View Poll Results: Wide Open throttle on my primary boat is:
My boat is full displacement and will not exceed hull speed 15 19.23%
WOT is between hull speed and 12 knots 28 35.90%
WOT is between 12 knots and 17 knots 11 14.10%
WOT is between 17 knots and 22 knots 9 11.54%
WOT is greater than 22 knots 15 19.23%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 01-13-2018, 10:04 AM   #1
Guru
 
BandB's Avatar
 
City: Fort Lauderdale
Country: USA
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 17,430
WOT on my primary boat is

Wifey B: Discussion about speeds boats owned here will run. Not the speed they're used but their Wide Open Throttle, Pedal to the Metal.
__________________
Advertisement

BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 10:11 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
City: Washington
Country: US
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 467
I chose hull to 12. When I first bought it (used), it would hit 13 knots but since my wife loaded it up ("we need one of these for the boat") I don't think I can hit more than 12. Maybe less.

I cruise at 7 knots. Actually, I cruise at 2000 RPM and take whatever the current gives me. It's been as high as 12 and as low as 3. Slack water is 7.
__________________

aboatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 10:13 AM   #3
Guru
 
BandB's Avatar
 
City: Fort Lauderdale
Country: USA
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 17,430
Quote:
Originally Posted by aboatman View Post
I chose hull to 12. When I first bought it (used), it would hit 13 knots but since my wife loaded it up ("we need one of these for the boat") I don't think I can hit more than 12. Maybe less.

I cruise at 7 knots. Actually, I cruise at 2000 RPM and take whatever the current gives me. It's been as high as 12 and as low as 3. Slack water is 7.
Wifey B: Yes, the question isn't what we do run but what we can run. This is about the boat, not the user.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 10:37 AM   #4
Guru
 
Nomad Willy's Avatar
 
City: Concrete Washington State
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 16,077
Quote:
Originally Posted by aboatman View Post
I chose hull to 12. When I first bought it (used), it would hit 13 knots but since my wife loaded it up ("we need one of these for the boat") I don't think I can hit more than 12. Maybe less.

I cruise at 7 knots. Actually, I cruise at 2000 RPM and take whatever the current gives me. It's been as high as 12 and as low as 3. Slack water is 7.
We’re only slightly different.
6 knot cruise, 2300rpm and take whatever the current gives me.
Been as high as 11 and as low as 2.
__________________
Eric

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 10:42 AM   #5
Guru
 
dhays's Avatar
 
City: Gig Harbor
Country: United States
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 8,433
Loaded as my boat is, I can to between 11-12 knots. Normal cruise is between 7-8
__________________
Regards,

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 12:19 PM   #6
Guru
 
LarryM's Avatar
 
City: League City, TX
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Pelago
Vessel Model: Wellcraft 3300 Coastal
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 922
Running light, on the pins 30+ knots.
__________________
Larry
M/V Pelago
LarryM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 12:27 PM   #7
Guru
 
tadhana's Avatar
 
City: New England and Canada to Florida
Country: USA EAST
Vessel Name: Tadhana
Vessel Model: Helmsman 38 Pilothouse
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 573
2650 RPM. WOT 9.2 light . 9.0 heavy. I monitor STW by using a paddle wheel transducer. SOG is influenced by current.
tadhana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 01:17 PM   #8
Guru
 
Ski in NC's Avatar
 
City: Wilmington, NC
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 5,354
Right at 30kts clean bottom and wheel, 2700rpm.

Fast cruise 21kts at 2000.

If diesel is expensive, 7.5kts at 950.
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 01:19 PM   #9
Guru
 
O C Diver's Avatar
 
City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 7,585
While mine isn't a displacement hull, because of the repower it won't exceed hull speed. Think the poll might be more useful if the 3 choices had been:

1. Hull speed and below
2. Plowing (above hull speed and below planing [square root of waterline length x 2])
3. Planing

Ted
__________________
Blog: mvslowhand.com
I'm tired of fast moves, I've got a slow groove, on my mind.....
I want to spend some time, Not come and go in a heated rush.....
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 01:20 PM   #10
Guru
 
koliver's Avatar
 
City: Saltspring Island
Country: BC, canada
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 3,149
The last time I operated mine at WOT was immediately after the re-power, (June 2000) with the mechanic aboard. I think the speed was about 10 or maybe 10.5. The fwd visibility was hampered by the height of the bow, as the stern had fallen into a deep hole. Why I would ever go to WOT again, I don't know.
At cruise, max speed and min speed are about 8.5 and 7.5.
__________________
Keith
koliver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 01:25 PM   #11
Guru
 
dhays's Avatar
 
City: Gig Harbor
Country: United States
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 8,433
Quote:
Originally Posted by koliver View Post
The last time I operated mine at WOT was immediately after the re-power, (June 2000) with the mechanic aboard. I think the speed was about 10 or maybe 10.5. The fwd visibility was hampered by the height of the bow, as the stern had fallen into a deep hole. Why I would ever go to WOT again, I don't know.

At cruise, max speed and min speed are about 8.5 and 7.5.


Same here. This last summer after the new engine was installed. WOT is loud, expensive, and uncomfortable with the bow reaching for the sky. (Well, not quite as I did use the trim tabs. One of the few times they made a big difference.)
__________________
Regards,

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 01:39 PM   #12
Guru
 
Nomad Willy's Avatar
 
City: Concrete Washington State
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 16,077
When I first got Willy didn’t go over 6.5 knots.
But I thought I should go WOT to see how she ran and check my prop loading. So I ran her up and only got 2750rpm. Needed 3000. I continued on for about 5 minutes and the engine suddenly quit. I was in a narrow channel and ranout to deploy the anchor. After a few more minutes I started the engine like it didn’t have a problem. It did. But I had no idea it did until I ran WOT.

Henceforth it has been one of my engine checks. Every several months I run WOT for about 5 minutes.
__________________
Eric

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 01:46 PM   #13
Guru
 
Nomad Willy's Avatar
 
City: Concrete Washington State
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 16,077
Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post
While mine isn't a displacement hull, because of the repower it won't exceed hull speed. Think the poll might be more useful if the 3 choices had been:

1. Hull speed and below
2. Plowing (above hull speed and below planing [square root of waterline length x 2])
3. Planing

Ted
Ted to equalize for boat length your #2 would be more specific if it was to read “.8 x hull speed to” something like “1.5 to perhaps 2 x hull speed”.
__________________
Eric

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 01:55 PM   #14
Guru
 
AusCan's Avatar
 
City: Adelaide
Country: Australia
Vessel Name: Kokanee
Vessel Model: Cuddles 30 Pilot House Motor Sailer
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 2,888
Displacement hull. My WOT speed with a slack tide and a clean bottom is about 7.5 knots in flat water. In average conditions with 3-5 foot waves I usually lose a knot.

It's fairly rare that I run at WOT. That last 0.5 of a knot doubles both the engine noise and the fuel usage.
AusCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 02:00 PM   #15
Guru
 
Heron's Avatar
 
City: Cypress Landing Marina (NC)
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Heron (2)
Vessel Model: '88 Cape Dory 28 Flybridge #115
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 1,300
WOT for a brief time at the end of a run. 14K at 3700 rpm's gets the turbo exercised..
Normal cruise is 7.2K at 2000 rpms...
SD hull, 200 hp Volvo
__________________
Steve
Heron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 03:42 PM   #16
Guru
 
BandB's Avatar
 
City: Fort Lauderdale
Country: USA
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 17,430
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
Same here. This last summer after the new engine was installed. WOT is loud, expensive, and uncomfortable with the bow reaching for the sky. (Well, not quite as I did use the trim tabs. One of the few times they made a big difference.)
Wifey B: No problems since they repowered you? It was a PITA but they did step up didn't they?
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 03:44 PM   #17
Guru
 
dhays's Avatar
 
City: Gig Harbor
Country: United States
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 8,433
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Wifey B: No problems since they repowered you? It was a PITA but they did step up didn't they?


No problems at all and yes, Cummins Northwest really came through. So far 107 hours on the new engine that was put it in July. Having a grandkid for the first time slowed down our boat usage this fall.
__________________
Regards,

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 03:45 PM   #18
Guru
 
BandB's Avatar
 
City: Fort Lauderdale
Country: USA
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 17,430
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad Willy View Post
When I first got Willy didn’t go over 6.5 knots.
But I thought I should go WOT to see how she ran and check my prop loading. So I ran her up and only got 2750rpm. Needed 3000. I continued on for about 5 minutes and the engine suddenly quit. I was in a narrow channel and ranout to deploy the anchor. After a few more minutes I started the engine like it didn’t have a problem. It did. But I had no idea it did until I ran WOT.

Henceforth it has been one of my engine checks. Every several months I run WOT for about 5 minutes.
The WOT run is part of all scheduled maintenance and is really the only way to know. Even with our desire for speed, we don't regularly run at WOT but we do every time we service the engines.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 04:34 PM   #19
Guru
 
MurrayM's Avatar
 
City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Country: Canada
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 4,807
WOT on my primary boat is...

pointless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by koliver View Post
The fwd visibility was hampered by the height of the bow, as the stern had fallen into a deep hole.
Could probably get it up on plane with a fusion reactor propulsion unit (I think Mr. Fusion makes one) but 7 knots is about twice as past as we used to sea kayak, so it's all good
__________________
"The most interesting path between two points is not a straight line" Murray Minchin
MurrayM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 08:32 PM   #20
GFC
Guru
 
GFC's Avatar
 
City: Tri Cities, WA
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Beachcomber
Vessel Model: Sea Ray 550 Sedan Bridge
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 3,649
During our initial sea trial we ran at WOT for 10 minutes to make sure the boat was propped correctly and also that the engines and cooling systems could handle the heat generated and not let the engines overheat.


WOT is 2130 rpm's and was at 30.3 kts. Don't do that much because we're burning 65 gph. Ouch.


Fast cruise at 80% throttle (~1750 rpm's) yields about 22-24kts.
Hull speed is about 900 rpm's at 9.5kts
Cocktail speed at 500 rpm's yields about 5.5kts.
__________________

__________________
Mike and Tina
Beachcomber 1995 Sea Ray 550 Sedan Bridge
GFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:51 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012
×