Would this concept work?(right forum?)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Al

Guru
Vessel Name
'SLO'~BELLE
Vessel Make
1978 Marben-27' Flybridge Trawler(extended to 30 feet) Pilothouse Pocket Cruiser[
Here is an ad for a popular style boat from a known manufacture. It has symptoms not uncommon with these boats and being from the far East. After reading the advertisement the low price is identified as being related to "Soft Decks"

1978 HUDSON DEFEVER 39'

The thought comes to mind that continued use as the deterioration continues till the point the boat is beyond worth. Is it worth the low investment to do that?
Or, is an attempt at a inexpensive repair, while not professional, workable for additional extended years of use?
It would be thought that replacing the decks on a professional level will be more expensive than just finding a similar model in excellent condition.

Of the three choices the one I favor would be to overlay the current decks fasten the overlay to the house sides and cover with fiberglass. Yes, I understand the thoughts of the soft decks under not addressed would result in that pointed out above.

Okay- looking for conversation and thoughts on building on this low price boat.

Al-Ketchikan

soft spots in deck....is that the only comment? If so...guesstimating repairs is only a pure guess....

You could buy it and gradually repair the decks. It isn't hard to rebuild decks, just rather nasty.

An $11,000 generator and a $6,000 bow thruster...
IF it's only the decks AND you have the skills AND the time AND really want a 1978 Defever, it seems like a reasonable deal.

Soft spots and completely soft deck are a different horse. If it's just random rather small spots the repair may not be too severe. Check it out! I'd want to learn about the engine that had little mention.

That's the 135 Lehman pictured. My info shows 1983 as the introduction. Repower????

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️

The only way to truly cure a rot problem in a subdeck is to eliminate the wood that is rotting. It is not beyond the realm of possibility for an owner to do this him/herself, but it's not a quick job.

I think slapping a layer of fiberglass on top of a deck with a core rot problem is a temporary fix at best. For probably not a huge amount more effort I believe the soft spots can be cut out and repaired correctly.

Whether or not this is worth doing is in eyes of the owner or potential owner. It will be reflected in the resale value of the boat to a degree, but only in that its value may now equal the value of similar make, model, and year of boats with sound decks.

If a person really likes the boat and really wants it to be in good shape, then the cost and effort of properly repairing the deck will be worthwhile to that person regardless of the effect on the dollar value of the boat.

So why do the soft spots even "need" to be fixed? All kinds of boats have soft spots and float just fine.

@Art: What's to know about the engine? It's a 1978 FL135... Just a wild a$$ guess but I'll bet it has at least 6,000 hours left on it and that's without even seeing a picture.

Wasn't it the same engine that just pushed a KK42 across the North Atlantic?

I would be very surprised if the decks were the only thing rotten on boat like this. But, one good thing about this type of purchase, at least you know going in that it has problems. Much worse is a boat sold as sound that is in fact anything but. It normally happens with higher end boats (Krogens, Hatteras, Bertrams, etc.) that people think are above lesser boat "diseases". I've worked on several boats that were bought at normal retail $$ and presented as very good condition that had rotted bulkheads, loose bulkheads, rotten floors from window leaks, rotten wood stringers that were poorly 'glassed and even more poorly drilled for engine mounts, etc etc, the list goes on and on. Just because its supposed to be a goodun doesnt mean much. I know, you gonna say the survey should have caught this stuff. Well, most surveyors are just not all that good. Some things require knowledge and a desire to dig deep to find. Some dissassembly required :)

IMO the deck cores must be replaced as the rot will continue to spread until there's nothing left of the original deck except the FG on top. FG on the bottom dosn't count as the bond between the upper and lower FG is lost.

One could remove all of the rot and FG the deck on top w enough FG to make up for the core but that would be a very heavy deck.

I'd pass unless all the rotten deck core is easily accessible from underneath.

So why do the soft spots even "need" to be fixed? All kinds of boats have soft spots and float just fine.

@Art: What's to know about the engine? It's a 1978 FL135... Just a wild a$$ guess but I'll bet it has at least 6,000 hours left on it and that's without even seeing a picture.

Wasn't it the same engine that just pushed a KK42 across the North Atlantic?

Your crystal ball (wild a$$ guess - lol) is relying on others successes with same engine. Most of time, especially when selling boat at reduced price due to defect (this one having soft spots in deck) the high points of said boat are usually exemplified. Reason I mentioned learning about engine is because no good or bad report on it was at all mentioned. With low price to begin with the seller may feel "buyer be ware"... by not mentioning its condition at all... if the engine might be in less than stellar condition.

That's a lot of boat for the money. What the others mentioned, plus...newer tanks. Dickenson.

That "full winter cover" looks a bit sketchy - I spent a winter in that harbor on my Romsdal in '82 and I recall 100" of snow. Is Ketchikan milder?

I cannot imagine that the ply decks would be accessible from below. But I would think it would be possible to route around large sections of the deck and lift them out to replace the plywood underneath.

It looks loved(or well detailed) in the pics. Broker describes condition as "fair" which suggests there is more to find than soft deck spots. Engine hours are disclosed at 2000. It has to be worth a look.

There are two schoolls oof thoughts regarding boats.

There's the "gotta make it 100%" whiich most here on TF seem to strive to do, and that is the measure they/we use.

Another sschool of thought is "drive the boat" or "use the boat". Knowing you are never gooing to bring it to 100%, and are not going to try.

I'd bet that if the deck has some soft spots, that it has had them for awhile. Why not buy the boat, put as little into it as necessary and get out on the water?

Personally, while its not how I manage my boat, its a somewhat attractive thopught, and probably very functional! :)

There are two schoolls oof thoughts regarding boats.

There's the "gotta make it 100%" whiich most here on TF seem to strive to do, and that is the measure they/we use.

Another sschool of thought is "drive the boat" or "use the boat". Knowing you are never gooing to bring it to 100%, and are not going to try.

I'd bet that if the deck has some soft spots, that it has had them for awhile. Why not buy the boat, put as little into it as necessary and get out on the water?

Personally, while its not how I manage my boat, its a somewhat attractive thopught, and probably very functional! :)

VERY Functional Indeed - And... Fun Too! IMHO... Nothing needs to be fully, super-closely detailed until it's time to sell! ITMTime - Have a Ball!! At least that's my/our way to play!

Last edited:
"""There's the "gotta make it 100%" whiich most here on TF seem to strive to do, and that is the measure they/we use.

Another sschool of thought is "drive the boat" or "use the boat". Knowing you are never gooing to bring it to 100%, and are not going to try."""

These are two sides to the same hobby, boating,, the 100% group seldom leaves the dock as its not "finished" yet.

The other folks go out cruising , use the boat as a boat , not a project , and simply repair what dies underway.

The boat owner decides witch form of the boating hobby he enjoys the most.

Soft spots aren't even necessarily rot....salees descriptions aren't very accurate much of the time when describing defects.

Could be just delamination...as I posted in #2.....all guesses so far.

A 40 ft Defever with Fiberglass decks! fuel tanks replaced! bow thruster, new canvas & upholstery, marble counter tops. The slatted paneling is icing on the cake. Assuming good running gear, this boat is a steal, forget the soft spots. Just fix the source of the leaks if it bothers you and hasn't been done already. Buy it & go boating, fantastic family fun for a paltry 3K a year capital cost and throw it away in 10 years. It owes you nothing. That's worst case, the reality is that as long as it still floats and runs it will never be worth less than 10 to 15K so the capital costs could be half that. It is a lot of boat for the money, if your "not fussy" and want a solid well respected boat, in my opinion it is a no-brainer. That said I would "not buy it" with the intent of bringing it back to bristol condition and hoping to get my money back, it would be a money pit and a lost cause.

Personally, if I were shopping for a boat in that area and a survey (mechanical included) didn't come up with any other MAJOR issues, I'd jump on it... We bought our boat to go boating, not to show it at an oldies but goodies boat show...in fact that's how I have treated everything, including my 1978 silver anniversary vette. If you want to boat, I think this is a steal.

Totally agree with the above.
Buy it, use it.

One caveat, have you seen it yet?

Or better yet, smelt it?

An owner can clean up a real mess, but it's impossible to get rid of that residual smell the mess left, whether that's the result of leaking fuel tanks or water in the cabin.

If the boat does NOT smell moldy, unlike the rest of Juneau :), go for it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom