Old 09-21-2014, 11:56 AM   #1
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Boating alone.....

Wifey B: I've never done it. My boating started when I met my hubby. We've always done it together. So honestly I don't understand it, but that said, I don't think I would enjoy it. Now my hubby did boat alone for years before I came along. He says he enjoyed it but after boating with others he sure wouldn't want to go back.

So I'm curious about others. Do you enjoy it? Or do you find it missing something most important? Just to me seems one of the greatest parts of cruising isn't just what you see, but sharing that with others. Is it enough to see the beautiful dolphins playing and putting on a show...they are freaking showoffs...I like them. Or does one have to be able to yell to their spouse or mate or friend to share the view?

Maybe it's just whether we're loners or congregate creatures individually. Funny thing though is my hubby and I pretended we were loners before we met, both pictured things alone and now we find out we aren't at all as we're together all the time.

And for those who have lost spouses, my heart bleeds for you. Have you found a way to still enjoy boating? Do you take friends along or go with others?

So is it enjoyable as a solitary sport and how do those of you who enjoy it that way do it?

Sorry I'm like asking a thinking question and not anchors or something...
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 12:42 PM   #2
Guru

City: Niceville, FL
Vessel Name: At Last
Vessel Model: 1990 Jefferson 52 Marquessa
I really did enjoy solo when I was sailing. Sailing is always a challenge that you are trying to perfect on. So when you are solo you are working on just that. When I went solo it gave me a great chance to be one with nature and my maker. I do miss that. When I have company sometimes I am too busy to do that. Now that we are with MYs I have not done any solo so I don't know how it would be. I would expect it would be lacking since it does not have that sailing challenge to it.
Rogerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 12:50 PM   #3
Technical Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
I've been on long solo trips, and long trips with friends, S/O, and crew. Both have their advantages. Solo allows the mind to wander far and wide and deep without interruption. The depth of thinking is hard to acheive when at home or elsewhere, as there is always a distraction or something you should be doing. With crew, you also are distracted. Not a bad thing at all, but after a few days alone at sea I come back wondering where the time went and a notebook full of thoughts. I come up to the dock and have the strong notion to just keep going....

But having crew allows super naps, low stress poops, properly cooked food, good conversation, etc.

I enjoy both situations!!!
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 12:55 PM   #4
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski in NC View Post

I enjoy both situations!!!

What he said.

Of course it also depends on I whether I am running my own boat or someone else's.
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 01:00 PM   #5
Veteran Member

City: Ottawa
Vessel Model: 2004 MacGregor 26M, for now
+1 on saling solo. There's really nothing like it, simply beautiful. In fact, I think there's an expression/quote that states"if sailing alone was not possible, I never would have gotten into it in the first place" or something to that effect.

Boating/cruising is much different. In fact, right now I don't have the mast on my sailboat and I'd never dream of going to the boat for a cruise by myself. I would go to do some work and bum about the marina a bit.

Then again, I am an introvert so I do enjoy some solitude. Sailing is challenging enough to keep you busy and adjusting and playing with lines and the wind. Not sure you get the same thing out of cruising.
taime1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 01:07 PM   #6
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Only problem w boating alone is that I needed an auto pilot to relieve myself w any waves at all on my 26' trawler.

Many things are actually simplified.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 01:10 PM   #7
Technical Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
Autopilot is GOD. I will never cruise without it, unless it dies or Armegeddon occurs. Cruised without one on an old Harker's fish boat. NEVER again.
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 01:13 PM   #8
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
I could see extended cruising in protected waters alone in a small boat; but it's not a goal of mine. I've taken the Hatt out a few times solo, just for the morning or afternoon, usually after getting it pumped out or when I was going to turn it around to get the other side of the boat to the dock, so what the heck, let's go for a boat ride! I love going out for long solo day trips in the Whaler, very therapeutic.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 01:15 PM   #9
Guru

City: Niceville, FL
Vessel Name: At Last
Vessel Model: 1990 Jefferson 52 Marquessa
Auto pilot......... is there a helm on the boat? I thought is was just buttons on the autopilot..
Rogerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 01:19 PM   #10
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Hubby B: Unlike my wife who started this thread, I'm shy. I'm not sure I'd say an introvert, just someone who would spend a lot of time alone if not for her and now our friends and family, because of that shyness. I use to boat on the lake alone all the time. I had a stressful job and I was a workaholic so it was such a relief. The wind in my face was the one thing that made me not think too much. Just to enjoy. Once I met her my life became more balanced and I never felt that need to escape. Then I also began enjoying the water with her. So while it was good alone before I experience doing it always with someone, it would be very difficult for me to enjoy now.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 02:15 PM   #11
Veteran Member

City: Ottawa
Vessel Model: 2004 MacGregor 26M, for now
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski in NC View Post
Autopilot is GOD. I will never cruise without it, unless it dies or Armegeddon occurs. Cruised without one on an old Harker's fish boat. NEVER again.
Sadly, my autopilot is a bungee cord...and even more sadly, it's a better sailor than I
taime1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 02:20 PM   #12
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
If not with my Admiral, I prefer solo. I'm sure I'd get a lot of critique here if I shared how I manage full days as a solo pilot, but I do manage. With my Admiral, I share most everything, and I enjoy that she can also enjoy her own private space when we are underway.

"When life gets hard, eat marshmallows”.
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 02:21 PM   #13
Guru

City: Adelaide
Vessel Name: Kokanee
Vessel Model: Cuddles 30 Pilot House Motor Sailer
I enjoy boating solo. Being at one with the sea, and just letting the mind drift is one of life's greatest pleasures. I probably boat solo 50% of the time.

I do also enjoy cruising with my wife, children, or a group of friends, but tend to choose company carefully.

When conditions are rough, I prefer being on my own, rather than with someone who is turning green, and not really enjoying themselves in the conditions.

I do take extra precautions and wear a harness and tether line when on the deck alone in rough water. I'd hate to go overboard and watch my boat sail into the sunset without me.
AusCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 03:58 PM   #14
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
I do enjoy cruising solo. Traveled from Fort Myers, FL to Maryland most of the time solo. Found it enjoyable, stimulating, challenging, and peaceful. Had two friends join me each for 2 days and had a great time with them. I'm unfortunately not blessed with a spouse who enjoys boating (seasickness).

Am I an introvert? One of my favorite tee shirts: "I live in my own little world.....but it's ok......they know me here".

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 04:35 PM   #15

City: Cape Cod, MA or Fort Myers, FL
Vessel Name: Osprey
Vessel Model: Her Shine. Newburyport
I enjoy boating and I'm ok going alone, but Cape Cod to Florida can get lonely. Just getting ready to move the boat south now... After waiting for longtime girlfriend, who will now fly down and meet me... She saw some of the ICW and it takes too long.

Like Ski said "But having crew allows super naps, low stress poops, properly cooked food, good conversation, etc."
Capecodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 04:37 PM   #16
Guru

I enjoy both. But I would be lying if I said that I didn't miss my wife's company and having a deckhand when she wasn't with me.
mahal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 04:39 PM   #17
Guru

City: Windsor
Vessel Name: Keeper IV
Vessel Model: 44 Viking ACMY
Every year in late fall I run the boat solo up to her winter storage. It's about a 2 hour run. It's one of my favorite days. (Except for the haulout part).

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Trawler
mbevins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 04:44 PM   #18
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
I bought a boat specifically to single hand although I seldom do. Bliss could have easily been named Family Time as that's exactly what it represents. The few times I have single handed I've been quite content.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 05:53 PM   #19
Guru

City: Port Ludlow
Vessel Name: Fiddler
Vessel Model: DeFever 46
I took two week-long trips to the San Juans recently, one with my wife and one alone. I prefer boating with the wife, but the single handing has its challenges and it was rewarding for me to be able to anchor, launch and retrieve the dinghy, catch and cook crabs, and return safely to the dock in Seattle. A confidence builder for sure. Especially on a 50' boat.
drb1025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 06:02 PM   #20
Guru

City: Madeira Beach, FL
Vessel Name: Seaweed
Vessel Model: Schucker mini-trawler
For the most part WifeyB, I like being a soloist. Should I wake up at 0100 there is no one aboard except Skipper to disturb. I might get up and work on a project, surf the internet, read a book or simply go out to the cockpit and watch the stars march across the sky.

When my friend (another soloist but she's on a sailboat currently anchored near Beaufort NC) and I talked about this topic just last week, we both mentioned eating. Yes, anything at any hour of the day. Cereal for dinner? Sounds easy.

Neither of us have to conform to another's palate. Nor societies ideas of proper breakfast, lunch and supper. We have no one else's expectations to deal with, and thus can enjoy each day in the way we wish.

That said, I did grow up as an only child aboard a 40'er so solitude is a state I'm comfortable with.

Still I do miss having someone to phone and say "I just saw the biggest turtle" or "the shrimp are growing" or "see that gar?"

So, here you go: See the gar?