Old 11-30-2015, 11:13 PM   #21
Guru

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
When Looking at boats to buy, only one thing is certain. There are more out there to look at than you will ever have time to see.

Your story on this one resonates quite close to home. Before buying our present boat, we looked at quite a few spent a lot of time doing this. One we particularly liked, we liked because of its size/price ratio. It was 9 ft longer than the one we eventually bought, we saw it after our first look at the one we bought, it was listed for less than 2/3 the price, it had lots of extras over the other one We put in an offer, it was accepted, subj to survey We hired a surveyor and took it 30 miles to get the survey done. The 30 mile trip was great, as it went a lot faster than we were used to, was a dream to drive, and big enough that I brought along a dozen friends for the ride. The surveyor found blisters galore on the bottom and told me that a $30k discount should fix those. Then he went inside and found that the bulkhead between the ER and the master stateroom on the lower deck was saturated. There were lots of other reasons it was cheap. Time for a reality check. The cost of bringing this boat to the minimum condition that would be acceptable would eat up the rest of the difference to the one we bought. $1k spent so far, but I treated that as the cheapest insurance against buying the wrong boat and moved on. Within a month we owned the right boat which we still have after 21 years.
Just my story, but hope you can learn from it.

koliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 11:39 PM   #22
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
If you are looking for an expensive, long term, work filled effort-project.... Then purchase this boat.

Otherwise, take the time to pleasurably keep visiting other boats until you find one in good condition, that originated from a good-build-out manufacturer, and whose PO maintained her well... on all levels.

They are out there. Believe me you are already way too questioning about way too many obvious and too many not too obvious problems to end up being comfortable with this boat.

When you find the correct boat there will be "chemistry" that happens between the boat and you. That's one reason we refer to them in the female gender!

Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 07:06 PM   #23
Veteran Member

City: Western MD
Reality check is right! I will chaulk all of this up to a good experience-- a learning one anyways, which is was in a thousand ways. It is true--I realize trying to talk myself into being comfortable with a boat is no way to go. (Might have to spend much more to be comfortable too.) My low offer was rejected, and the fact that I am relieved says alot. I do hope to find the perfect one and report that soon. Thanks again for all the valuable insight.
Herderings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 09:05 PM   #24
Art
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herderings View Post
Reality check is right! I will chaulk all of this up to a good experience-- a learning one anyways, which is was in a thousand ways. It is true--I realize trying to talk myself into being comfortable with a boat is no way to go. (Might have to spend much more to be comfortable too.) My low offer was rejected, and the fact that I am relieved says alot. I do hope to find the perfect one and report that soon. Thanks again for all the valuable insight.
Herderings - There is an old saying in the pleasure-boat marine world; it goes something along these lines: "The correct boat eventually choses you!"

Again I mention the magic of chemistry that happens when you and the correct boat meet. Never be afraid to walk away if feeling just taint correct. That said; to locate the correct boat that can "choose you"... may take many, many visits to different boats. The correct mate generally does not occur in a jiffy... for a human life-mate and/or for a correct chemistry mate-boat!

Good Luck, Matey!!! Art
Old 12-02-2015, 10:01 PM   #25
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herderings View Post
Often the best deals we make in life are the ones we don't make, the ones that get away.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 05:51 AM   #26
FF
Guru

"I do hope to find the perfect one and report that soon."

Big buck brand spanking new boats are seldom "perfect".That's why smart folks get them surveyed.

Why would you expect a 20-40 year old boat to be "Perfect"?

Perfect , for any used boat is the amount of work required to get into your version of good enough.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 08:13 AM   #27

City: Baytown, Texas
Vessel Name: Islander
Vessel Model: Prairie 36
Hey I know the feeling looking at boats that need work in order to find one you think you can afford. I've bitten off a pretty good chunk of a project with my boat but at least I'm making good progress. I got the boat for $20K and have so far spent about $8K getting her usable. I figure about another $8-10K to get her like I want her but I do enjoy piddling with boats. I know I'll have a fun cruiser that the wife enjoys too. That's where it's all at. This boat kinda found me as I was really wanting a sailboat and I had looked at the boat last year and passed. However, I am friends with the previous owner and he called me to see if he came down on the price if I'd be interested. So maybe it was fate.
LOL.

Kevin
tallswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 11:33 AM   #28
TF Site Team

City: Paris,TN
Vessel Name: William
Vessel Model: Outer reef 32
When we were looking I had a sailboat for sale . We weren't sure if we going sail or power . There was a Hans Christian 33 that was 50 miles from us on our same waterway . We wanted it bad . I wanted it too bad . Owner wanted 60 k . It had teak decks that were pretty rough and a rotten bow sprit . I was thinking I could fix all this and there would never be another HC this close to me . I offered 30k cash and no survey . He came back at 50 and settled on 45 based on survey . I wanted this one bad so I cleaned it up and did some little stuff which was dumb because I wanted it to survey out . The owner was in the hospital. When the surveyor showed up he looked at it for about 20 minutes and then he stopped and asked me where we were at on price . I told him 45 k . He said I will save you some money on this survey and stop right now if you want . He said it was only worth 30 k . He only charged me 150 bucks for his time . I told the owner what the surveyor said but he refused to budge . I offered him 40k ( I wanted it bad ) he refused . The day before I flew out to see the trawler we have now he called and lowered price to 43,500 , not even a split . We are very happy that it didn't go that way now . The boat sat for another 2 years before selling .
When we browsed on YW we would pick out about five we liked and then start eliminating . We just kept coming back to one we have now . This took at least a
year . Good luck with your search .
Old 12-03-2015, 02:03 PM   #29
Art
Guru

Synopsis on our currently favored boat's purchase (having had decades of boat experience):

1. Linda and I listed all the desires we each had for a boat... certain trade offs were made... none great enough to cause either any distress (we work well together).
2. Importantly we decided where and how we were to use our boat at this stage of life (in a decade + time span). This made thoughts and decisions in # 1 easier to define.
3. We called on over a hundred boats and visited well over 30 similar boats to what met our criteria. This took a few years.
4. Much occurred during the several months we watched local ads (on CL) for the boat we choose. Once aboard the Tollycraft - it is true - the boat virtually chose us! BTW: In addition to the boat itself being correct in its style and build-quality... PO had really done a bang-up job on repairs/maintenance as requirement became noted.
5. Have owned our 1977 34' Tolly Tri Cabin, Sun Deck boat since 8/2008. Use it as often as possible. Absolutely no complaints! Plan to continue ownership for years into future.

PS: Have owned other boats since; one 31' Uniflite, an inboard ski boat, an o/b inflatable (all three have been sold), and currently own a Crestliner tow behind, o/b runabout we use each time we go out on the Tolly. Currently looking for an older tri hull o/b runabout in the 16 to 18 foot range with applicable size motor... must be in near perfect condition.

PSS: "Near Perfect Condition" is an important part of the equation for purchasing used boats. Correct price is another important item. Those two factors are locatable together - via careful research and viewing efforts. Expect to spend some time... unless you are extremely lucky; some persons are.
Old 12-03-2015, 02:48 PM   #30
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pack Mule View Post
There was a Hans Christian 33 that was 50 miles from us on our same waterway . We wanted it bad . I wanted it too bad .
I know this feeling that Hans Christian's exert. I'm still always on the lookout for an HC pilothouse or a proper Fisher.
Northern Spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 03:38 PM   #31
TF Site Team

City: Paris,TN
Vessel Name: William
Vessel Model: Outer reef 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Spy View Post
I know this feeling that Hans Christian's exert. I'm still always on the lookout for an HC pilothouse or a proper Fisher.
I sent you a pm but your box was full and didn't go thru .
Old 12-03-2015, 04:40 PM   #32

City: Bethlehem, PA
Vessel Name: Lady Kay V
Vessel Model: Don't know yet.....
Our last boat was a Catalina 42, which I had been hunting for, across the nation, for quite some time. The cheapest one I saw was around 100K and a dog.... the nice ones almost twice that.

Then it popped up on YachtcrackWorld. "As is, where is" 65K Call XYZ Bank Foreclosure Sales. I was there the next morning. Lots of small to very small fast boats on their lot. Not a sailboat in sight. This boat was at a commercial boat yard. The sales guy had no idea what he was looking at. And it was quite disheveled, nay grungy. Neglected but did not appear abused. We did get to run the engine, never unfurled the sails. Two hours later I had a deal for 60K.

The surveyor kept shaking his head.... but said:"You want this boat?" I said "Oh yeah" He delicately worded the shortcomings and wrote it up for 75K

The hardest part was financing, as the bank could not seem to get the paperwork with the foreclosing bank straightened out, until I told them "It's YOUR bank knuckleheads, go to the right cubicle and sort it out." The foreclosee appeared to be the former head of anesthesiology at a pretty famous hospital. Based on what I found on board it appears he may have taken a liking to his merchandise.

Then it was really mine.

I put 5 months of every spare minute in it, and close to 25K. Stripped bottom, barrier coat and paint. New electronics. New AC. Upgraded battery/charging system, including a small ac in our cabin which ran off an inverter for 8-10 hours. Added a dinghy. Upgraded ground tackle. Cleaned and waxed and cleaned and varnished. Fixed/replaced all the canvas, which was pretty much toast.. Cleaned the sails and had them repaired. Then we put 6000 miles on her between the Chesapeake and SE FLorida. Had a ball.

Then I sold her for 99K minus commission, almost broke even. During it's survey EVERYTHING worked.

Takes the right boat and the right person.
Old 12-03-2015, 07:05 PM   #33
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pack Mule View Post
I sent you a pm but your box was full and didn't go thru .
All clear now.
Northern Spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 09:46 PM   #34
Guru

City: Fort Pierce
Vessel Name: Florita Ann
Vessel Model: 1982 Present
Buy a better boat...cheaper in the long run.... Less aggrivation.

Mule is online now   Reply With Quote