Old 01-14-2018, 09:42 PM   #1

City: Lutz
Trawers VS Sailboats

I'm new to the Trawler World --having had cruising sailboats since 1971. Been looking for a Trawler for a few months The lack of ongoing maintenance on the used Trawlers I have seen so far is amazing. Admittedly they are all for sale but but but but . Sailboats are -on average- kept in far better condition than Taiwanese Trawlers. Of the six boats I have looked at none of them had ever had their bilge areas singularly cleaned (scrubbed) -all smelled of course. Don't know why this lack is so.
geoleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 09:59 PM   #2
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)
What size, age and price range are you viewing?
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 10:03 PM   #3

answer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post
what size, age and price range are you viewing?
1978-1989 20-55k 32-42ft
Old 01-14-2018, 10:20 PM   #4
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Maybe you're looking at the wrong boats. The good ones are out there.

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 10:31 PM   #5
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoleo View Post
1978-1989 20-55k 32-42ft
Keep in mind that comparing a $50k trawler to a $50k sailboat is a bit unfair. The trawler is going to be older and in poorer condition.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 10:31 PM   #6
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Insequent
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 50 Mk I
For 32' boats (bottom of your range) I think even your top-end budget number of 55k is a bit light if you want something in very good condition and ready to cruise. I understand that at 80yo you don't want a project boat that will eat time and money, but I think you will either need a larger budget or smaller boat. But you might get lucky if you keep looking.
Old 01-14-2018, 11:52 PM   #7
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
When looking for a trawler in the mid-to-lower 30-foot length some six years ago, used decently-maintained boats cost $100,000 or so (leastwise as advertised) in my market. Decided to buy new, but the builder has raised the price 50 percent since then.
Old 01-15-2018, 06:02 AM   #8
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
There are probably more POS, pigstie sailboat out there than trawler just because of sheer numbers.

The bad thing about the Taiwan Trawlers is when they start falling apart from lack of maintenance, its an avalanche. I think many owners just give up from lack of energy and money.

I live aboard full time and snowbird for 7 months now. It is a constant struggle to keep the boat nice, let alone bristol and still enjoy some time off from the struggle. The boat was already over the edge.....it took 5 years and over $20,000 to get her barely acceptable while living aboard and cruising and still pkenty to go.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 06:44 AM   #9
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Quote:
1978-1989 20-55k 32-42ft
That answers your own question.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 07:41 AM   #10
Guru

Of course if someone asked me why my friends 2007, all glass, $250,000 42 foot sailboat seems much better kept than my $60000, poorly treated for 25 years, trawler..... I can always just say without much detail....

I used my boat more this week than he has used his sailboat in the last 5 years...
Old 01-15-2018, 07:50 AM   #11

City: Washington
You are looking at boats that have spent 40 years in salt water and exposed to the elements and probably cruised for thousands of hours. Boats nearing the end of their useful life.

Unless you would rather be working on a boat than cruising on one, I suggest you confine your search to boats less than 20 years old.
aboatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 08:12 AM   #12
Guru

City: Palm Coast
Vessel Name: Southerly
Vessel Model: 1986 Marine Trader 36' Sundeck
All this depends on whether you are looking for a hobby or not. My “real” work is super demanding and very competitive. I only work a few days a month. I call my boat my hobby. Did I throw tens of thousands of dollars at her? Of course I did. I did not want a boat in pristine condition. What would I do? In short:

Cruised her to the Bahamas for a month for pleasure and maintenance

Run her 3 out of 4 weeks for 3 day trips. Sometimes just a day trip

The rest of the time? I’m working on my hobby.

It’s all about balance. Please don’t think you are going to get a boat in great condition and it’s going to stay that way. It takes work all the time. Maybe a boat isn’t right for you. They do have boat clubs that I think work like a timeshare and you don’t have any of the work.
Donna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 08:29 AM   #13
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic
Quote:
1978-1989 20-55k 32-42ft

Ummm... well *clears throat*... I think we have found your problem. A 40 y/o boat for $20k is going to be a POS. Even a 30 y/o boat for $50k is going to be pretty low on the scale. While you may find a gem out there (and they are out there, I assume), with the current state of the market, it is going to take looking at far more than six boats. You are going to need to scourer YachtWold, Craigslist, and eBay for months to fill that criteria. Good luck though.
Old 01-15-2018, 11:31 AM   #14
Guru

I disagree that old boats are going to be cheaper and POSs.... now older and cheaper fits one formula.... yep...project boat.

It IS all about construction and maintenance, not age.

Plenty of boats, plenty of everything, proves it.

Generally speaking....yes...but absolutely.... not even close but the pickings are extremely thin.
Old 01-15-2018, 12:20 PM   #15
Guru

City: Between Oregon and Alaska
Vessel Name: Charlie Harper
Vessel Model: Wheeler Shipyard 83'
There are 3 main criteria in boat prices. Price, condition, and size. You get to pick two. If you're fussy, you pay more.

Another way to look at it - I'm 70, I can do or could do anything in boat building or repair. I bought an old boat because I got more boat for the dollar and knew it would force me into more activity.
I come from older parents in a once large extended family. I got to see many age. The active ones had great, active, long retirements, usually lived to late 80s or 90s (and many even smoked). The couch potatoes went early.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 01:36 PM   #16
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Quote:
I'm new to the Trawler World --having had cruising sailboats since 1971. Been looking for a Trawler for a few months The lack of ongoing maintenance on the used Trawlers I have seen so far is amazing. Admittedly they are all for sale but but but but . Sailboats are -on average- kept in far better condition than Taiwanese Trawlers. Of the six boats I have looked at none of them had ever had their bilge areas singularly cleaned (scrubbed) -all smelled of course. Don't know why this lack is so.
Scrubbed?
What for? It’s a bilge.
On second thought I did go after my bilge a few years ago. Don’t recall if I used a brush. Just rags and solvent of some kind.
Spotless clean is ideal but who needs it? Too little gain and too much work. I’d rather change my oil or work on my anchors.
However when selling scrub and spotless is two thumbs up.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 03:12 PM   #17

I did Find

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post
Maybe you're looking at the wrong boats. The good ones are out there.
I did find a good one, however while looking like a trawler type on top--------it had a V bottom and a 210 HP cummins and no protection for the prop --so I passed
Old 01-15-2018, 03:18 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
There are probably more POS, pigstie sailboat out there than trawler just because of sheer numbers.

The bad thing about the Taiwan Trawlers is when they start falling apart from lack of maintenance, its an avalanche. I think many owners just give up from lack of energy and money.

I live aboard full time and snowbird for 7 months now. It is a constant struggle to keep the boat nice, let alone bristol and still enjoy some time off from the struggle. The boat was already over the edge.....it took 5 years and over $20,000 to get her barely acceptable while living aboard and cruising and still pkenty to go.
Yes indeed-- there are around 12 or so 34-40 Mainship (are they built in Taiwan?) old boats for sale in Florida in varying stages of avalanche condition that seem like deals--looked at one and the entire overhead was falling down.
Old 01-15-2018, 03:21 PM   #19
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
I did find a good one, however while looking like a trawler type on top--------it had a V bottom and a 210 HP cummins and no protection for the prop --so I passed
You keep talking about protection for a prop. The only true protection is not running aground or into things. How did this become such a priority and what do you consider protection?
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 03:22 PM   #20
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
geoleo where is Lutz?

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote