"Nope, orders mean pressure."
Attached Thumbnails
Joe Albury.jpg  
Hawgwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 01:12 PM   #22

City: New Rochelle, NY
Vessel Name: Jerry Land
Vessel Model: Grand Banks/Alaskan
She was kept in the water all year. Only hauled for repairs and/or maintenance for 7-10 days. Keeping the boat in the water has definitely helped fasteners from being torqued repeatedly.
jjorgenson3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 02:44 PM   #23
TF Site Team

City: Paris,TN
Vessel Name: Slo-Poke
Vessel Model: Jorgensen custom 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawgwash View Post
Joe Albury, Man O'War Cay, Abaco.

"Boat's for sale, when I roll it out onto the beach."

"Can I order one?"

I was in Aubury's shop behind the store few years ago when he was framing one up . We have some friends that live in Treasure Cay . They know him so they talked him in to letting me in the shop . He said very little and I was asking a bunch a questions , you know because I am a half ass carpenter . I guess I asked one to many questions about the build and he never said another word .I knew it was time to leave . Very cool place that Man O' War Cay . I think his dinghies are around 12k . Beautiful boats .
Old 05-01-2016, 04:34 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

City: Home Port: Buck's Harbor, Maine
Vessel Name: "Emily Anne"
Vessel Model: 2001 Island Gypsy 32 Europa (Hull #146)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawgwash View Post
Joe Albury, Man O'War Cay, Abaco.

"Boat's for sale, when I roll it out onto the beach."

"Can I order one?"

Thanks. Sent this to a friend whose family has had a house on Man O'War for years.
Old 05-01-2016, 04:59 PM   #25
Guru

City: Sidney
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pack Mule View Post
He said very little....
A man of few words indeed. Only reason he let me take his picture is because I told him I hand heard of him all the way on the west coast of Canada.
Old 05-01-2016, 05:00 PM   #26
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
When I was in high school I had an Albury boat that was about 16 feet long and was a power boat. It looked very much like the one in Hawg's picture but bigger. I'm not sure if it had ever been rigged to sail.

I don't know when it was built but the engine was 1930's vintage. It was a ten hp Palmer. I started it by giving the flywheel a flip. Ignition was a tractor magneto with two leads. The funny thing was it was a two cylinder engine but had four spark plugs. In addition to two spark plugs, each cylinder had a priming cup that I could use to pour raw gasoline into the cylinder. That boat taught me a lot.

It wasn't fast or fancy so I never asked girls out in it. Years later a woman who I had been quite smitten with in high school asked me why I never took her for a boat ride? I think I screwed up big time. That one was a keeper.
Old 05-01-2016, 05:04 PM   #27
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
I think I screwed up big time. That one was a keeper.
The boat or the woman?
Old 05-01-2016, 05:14 PM   #28
Guru

Both
Old 05-01-2016, 05:26 PM   #29
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwhatty View Post
Thanks. Sent this to a friend whose family has had a house on Man O'War for years.
I had told Dave Gale at Island Marine I wanted to see an Albury sailing dinghy. He told me where to go but said I likely wouldn't get close. I did.
Old 05-01-2016, 05:45 PM   #30
Guru

Hawg, is that the Dave Gale who wrote the book Ready About? I think he worked in my store back in the fifties before he moved to the Abacos.
Old 05-01-2016, 05:53 PM   #31
TF Site Team

City: Paris,TN
Vessel Name: Slo-Poke
Vessel Model: Jorgensen custom 44
Motoring into Man O' War was like going back in time . There was an Aubury sailing dinghy that he had just completed tied up to the dock there . It was beautiful . Thanks for posting. Makes me want to go back .
Old 05-01-2016, 05:59 PM   #32
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
Hawg, is that the Dave Gale who wrote the book Ready About? I think he worked in my store back in the fifties before he moved to the Abacos.
Same guy Hoppy. Lots of history there. I'll see if I have a picture of him.
Small world for sure.
Old 05-01-2016, 07:37 PM   #33
Guru

Here you go Parks.
Not much of a picture. Dave's the one dressed for the weather having a litte break off Staniel Cay. I have another but he's hiding in the shade while us white boys try to grab some color.

I chartered a plane and invited Dave along as tour guide while we spent the day island hopping from Marsh Harbor plum down to Crooked Islands with a stop to play Santy Claws jumpin' in the chimney at Thunderball Grotto.

Nice man. Nice family.
Here's his website:
http://www.davegalebooks.com/
Attached Thumbnails
D G.jpg   C.jpg   J.jpg  
Old 05-01-2016, 11:58 PM   #34
Guru

City: LaConner
Vessel Model: 34' CHB
Don't really have a lot to add to the above but my own experience. I did shipwright work on wood boats in the NW for nearly 30 years. I apprenticed at Fishing Vessel Owners at Fishermans Terminal in Seattle in the mid 70's, then migrated north to LaConner and worked here and in Anacortes for some 16 years more before the work just got so sporadic, I eventually found other ways to fill my time. I was sick of it anyway. But to the OP question. Wood is great, but it has its issues. Yes, wood does rot in salt water but just rots faster in fresh. We used to say fresh water kills wood boats. Rain! My last wood boat was a 1948 Monk bridgedeck cruiser of about 33' with a gas engine. Hull stayed pretty good, but the Port Orford cedar house sides went south in the rainy weather. It really deserved to be under cover but the costs kept me out in the rain. You pay on one end or the other. A wood boat really should be under cover, hell, a lot of glass boats should be under cover, mine is! As mentioned above while salt is generally better for wood than fresh, the reverse is true of underwater metals, salt eats them up. Monel is nice stuff but rarely encountered at least in this NOTW. Galvy fastenings are fine as long as they are buried well, bronze is likely the best but SS is good also. If one has no idea how to go about replacing a plank, get a shipwright to do it or at least show you how it is done. Its not that big a deal but its easy to screw up, I have replaced hundreds by now I suppose on all sizes of boats and small ships. I once replaced a garboard on a huge ex govt boat in Seattle. It was 6" thick on its butt end, over 20' long and over 3" thick on the hood end against the forefoot. Steamed all day and put it on in the afternoon with big jacks, wedges and top mauls driving huge galvy I/2" square ship spikes of varying lengths. They flew a couple of us to Ketchikan once from Seattle to replace a section of keel on a Miki Tug that had grounded. For those who don't know what a Miki is, its an ex Army WWII wood tug of about 125' length. The section of keel was about 30' if I recall. We were there a week on that job. Its a specialized trade, and not something that a house framer will just naturally know much about. It helps to have shipwright friends if you own a wood boat! Didn't mean to drone on so much.
78puget-trawler is offline   Reply With Quote