model: 1986 Grand Banks 42 Classic

Why not hire a diver to check out the bottom?
Giggitoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 07:40 PM   #30
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea

If I was where you are, had the boat you had, and had to consider the other conditions you mentioned (including the softness of the beach selected), yeah, I would do it just the way you describe.
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 08:11 PM   #31
Guru

City: Port Townsend Washington
Vessel Name: " OTTER "
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander Europa 40

Go For It!

Get a number of old car tires to place on the low side.. and a some old scraps of carpet . A gentle slope beach works better than a flat.*

Take pictures for the folks who think it is a horrible idea

HOLLYWOOD
hollywood8118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 08:11 PM   #32
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC

SD, I love your spirit. I wish I could be there to 'help', which is code for watching, drinking beer while sitting up your high rail, and wishing you well as I cheered you on and recorded your adventure for a possible YouTube posting!!

Take a close look at the boat on the far left in Marin's Mousehole picture. He has some sort of footing or support attached to the gunwales which keeps his boat upright and balanced on the keel. Maybe it'd be easy to fashion some sort of side support to keep her upright. I also like the idea of having a high capacity pump standing by if needed.

PLEASE take lots of pics and a good video if all goes to crap! YouTube pays money for videos with lots of hits. It can help you recoup the cost of recovery!
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 11:15 PM   #33
TF Site Team

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: LISAS WAY
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788

Why don't you just use the skid/rack. I don't think the harbor charges for that. Then you know it would work.
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 12:21 AM   #34
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6

Resting on mud doesn't seem as nerve-racking as being hoisted.
markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 04:27 AM   #35
FF
Guru

Would I ground my boat on purpose?

Done it since the 60's and would happily do it again.

A good stern line will help on the re float .

Tension the line and as soon as the slightest lift is felt the boat will pop aft and your on your way to deeper water.

3/8 line and a Danforth 35H is perfect.

You can lay out 200 or 3ooft and modest tension will give 30-40 ft of boat movement.

Assuming 10%12% stretch .
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 09:39 AM   #36
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan

Quote:
markpierce wrote:
Resting on mud doesn't seem as nerve-racking as being hoisted.

__________________________________________________ ______________

God! There's that cradle again! :crying:

<br class="largePrevImg" />*
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 10:34 AM   #37
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin

Quote:
FF wrote:
Would I ground my boat on purpose?

Done it since the 60's and would happily do it again.

A good stern line will help on the re float .

Tension the line and as soon as the slightest lift is felt the boat will pop aft and your on your way to deeper water.

3/8 line and a Danforth 35H is perfect.

You can lay out 200 or 3ooft and modest tension will give 30-40 ft of boat movement.

Assuming 10%12% stretch .

Cracken Good Idea FF!

Especially for a low profile boat with appropriate weight distributions that reduces superstructure leverage-height at its beached angle and not too deep a keel that may roll the boat at an exaggerated angle once it fully rests on the bottom.* Those items are for Skipperdude to calc in this instance.

As long as the bay bottoms profile does descend*(and not at ascend before the lines stretch is relaxed)*so the water continually gets deeper (enough) as the 3/8 anchor lines stretch pulls boat backward into float-water then the Self Righting capabilities of the boats hull form in accordance with its superstructure leverage-height and equipment weight distributions should do its thing for a successful re-float.* Where we grounded lobster boats the shore angle was about 4 in 12 so it was easy to push*back off soon as buoyancy returned during tide rise.* Also the shore bottom was rather firm with basically a gravel/small stone texture so we experienced no suction of hull to shore. *And, the LBs had rather skinny keels with next to no superstructure leverage-height so they began to float way before the water got near the lower gunnel.*

Only caution I might still mention... what if the boat hull is lying over so far that its superstructure leverage and equipment weight distribution does not allow it to begin to float at all (so anchor line stretch-pull is not yet applicable) before water rises over the low gunnel?* Would a gas powered emergency fire pump (as someone mentioned previously)*enable ample discharge to get past this water incursion (if it occurs), to reach the point of initial hull buoyancy as tide rises so the line stretch can then help right the boat by rapidly pulling it to deeper water??* I only mention this because Skipperdudes pict makes it look like there is a lot of superstructure and considerable taller equipment extending way above the superstructure that could produce considerable leverage-height that may interfere with the hull gaining the flotation-displacement %age needed as tide rises.* Your boats pict seems to show a lower leverage-height profile and I wonder the difference between your and his keel depth / bottom design.

It will surely be an exciting event during all its portions. *

I recommend*thinking all aspects through!*

My best wishes to your success on this adventure*Skipperdude! - Art **

Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 01:36 PM   #38
Guru

City: Whittier AK
Vessel Name: Apache II
Vessel Model: 1974 Donald Jones

Doesn't look like it is going to happen this weekend.

*Forcast is for 6 to 8 ft seas winds to 30 knts. Friday and saturday. it is supposed to lay down on sunday but just not enough time.

SD
skipperdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 01:52 PM   #39
Guru

City: Sunset Beach, NC
Vessel Name: Polly P.
Vessel Model: Monk 36

I know this thread is about intentional grounding.* But I couldn't help posting this unintentional one...

Egregious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 06:15 AM   #40
Guru

City: Saint Augustine, Fl.

I don't see what the big deal is. I would do it in a heart beat (and have done it). Pick your wx, know your beach and maintain WTI and your good to go!
The tires under the chine is a good suggestion. Bobcat (skidsteer) tires are ideal for this-short and wide. I rolled my newly constructed 30' hull onto tires with the help of 8 or 9 friends and a couple of cases of beer.

Intentional grounding, "drying out" is done routinely . Some municipallities in New England have "grids" for such activities (mostly lobster boats). It is the same evolution with or without the grid.

Sailor of Fortune is online now   Reply With Quote