Old 12-03-2012, 04:08 PM   #1
Guru

City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet PY/SP
Would you cross the Gulf of Mexico in this?

I'm still working on my shiny Mainship deal that Momma likes, but I ran across this sucker and had to get 'yalls opinion........

Salty !! View Boat Photos - YachtWorld.com

Looks a little crude, and no bow thruster so I'm sure I couldn't drive it, but it's interesting!

That draft could be a little trouble in the ICW however........
cardude01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 04:21 PM   #2
GFC
Guru

City: Tri Cities, WA
I think that boat would take you anywhere in the Gulf you wanted to go. Its steel hull has probably beat down more waves than you'll ever see. It's not my style of boat, but if I were in the market for a trawler that's one I would want to take a peek at. It looks like it's been maintained very well.
Old 12-03-2012, 04:41 PM   #3
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Having owned a steel hulled boat, 2 sayings come to mind:

Glass (fiberglass) is fast, but steel is real (when you hit something floating).

If you buy a steel boat, you will chase rust from the day you buy it till the day you sell it.

My other comment would be that there are a lot of places that a 7'8" draft won't let you go. As someone else on a forum put it," We all bump bottom occasionally; some of us just do it farther off shore than others".

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 05:14 PM   #4
Guru

City: Biloxi, MS
Vessel Name: Cajun Rose
Vessel Model: Biloxi Lugger
If you cut that top contraption off it would look like mine but with a 4' extra draft. Be a good gulf crosser though.
swampu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 05:33 PM   #5
Guru

City: Little River SC
Vessel Name: JAZ
Vessel Model: Ta Chaio/CT35
2500 gallons of fuel with only a range of 2000nm. NOT ME!!!!!!!!!! The main reason I'm going to a trawler is fuel economy.
windmill29130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 05:46 PM   #6
Guru

City: Thibodaux, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Gumbo
Vessel Model: 2003 Monk 36
I don't see any problem with it out in the Gulf, in reasonable weather, but as has been noted the draft will limit you in a lot of places.
I see an M&L sticker on the genset they are in Houma, Louisiana where I keep my boat.
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 05:49 PM   #7
Veteran Member

City: Kwajalein Atoll
But, would you cross the Pacific in it?

Bill
Kwajdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 08:45 AM   #8
TF Site Team

City: Jacksonville
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwajdiver View Post
But, would you cross the Pacific in it?

Bill
I wouldn't but the boat probably could with a few bladder tanks or some 55 gallon drums on the back. I might have someone check the stability calculations though. It looks like a lot of weight up top. I couldn't tell from the pictures if it's a conversion or was built to this configuration.
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 09:03 AM   #9

City: Foley, Alabama
Vessel Name: GITANA
Vessel Model: Sea Ranger 47 Pilothouse
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardude01 View Post
I'm still working on my shiny Mainship deal that Momma likes, but I ran across this sucker and had to get 'yalls opinion........

Salty !! View Boat Photos - YachtWorld.com

Looks a little crude, and no bow thruster so I'm sure I couldn't drive it, but it's interesting!

That draft could be a little trouble in the ICW however........
She's a sturdy looking craft certainly fit for the GOM. When it comes to boat handling, single screw seperates the men from the boys. I ran single screw steel vessels out in the GOM oil patch for years...all powered by the old reliable (but definitely NOT economical) 671 Jimmy diesel. Use spring lines for tight maneuvering...they're the poor man's thrusters.
Captain K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 09:53 AM   #10
Guru

Plus she has flopper stoppers that look effective (depending on size/design of birds) and well integrated.

8' safe depth requirements would be deal breaker for me though. In fact I quit at 5'. Unless all you are buying it for is big water you're going to deny yourself lots of inshore exploring and storm hideouts.
twiisted71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 12:25 PM   #11
Guru

City: Flattop Islands
Vessel Name: Blackfish
Vessel Model: custom
What Larry said about stability....looks worrisome......I don't understand the small reduction gear and prop. Change that to 3.5 or 4:1 and put a decent 3 blade prop on and range will improve.
Tad Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 12:38 PM   #12
Veteran Member

City: St Augustine
Vessel Model: Mainship390
What's the single control on the left of the helm for?
millennium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 12:56 PM   #13
Guru

City: Meydenbauer Bay Yacht Club
Vessel Name: Lulu (Refugio sold)
FWIW there was a longish thread about this boat and same topic (with live aboard requirement) within the last year. (Sent from phone otherwise I'd find the thread)
Old 12-04-2012, 12:56 PM   #14
Scraping Paint

City: Fort Lauderdale
Vessel Model: CHB 48 Zodiac YL 4.2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tad Roberts View Post
I don't understand the small reduction gear and prop.
Where does it say anything about the reduction gear?
RickB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 01:14 PM   #15

City: Kent Island
Vessel Name: Sundowner
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 36 MrkII
Irregular hull plate on the stbd bow? Maybe a repair. I had a friend that had a steel Van der Stadt that developed many small holes, I think it is now razor blades.
Gulfstar 36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 02:45 PM   #16
Guru

City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet PY/SP
The over 7' draft kills it for me-- I want to cruise the Bahamas eventually and don't want to have to freak out about every rock I see. Plus it's too utilitarian looking for DW's dockside cocktail parties............

How about this one!

Ballena Bay Yacht Brokers (Alameda, CA)

Two cylinder Gardner diesel-- that should get good GPH-- 28HP????

Don't see the A/C.........lol
cardude01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 06:01 AM   #17
FF
Guru

Controllable pitch propeller system,Hundested VP2, manual. 26" propeller, 3-blade, 2- inch diameter shaft, 12.6 ft. stainless steel shaft. Unit #6024.

Engine details: 4.25 bore, 6.0 inch stroke, 2 cylinders, 14:1 compression, 170 cubic inches, 1100 pounds weight.

Most diesels operate happily at 3hp per cubic inch of displacement ,
so this is going to be a Mighty 28HP.

At only 20,000 lbs displacement , 28 hp is probably what is required for LRC.

I would disagree that a steeper reduction gear and a huge but fixed propeller would have a better fuel burn than the existing CPP.

The CPP can , with an EGT gauge be "dialed in" for best efficiency at the speed , sea conditions , wind load and cruise house power being required any time during the cruise.

Bigger props are almost always better , but 28 hp does not require very much diameter to be thrust efficient, and the CPP can maximise the engine efficiency.

A proper loading from say 14 HP per gallon up to say 16 or even more at LRC engine speeds should be worth a lot in range.

A poorer outfitted ,, production mfg cookie boat with a US 130 hp farm implement engine selection , could use a bigger diameter prop and deeper reduction
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 10:38 AM   #18
Guru

City: Everett Wa
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house
Yes, I would cross the gulf in that first trawler, and it would make a great boat for the PNW. Looks to be a converted commercial to pleasure, there are a lot of them in the PNW. Being it has a 671, it probable gets better mileage than reported, and/or you could make it more economical. The Eagle 58 ft, full displacement, 40+ tons, 1200 galls of diesel, power by a DD 671, 165 hp natural, gets about 2 miles per gallon or a range of 2000+.

The second is more of sail boat then motor boat, or motor. Now that is a boat I am/world be interested in. A boat designed/equipped for efficient long range cruising and/or anchoring. If we head south, we would want to equip the Eagle similar to that. It would be an interesting boat for a more in depth discussion.

As for being to utilitarian, once you have had a ugly slow utilitarian pleasure trawler will not want to do back to a production boat. Also its fun/nice to have a custom, different boat as people will notice, ask questions, talk about it and remember it. Unless you want to be one of hundred/thousand other boats.
Phil Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 02:38 PM   #19
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickB View Post
Where does it say anything about the reduction gear?
Click on the button that says "Boat details"
Old 12-05-2012, 02:40 PM   #20
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
Controllable pitch propeller system,Hundested VP2, manual. 26" propeller, 3-blade, 2- inch diameter shaft, 12.6 ft. stainless steel shaft. Unit #6024.

Engine details: 4.25 bore, 6.0 inch stroke, 2 cylinders, 14:1 compression, 170 cubic inches, 1100 pounds weight.

Most diesels operate happily at 3hp per cubic inch of displacement ,
so this is going to be a Mighty 28HP.

At only 20,000 lbs displacement , 28 hp is probably what is required for LRC.

I would disagree that a steeper reduction gear and a huge but fixed propeller would have a better fuel burn than the existing CPP.

The CPP can , with an EGT gauge be "dialed in" for best efficiency at the speed , sea conditions , wind load and cruise house power being required any time during the cruise.

Bigger props are almost always better , but 28 hp does not require very much diameter to be thrust efficient, and the CPP can maximise the engine efficiency.

A proper loading from say 14 HP per gallon up to say 16 or even more at LRC engine speeds should be worth a lot in range.

A poorer outfitted ,, production mfg cookie boat with a US 130 hp farm implement engine selection , could use a bigger diameter prop and deeper reduction
Fred,

I was referring to the first boat (link in first post in this thread) with 6-71 power and Capitol 2:1 reduction.....