Old 03-14-2016, 07:03 PM   #21
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pack Mule View Post
We are at a state park marina.It doesn't have any haul out facilities . We have done a bunch of work on William in a covered slip,lots of woodwork,sanding, varnishing and painting.I bought a Festtool sander,grinder/vacuum combo . It was pricing but it's quiet and virtually no dust escapes the vacuum.We kept everything cleaned up as we went.If we felt like we were bugging a neighbor we just stopped for the day.
I wish all my neighbors were like you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pure pleasure View Post
That was a cut and past from the lease
I missed the cut and paste from the lease. Could you paste it again in quotes or italics?

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 09:10 PM   #22
Guru

City: Maine Coast
Vessel Name: Tortuga
Vessel Model: Nunes Brothers Raised Deck Cruiser
If they told me "outside contractors only", I would hire my own company and send me to do the work

TDunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 09:14 PM   #23
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDunn View Post
If they told me "outside contractors only", I would hire my own company and send me to do the work
Have a copy of your businesses' $1 million liability policy handy?
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 10:40 AM   #24
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Have a copy of your businesses' $1 million liability policy handy?
Yep, that's the downside of that plan.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 10:50 AM   #25

City: Freeport Tx
So been in the marina a little more than a month think I have seen every rule broken here staff at marine watching so I guess do what you want and ask for forgiveness when you get asked to stop
Pure pleasure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 12:03 PM   #26
Guru

City: Maryland
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
Some marinas around here restrict DIY work so they can more easily maintain their "MD Clean Marina" status. Much of that is about containment during sanding, blasting... and then any run-off. Latter controlled even when they do things like power-washing hulls themselves, as during a haul-out for instance; restricted to being in a specific place in the work-yard and the catchment tanks under there.

-Chris
Old 04-05-2016, 12:51 PM   #27
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pure pleasure View Post
So been in the marina a little more than a month think I have seen every rule broken here staff at marine watching so I guess do what you want and ask for forgiveness when you get asked to stop
Breaking rules doesn't get you in too much trouble until something goes wrong. Just keep in mind that with every rule you agreed to and then violate, you're assuming a tremendous amount of liability.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 02:44 PM   #28
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
While I didn't get in too much trouble...and many of the recipients later thought I was an upstanding guy.....

The first year I had my boat I started sanding off the bottom paint....well I keep sanding and grinding for nearly 3 months due to severe blistering and hydrolysis.

No big deal till the first decent dew on the boats in October. The blue bottom paint turned about 25 boats all around me all different colors from brown to purple.

I spent a week washing and scrubbing boats...from a 55 footer to a bunch of 20 somethings. My arms still hurt 4 years later.

The manager was all pissed...but the owner just laughed every day as I headed out with bucket and brush. It was in the yard, not the docks so it really wasn't a restricted activity....but I didn't want hard feelings and as I posted...by the time I was done, most owners said their boatds were never so clean...several boats I did 2-3 times... the 3X winners were a 37 foot Egg harbor sportfish and the other a 41 Sea Ray OUCH!!!
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 03:40 PM   #29
Guru

City: Seneca Lake NY
Vessel Name: Bacchus
Vessel Model: MS 34 HT Trawler
Must be clear whether it's in a slip or in the yard...usually two different conditions / restrictions - at least in my case.

In the slip it's all about creating problems w/ neighbors

In the yard similar w/ neighboring boats but more importantly is EPA & State DEC reqm'ts - and topside vs bottom can be very different

Our YARD will allow DIY sanding & bottom painting provided...
Plastic / tarps cover ground - dust / drippings collected & disposed of at least daily & properly...
yard very sensitive to environmental issues and possibility of a Gov Inspector showing up = Fines$$$

Topside sanding & even spray painting allowed (w/ prior discussion & permissions) owner just wants to make sure you protect other boats adequately

I've done all of the above w/ little / no issues when ask ahead and understand the reqm'ts - owner has even provided waste shrink wrap for ground covers -
Sometimes it helps to keep communications open and establish trust vs do it and beg forgiveness

Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote