Click Here to Login

Old 07-25-2016, 10:03 AM   #21
TF Site Team

City: Chicago, IL
Vessel Name: Bay Pelican
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mule View Post
For the USA. How dare the fkin US government tell me where I can or cannot go in my seagoing craft. I cannot expect them to bail me out if there is a problem.
Just to be clear, there is no prohibition against a US citizen traveling to Cuba. The restriction is on spending money without first paying off the money owed to those US citizens whose property was confiscated by the Castro regime without compensation.

In simple terms the this is similar to a garnishment which is used all the time in civil actions in the US. If the garnishment is served on you, you cannot pay your employee or third party vendor unless the garnishment debt is paid off.

With respect to Cuba if you can prove a non-US citizen paid all your expenses you have complied with the law.

Old 07-25-2016, 10:39 AM   #22
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
https://www.treasury.gov/resource-ce...a_faqs_new.pdf

Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 10:41 AM   #23
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
There have been quite a few Americans visiting Cuba legally and illegally for years.

I was talking to 2 guys who even owned boats down there and illegally visited through the years.

Pretty much from what I heard, slipping through the cracks in both directions was possible unless you triggered something that caught the attention of officials.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 11:13 AM   #24

City: Houston
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
There have been quite a few Americans visiting Cuba legally and illegally for years.

I was talking to 2 guys who even owned boats down there and illegally visited through the years.

Pretty much from what I heard, slipping through the cracks in both directions was possible unless you triggered something that caught the attention of officials.
In my professional life, I have to deal with the federal government. That has taught me that, in my personal life, I must never, ever, ever run afoul of that bureaucracy. Life is too short. How likely is trouble for illegally traveling to Cuba? For me, the answer is "greater than zero." I'll wait.

And while we all understand that, nowadays, the embargo is mostly about electoral votes in Florida, nevertheless, if the Cuban government ultimately makes some human rights concessions to get the embargo lifted, that's a good thing. Flouting the law may not be doing the Cuban people any favors.
Cottontop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 11:23 AM   #25
Guru

It really isn't hard to go there these days legally.

Unless he lied to me fod no reason, the cruiser next to me in Ft Piece city marina last winter got his "license" approved last year by being a humanitarian mission. He was taking about $100 worth of Dollar Store school supplies down.

I am sure there are plenty of ways to legally go as dozens of cruising clubs, church groups, etc are finding ways.

Heck...what was it....a decade ago? A women's boating group took some Grand Banks down there for really no good reason that I recall.

No need to run afoul of anything unless you want to or don't do your "due dilligence".
Old 07-25-2016, 11:34 AM   #26
Guru

City: Fort Pierce
Vessel Name: Florita Ann
Vessel Model: 1982 Present
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Bill11 View Post
Not exactly anymore. Some policies are now covering Cuba. And riders are becoming common for other policies.
Hard to stay current
Mule is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 01:00 PM   #27
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
It really isn't hard to go there these days legally.

Unless he lied to me fod no reason, the cruiser next to me in Ft Piece city marina last winter got his "license" approved last year by being a humanitarian mission. He was taking about $100 worth of Dollar Store school supplies down.

I am sure there are plenty of ways to legally go as dozens of cruising clubs, church groups, etc are finding ways.

Heck...what was it....a decade ago? A women's boating group took some Grand Banks down there for really no good reason that I recall.

No need to run afoul of anything unless you want to or don't do your "due dilligence".
So easy to do it right.

As to people traveling to Cuba, I was amazed upon moving to South Florida to find out all those going back and forth via the Dominican Republic. It has been a commonplace thing for years.

As to those traveling by boat, you just have to declare any one of their long list of valid reasons for going.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 01:36 PM   #28
Guru

City: Port Credit
Vessel Name: DIRT FREE
Vessel Model: Benford Fantail 38
I know a place near Santiago where rum is the equivalent of 50 cents a gallon .... if you bring your own jug
boatpoker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 08:52 AM   #29

City: Tampa, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bay Pelican View Post
Just to be clear, there is no prohibition against a US citizen traveling to Cuba. The restriction is on spending money...
Technically true, but for all practical purposes irrelevant. Specifically written into the regulations is the assumption that if you are there for more than 4 hours then you MUST have spent money. That puts the burden of proof on you. How are you going to prove that you did NOT spend money?

The fact is that it is still illegal for U.S. citizens to visit Cuba as a tourist. If you want to violate the law that's up to you, but then don't whine about it if you get caught and punished. (That's the generic "you," by the way. Not YOU, Bay Pelican.)

And, as others have said, it is really not all that difficult to get the proper authorization to go there. So going illegally is just kind of dumb.

On top of that (again, as others have said) it is only a matter of time before travel to Cuba will be completely opened up. Which, to me, makes it even MORE stupid to go there illegally, regardless of how low the odds of getting caught might be. Take the time to do the paperwork, or wait until none is needed--I'm pretty sure that Cuba isn't going anywhere.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 10:02 AM   #30
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
Technically true, but for all practical purposes irrelevant. Specifically written into the regulations is the assumption that if you are there for more than 4 hours then you MUST have spent money. That puts the burden of proof on you. How are you going to prove that you did NOT spend money?
Well, not exactly.

The first time I went there was about 20 years ago. I went with the very large sailboat race out of Sarasota. All the boats were fully hosted by the yacht club at Marina del Hemingway.

We payed no immigration fees, no dockage fees and no charges for water or electricity.

The U.S. Government was fully aware of the trip and had no issues with it as far as violating the embargo goes. As long as we spend no money there nor traded for anything while there. (Wink, wink, nudge, nudge. )
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 11:38 AM   #31
Guru

Quote:
Well, not exactly.

The first time I went there was about 20 years ago. I went with the very large sailboat race out of Sarasota. All the boats were fully hosted by the yacht club at Marina del Hemingway.

We payed no immigration fees, no dockage fees and no charges for water or electricity.

The U.S. Government was fully aware of the trip and had no issues with it as far as violating the embargo goes. As long as we spend no money there nor traded for anything while there. (Wink, wink, nudge, nudge. )
Why I posted that I think trips have been going on for sometime now....

Your race sounds familiar to a lot of things that were "approved" yet flew in the face of the embargo.

Probably sanctioned just to keep the hornets nest stirred on all sides...
Old 07-31-2016, 08:05 AM   #32
FF
Guru

FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 10:53 AM   #33
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: The Promise
Vessel Model: Roughwater 35
Quote:
Confusing the issue with facts? Oh my.
Old 07-31-2016, 11:18 AM   #34
Veteran Member

City: Palma
I suggest You join the Facebook group Cuba, Land and Sea - lotīs of up to date info and knowledge there - and good fun too

Salud - Jonas

(This was meant for the OP - not as a comment - oops).
Jonza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 11:49 AM   #35
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Hopefully the one issue that hasn't confused anyone is if you wish to go to Cuba as an American citizen go. If you're intelligent enough to figure out how to buy a boat and pilot it there, you should be bright enough to figure out which exemption works for you. Legal travel to and from Cuba ain't exactly trigonometry, it's roughly akin to figuring out second grade math.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 01:03 PM   #36
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPseudonym View Post
Hopefully the one issue that hasn't confused anyone is if you wish to go to Cuba as an American citizen go. If you're intelligent enough to figure out how to buy a boat and pilot it there, you should be bright enough to figure out which exemption works for you. Legal travel to and from Cuba ain't exactly trigonometry, it's roughly akin to figuring out second grade math.
They give you 12 options. You just have to choose one. It's like saying, we'd be happy allowing everyone to go, but there are some who oppose it, so we'll put in some rules that anyone can meet but it will look like we have restrictions still.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 01:09 PM   #37
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Exactly

It's analogous to the TSA at the airport. If it causes just enough inconvenience the general public will "feel safe". To run afoul of US law traveling to or from Cuba one would have to be a special kind of stupid.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 01:50 PM   #38
FF
Guru

"It's analogous to the TSA at the airport."

TSA is "Thousands Standing Around"

We were safer by far when private services ran security , they failed at tests far less.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 02:54 PM   #39
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: The Promise
Vessel Model: Roughwater 35
http://www.bizjournals.com/seattle/n...h-private.html
Old 07-31-2016, 03:04 PM   #40
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhmeissner View Post