Old 09-15-2016, 09:27 PM   #61
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
It is an unwise skipper who becomes inebriated while anchored. Who knows how and when an emergency may "emerge". Same goes for crew who could be needed.
Fer Gawd's sake.

Live a little.

menzies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 09:29 PM   #62
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by menzies View Post
Fer Gawd's sake.

Live a little.
I agree with Bruce.

BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 09:35 PM   #63
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
I agree with Bruce.
Fer Gawd's sake, live a little.
Old 09-15-2016, 09:52 PM   #64
Guru

Menzies, be assured I live lots. Nonsense is not improved by repetition. Maybe it`s down to PUI. Assuming you live your post, one day or night, you may have issues you and your crew are too pissed to resolve sensibly. I hope not, but then you might reconsider. As might your insurer.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 10:49 PM   #65
Guru

Quote:
Menzies, be assured I live lots. Nonsense is not improved by repetition. Maybe it`s down to PUI. Assuming you live your post, one day or night, you may have issues you and your crew are too pissed to resolve sensibly. I hope not, but then you might reconsider. As might your insurer.
I live plenty as well, but choose to live primarily sober and comfine any drinking to times when I don't need and won't need to operate a vehicle.

I also do know of one anchored under the influence that developed into more as in the middle of the night the boat found itself moving and in the drunken state the owner started it and proceeded to get tangled in two other anchor rodes, one of which was all chain, pulling those boats loose as well. As the chain initially stopped him he applied more power. and slammed into one boat. He did pick a very bad spot to do that as the Miami Beach police were quickly there and he got a BUI plus had a fairly sizable insurance claim. This was one incident cited in the recent legislation restricting anchoring where those boats were anchored.

If you have a designated sober driver then ok.
Old 09-15-2016, 11:01 PM   #66
TF Site Team

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Model: Carver 356
Quote:
It is accepted here that if a boat is anchored or moored,random breath testing is not available to authorities.
It is an unwise skipper who becomes inebriated while anchored. Who knows how and when an emergency may "emerge". Same goes for crew who could be needed.
I would somewhat agree with Menzies.....BUT.....I found myself anchored a couple of weeks ago in the middle of an allergy attack. I was about to swallow some benadryl and then caught myself..........I could not bring myself to take it because of the aforementioned considerations. I did not want to be whacked out while anchored.
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 06:24 AM   #67
Guru

Quote:

There's lots of righteous BS on this thread!
Old 09-16-2016, 08:17 AM   #68
Guru

City: Signal Mtn., TN
Vessel Name: Stella Maris
Vessel Model: Defever 44
"Righteous BS" is in the eye of the beholder.
angus99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 09:20 AM   #69
Guru

Reminds me of this old saying.

If you are going to invite a Southern Baptist onto your boat you had better invite two of them.

Otherwise your liquor cupboard will be emptied!
Old 09-16-2016, 09:28 AM   #70
Guru

Quote:

Wifey B: So, sobriety, not driving a boat or car while under the influence, that's righteous BS in your mind? Typical denouncement. We have different beliefs about such subjects than you, so we're full of S. We're the problem in your mind. Well, at least our righteous BS doesn't kill anyone.
Old 09-16-2016, 09:36 AM   #71

City: Westerly, RI
Vessel Name: N/A
Vessel Model: 1999 Mainship 350 Trawler
Quote:

Hallelujah. Testify, Brother!! Testify!!!

You are welcome to live your life by your rules. It is quite another to expect me to live by them as well.....PERIOD!

(I love that 'Period' nonsense. As if you're slamming the door on all other opinions. Self-righteous nonsense.)
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 09:40 AM   #72
Guru

The lady doth protest too much, methinks.
Old 09-16-2016, 10:02 AM   #73
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Tried this discussion before...brings out more emotion than the separation during the US Civil War.... with about the same amount of bloodshed.

All sides should be responsible...responsible behavior and responsible legislation and responsible discussion from both sides.

Rarely is either extreme correct.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 10:09 AM   #74
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Tried this discussion before...brings out more emotion than the separation during the US Civil War.... with about the same amount of bloodshed.

All sides should be responsible...responsible behavior and responsible legislation and responsible discussion from both sides.

Rarely is either extreme correct.
I'll drink to that!
Old 09-16-2016, 10:14 AM   #75
Guru

Quote:
The lady doth protest too much, methinks.
Wifey B: Methinks you want to disbelieve people who actually have principles they believe in and one of those I believe in is not operating vehicles while under the influence of alcohol or drugs. I'm not a teetotaler, but respect those who do and know quite a few. I don't put them down for being so. I also have a high powered sports car that I don't drive at high speeds simply because I don't know how I'd live with myself if I killed someone driving at 100 mph or something. Same reason I don't personally drink and drive. Now, hubby never has. I did some when I was 21 and younger. I would have told you then I wasn't under the influence. I know better now. I've done plenty of things in my life others here might disapprove of, but the question at the moment is operating a boat under the influence.

This issue was brought up in reference to a man who has a DUI and two BUI's within the past two years, both BUI's in the same month. This man is a menace. If he can't see and avoid an entire freaking beach, what chance would a small boat have had? He's a criminal and we need him kept off the roads and water.

As to your drinking, I don't care how much you drink. I don't care if you do drugs. I do care if you operate a boat under the influence.
Old 09-16-2016, 12:08 PM   #76
TF Site Team

I think we all went off on extreme ends of the spectrum. I certainly will enjoy cocktails at anchor. I think the main thing here is we have to realize that being anchored can be and is a dynamic situation. And those dynamics can change in a hurry. And are you prepared if things change for the worse?? If you are snot slinging drunk and you start dragging anchor and have to do something, NOW you are operating the boat under the influence whereas you weren't just 2 minutes ago.
Old 09-16-2016, 12:40 PM   #77
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Wifey B: Methinks you want to disbelieve people who actually have principles they believe in and one of those I believe in is not operating vehicles while under the influence of alcohol or drugs. I'm not a teetotaler, but respect those who do and know quite a few. I don't put them down for being so. I also have a high powered sports car that I don't drive at high speeds simply because I don't know how I'd live with myself if I killed someone driving at 100 mph or something. Same reason I don't personally drink and drive. Now, hubby never has. I did some when I was 21 and younger. I would have told you then I wasn't under the influence. I know better now. I've done plenty of things in my life others here might disapprove of, but the question at the moment is operating a boat under the influence.

This issue was brought up in reference to a man who has a DUI and two BUI's within the past two years, both BUI's in the same month. This man is a menace. If he can't see and avoid an entire freaking beach, what chance would a small boat have had? He's a criminal and we need him kept off the roads and water.

As to your drinking, I don't care how much you drink. I don't care if you do drugs. I do care if you operate a boat under the influence.
So you believe sitting at anchor is operating a vessel?

Interesting.
Old 09-16-2016, 12:41 PM   #78
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baker View Post
I think we all went off on extreme ends of the spectrum. I certainly will enjoy cocktails at anchor. I think the main thing here is we have to realize that being anchored can be and is a dynamic situation. And those dynamics can change in a hurry. And are you prepared if things change for the worse?? If you are snot slinging drunk and you start dragging anchor and have to do something, NOW you are operating the boat under the influence whereas you weren't just 2 minutes ago.
Then maybe you shouldn't drink at home either in case the kitchen catches fire.
Old 09-16-2016, 12:52 PM   #79
TF Site Team

Quote:
Easy there dude. Just trying to add some perspective. I wasn't attacking your stance on this. Quite the contrary. Just saying that it should be considered.
Old 09-16-2016, 12:54 PM   #80
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Or maybe never drink to excess under any circumstances?

I never want to be in less than complete control of my faculties regardless of where I am and I don't want those that I love to be as well. That is why I am such a light drinker I guess. Just my personal choice, certainly not for everyone and I recognize that makes me a definite outlying for the baby boom generation.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote