Worth it to upgrade tv’s?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bowball

Guru
I’ve been thinking whether it is worth it to install a 40” flat screen on a lift in my salon, in the cabinetry, as comes in the newest models.

I don’t watch live tv as I stream but my kids (if they visit in the future) watch media on iPhones. I stream. And we all watch different things.

I’m wondering whether it makes more sense to use the latest largest iPads (12”?) instead.

Then I can watch anywhere. Guests can watch different things.

The days of sitting in a fixed location and watching one screen seem to be going. I don’t even watch that much tbh.

We always have at least one large TV. Though when we are cruising we tend to read books a lot instead of watching TV. Our current boat originally had 3 TVs but we have already taken one out and will likely take a second one out. Then just have the one large one left.

Like you very seldom watch TV. iPads have taken over even for college football on Saturdays. And I’m sorry to say kids, or in our case kid and family, come aboard less frequently than I watch TV. Think at some point in our lives, decisions should be about us and not the kids.

I put a satellite dish and large screen tv to entice the wife onto the boat. She can't survive without the NFL package. :nonono: She been on the boat for 10 minutes in 7 years.

Took the tv off after Looping in 2017. I would have liked to watch the Olympics. Other than that, I can get what I need off a tablet / internet. When boating gets boring enough to put tv back on and pay for a satellite package, I'll sell the boat.

Ted

Yes, you both are how I feel.

I just think the only reason I would install one is since it seems to be expected.

My boys literally watch everything on their iPhone even if a large screen is nearby; I’m definitely not planning around them.

Maybe if I have a guest. But I just don’t watch that often with others. Super Bowl? Presidential debate? That’s all I can think of. Or a movie in bed but not the salon.

Not even adding service for my satellite tv dish.

We rarely turn the TV on except for the local weather when cruising. We mostly read if we're lounging in the salon on a rainy day but if we're bored we'll watch an old movie or program if a local station is broadcasting one that interests us and we're holed up somewhere for the day. I doubt we'd be without one but it's certainly not a necessity for us.
It's watched even less at home. I can't even remember when the last time it was on.

Yes, you both are how I feel.

I just think the only reason I would install one is since it seems to be expected.

My boys literally watch everything on their iPhone even if a large screen is nearby; I’m definitely not planning around them.

Maybe if I have a guest. But I just don’t watch that often with others. Super Bowl? Presidential debate? That’s all I can think of. Or a movie in bed but not the salon.

Not even adding service for my satellite tv dish.

That's part of the 90% rule. I don't provide anything for my guests that isn't something I want, other than a second stateroom. They are expected to be conversationalists. And they aren't staying on the boat long enough to cover our common topics. As my friend puts it, "fish and friends start to smell in less than a week ".

Ted

I boated, in part, to avoid TV.

Attachments

• friends looking at sp trains.jpg
    friends looking at sp trains.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 25
...And they aren't staying on the boat long enough to cover our common topics. As my friend puts it, "fish and friends start to smell in less than a week ".

Ted

Our guests are expected to leave after drinks/meal/conversation. (Sleep two, entertain 2 to 4.)

We have a dumb 42 inch led tv hooked up to Logitech 5 speaker surround sound and a Lenovo tiny PC with wifi and 500gb hd

It's now a tv, media centre, music, actual computer for streaming and browsing and also downstairs nav station with OpenCPN.

. iPads have taken over even for college football on Saturdays.

I don't do football but wouldn't watching it on a tablet be like watching ants running around?

I don't do football but wouldn't watching it on a tablet be like watching ants running around?

Not for individual viewing as hold close to you. Plus 40” feels small from the sofa.

In my case, a cabinet needs to be reworked, electric lift added, … I feel it will be expensive.

The RV folks have 12V TV so no inverter is needed.

They also make tilt and swing wall mounts , that have a locking pin to fix the set while underway.

We never had a TV on our boats.
We have one now in our travel trailer, but only because it's standard. we rarely use it.

For us, TVs and car stereos are an anachronism. During our refit, we removed all traces of consumer electronics including patching speaker holes. Now, tablets, phones, Bluetooth speakers fill all our needs. If we were sports fans, might be a different story. Mostly, we download content for later viewing.

Works well for us.

Peter

I am forever bemused by folks responding to postings such as seeking advice on television issues and responding that they read books, or rarely watch TV, etc. I ask each one of you - how are your comments or observations helpful to the original poster? Do you really think he cares that you don't watch TV?

We watch TV aboard and enjoy it for a variety of reasons personal to us. As to the OP, we occasionally use a tablet to stream but most of our watching is on one of our two smart TVs via a streaming service. I enjoy sports viewing. Watching on a tablet is much less satisfying than on a 32- or 42-inch TV. When we cruise we use Dish TV through an Intellian i4 because we have found cell service lacking in many anchorages. No, it is not inexpensive. We do not care. Neither is boating in general. And, over-the-air free TV, well, that can be even more spotty than streaming via cell service.

Greetings,
Mr. b. I think you've answered your own question "...whether it is worth it to install...". Since there IS the questionable amount of anticipated use AND the expense AND the loss of potential space AND the fact that you won't use it that much, I'd say, leave it be, for the time being.

I would also hope that you don't have to entertain any "guests" you have on board to the extent that TV provides. IF the "Big Game" is so important, they can stay ashore IMO.

I am forever bemused by folks responding to postings ...

Agree with all that.

The OP question almost sounds like an attempt to assign a dollar value to something that is personal and subjective. But to simplify, have you ever watched something on TV together with friends and family as a group? Can be streaming, satellite, pop a VHS in the VCR. Sports, classic movie, Christmas movie, whatever. If so, yes it is worth it. If not, no it is not.

Since the invention of radio, it has been a common practice for friends and family to huddle near the electrical device and have a shared experience. Nothing wrong with that. I’m not saying TV isn’t Satan’s electronic gateway to Hell, but so far I haven’t seen the evidence.

I’ve been thinking whether it is worth it to install a 40” flat screen on a lift in my salon, in the cabinetry, as comes in the newest models.

We occasionally watch something on our "big screen:" OTA TV, limited cellular streaming, even more limited WiFi streaming. We don't huddle over a tablet or phone or whatever to watch something better viewed on a larger platform. In fact, sometimes we'll watch something while having dinner, which means a long view from one end of the dinette to the other end of the saloon.

Recently discovered the newer Samsungs (and probably others) have a "Screen Mirroring" capability built into their "Source" selection... and that can make streaming from WiFi or cellular relatively easy.

40" and lift gets into implementation, and ours is simpler than that.

-Chris

OP, to give you feedback based on your original post, no, it does not. It sounds like you would get little value out of that (expensive) mod. You’ll certainly get zero extra dollars upon resale.

Wow, I feel so negative today[emoji846]

There are two questions here:

1. Do you want a TV or display for communal or background viewing?
2. If you do, is it worth it to do the way-cool lift mechanism?

Personal decisions. If live sports are your thing, not many alternatives to a decent sized TV. If you have space for a lift (both physical space and credit-card), they do look nice and keep the TV secure.

Peter

We watch TV aboard and enjoy it for a variety of reasons personal to us. As to the OP, we occasionally use a tablet to stream but most of our watching is on one of our two smart TVs via a streaming service. I enjoy sports viewing. Watching on a tablet is much less satisfying than on a 32- or 42-inch TV.
My last boat had a 43" smart Tv that I absolutely loved! I'm a western movie addict & with an OTA (over the air) antenna I could watch my westerns, shop on Amazon using the hot spot on my phone, monitor all the boat cameras & google things I'm interested in.

I love it so much that I even put one on my Duffy Electric that works off the onboard 1200W inverter. Yes, I am a TV addict!

Attachments

• Sandpiper TV.jpg
    Sandpiper TV.jpg
    171.7 KB · Views: 14
  • Duffy TV.jpg
    Duffy TV.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 15
We don't watch TV on the boat likely because we don't have one aboard.
If WIFI is available we will use that.
We often load library books onto the tablets. We carry soft cover books and read those.
I often am thinking about the projects next to be done. Darn list does not get shorter.
Even a small TV aboard would be a problem of where to mount it without seriously affecting the saloon function.

We watch enough TV at home.

I am forever bemused by folks responding to postings such as seeking advice on television issues and responding that they read books, or rarely watch TV, etc. I ask each one of you - how are your comments or observations helpful to the original poster? Do you really think he cares that you don't watch TV?

We watch TV aboard and enjoy it for a variety of reasons personal to us. As to the OP, we occasionally use a tablet to stream but most of our watching is on one of our two smart TVs via a streaming service. I enjoy sports viewing. Watching on a tablet is much less satisfying than on a 32- or 42-inch TV. When we cruise we use Dish TV through an Intellian i4 because we have found cell service lacking in many anchorages. No, it is not inexpensive. We do not care. Neither is boating in general. And, over-the-air free TV, well, that can be even more spotty than streaming via cell service.

The OP asked if others thought it was worth it to install another TV and explained how he planned to use it. We replied by telling how we use ours & what size worked for us. Simply intel to perhaps help the OP to make a decision.
Sorry you're bemused. I would've guessed constipated and grouchy. :rolleyes:

The OP asked if others thought it was worth it to install another TV and explained how he planned to use it. We replied by telling how we use ours & what size worked for us. Simply intel to perhaps help the OP to make a decision.

Sorry you're bemused. I would've guessed constipated and grouchy. :rolleyes:
Uh, boomerang, I was referring to posts such as #25, not each and every post in this thread. I was not referring to you. Sorry I was unable to word my comment in a manner you are able to comprehend. I'll try harder in the future. Not grouchy at all. I just have little patience for comments that contribute little or nothing to the question posed. Constipated. Nope. I crap nearly every day between 8am and 10am, thank you.

Why does it have to have the additional expense of a cabinet and motorised lift?

Why can't it simply have a roof mounted arm and hang in the corner out of the way?

Catalinajack You are right. I sort of missed the point..

However my drift was if it is worth it to you go ahead
but only you can decide. I was not clear. Sorry I offended you.

Many of us don't even have a TV aboard.

Catalinajack You are right. I sort of missed the point..

However my drift was if it is worth it to you go ahead
but only you can decide. I was not clear. Sorry I offended you.

Many of us don't even have a TV aboard.
Clectric, just so you know, by referencing just a post #, I tried not to call you out directly. I do think most of us, most times, try to contribute in a positive manner. Sometimes thoughts do not get to the written word as intended. Perhaps I am being a bit of a snowflake. Sometimes threads take off in different directions with ideas that are indeed helpful even though they are not necessarily directly on point. For example, Simi60 suggested that using a pole mount might be a viable solution.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom