Closed Thread

Old 03-07-2013, 11:32 AM   #161
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisjs View Post
A serious "buyer" would buy a ticket to the West Coast and go take a look!! !!
First, get all the details missing from internet the sales BS. Hampton Seattle now is the Selene PNW dealer so has a few onboard blue water guys who could help a smart and savvy buyer cut to the chase via e-mails, new specific pictures and phone.

Old 03-07-2013, 11:51 AM   #162
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisjs View Post
So now there is a vessel that appears to meet all GG's "criteria".
A very nice & roomy boat but "no cockpit!" I know, I know, a lot of you don't have cockpits on your boat but to me, the biggest reason for boating is to put me closer to the water. I can't imagine fishing, swimming or diving out of anything other than a nice cockpit! At anchor or in the slip, it's also a great place to hang out and contemplate your navel.
Attached Images

My passion for improving my boat(s) exceeds my desire to constantly cruise them.
Old 03-07-2013, 11:58 AM   #163
Guru

Like I said, it is about time to start actually looking at vessels. Can not dispute the "getting more info" perspective but sooner or later you have to go look!!! If nothing else it is a great learning experience.
Old 03-07-2013, 12:53 PM   #164
Veteran Member

City: Wisconsin
Wood constructoin can be very strong. Consider de Havilland Mosquito - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia made of wood. I think the greatest problem buying a boat with wood construction is finding a surveyor that knows wood. There are also bad surveyors out there so I would do my own assessment even though I was using written instructions on how to do an inspection. It's not as good as a surveyor who knows wood and does a careful assessment, but it would be better than the job a bad surveyor would do and it does give an initial assessment before calling in an expert.
Old 03-07-2013, 07:37 PM   #165
Guru

Well spotted Peter, I`d be interested in feedback from GGs evaluation of this, and any other "little ship", I feel sure they are at the inspection stage of boat acquisition with the advice received. The advert. does not suggest it needs half its price spent on preparation, but then it`s an advert. The engine hours are modest for age, can`t have done much LR cruising.
Is the "total power" quoted for the Cats at 335hp really per engine, and not "total".
Easily accessed at Alameda, no crossing oceans, looks good on paper.
Old 03-07-2013, 08:20 PM   #166
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
I'd be look'in at Radiant Star myself. Several years ago that boat was totally rebuilt in Scotland and sailed on her own bottom to Anacortes via Cape Horn. Has Gardner power and I think most anybody would feel comfortable anywhere in any ocean except perhaps the poles. May not be any wood problems for 30 years or more. See C lectric's post # 153 for the live link.

"1956 J&G Forbes Boat Yard North Sea Trawler Power Boat For Sale"

North Western Washington State USA
Old 03-08-2013, 09:05 AM   #167
Veteran Member

Bright Star does not have much tankage for diesel. For a boat this size, probably not going to get much better than a mile per gallon. Maybe retrofitted with something like this? Marine Fuel Bladders and Auxiliary Fuel Tanks
Old 03-08-2013, 09:51 AM   #168
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
I'd be look'in at Radiant Star myself. Several years ago that boat was totally rebuilt in Scotland and sailed on her own bottom to Anacortes via Cape Horn. Has Gardner power and I think most anybody would feel comfortable anywhere in any ocean except perhaps the poles. May not be any wood problems for 30 years or more. See C lectric's post # 153 for the live link.

"1956 J&G Forbes Boat Yard North Sea Trawler Power Boat For Sale"
I spent some time on Radiant Star last fall and know the listiing broker very well. It is indeed a proven great sea boat in very nice condition. The cabin space would need major re-juggling for her crew and family needs.

GG now knows enough to strike out on her own with the right help by her side. Downtown Abbey awaits the search details, twists and turns as this tale unfolds.
Old 03-08-2013, 10:01 AM   #169
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by westwinds View Post
Bright Star does not have much tankage
If you mean Radiant Star - It performed an 18,000 nm journey in traveling from Scotland to the PNW. On board fuel capacity is very good but if needed it could haul a 3 axle tanker if required.
Old 03-08-2013, 10:03 AM   #170
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post
If you mean Radiant Star - It performed an 18,000 nm journey in traveling from Scotland to the PNW. On board fuel capacity is very good but if needed it could haul a 3 axle tanker if required.
I thought those were temporary tanks for much of the diesel for the trip

Yes I should have said Radiant Star
Old 03-08-2013, 10:52 AM   #171
Guru

There was an article in PMM about the Star, her refit and her voyage to Anacortes. Yes she was fitted w bladders for the trip.

Old 03-08-2013, 11:01 AM   #172
Guru

Those Gardners are a bit antique but I think you can still get spares. I actually looked at a 65' steel Cammenga with Gardners in the UK when I first started looking for a larger vessel. Ended up buying a 47 Selene in the US instead but copied the Cammenga name (Auriga) because it was such a nice vessel. I believe you can actually take one or two cylinders off line to work on the engine while it is still operating. A friend's father was involved in the design of these engines.
Old 03-08-2013, 12:26 PM   #173
Guru

City: Flattop Islands
Vessel Name: Blackfish
Vessel Model: custom
Radiant Star remains on the market because (IMO) she is a big boat with no deck saloon. The living area is all downstairs with no view out and rather dark. Her next owner faces cutting the pilot house off and building a new deck house.
Old 03-08-2013, 12:31 PM   #174
Guru

City: Everett Wa
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Fill View Post
Woo! How did I miss that? Now that is a nice boat for the price. Its not listed in the Seattle Broker Boats?

Last night I had time to look at the boat. My wife probable would not even considerate it with the present stern swim platform and the steps. However the swim platform and step could be changed. Also the boat seems to have some steps to the staterooms, which my wife would not have. That is why she likes the Pilot house lay out because it has the least stairs and easier access from/to the dock.

We also like the wide body with no walk around decks, which gives more living space. The bigger the boat the less side decks are needed/used.
Old 03-08-2013, 12:44 PM   #175
Guru

Thanks TAD I really admire the Radiant Star.

Re your comments the aft end of the house isn't very attractive but building a new house is probably fly stuff compared to the work done on her hull in Scotland. Who her next owner becomes will probably decide her fate.

Perhaps I shouldn't have posted her here.

Old 03-08-2013, 02:10 PM   #176
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tad Roberts View Post
Radiant Star remains on the market because (IMO) she is a big boat with no deck saloon. The living area is all downstairs with no view out and rather dark. Her next owner faces cutting the pilot house off and building a new deck house.
Well, if they do change the pilothouse, better check with a marine architect to make sure the center of gravity and center of buoyancy are not changed enough to make the boat more likely to roll if hit by a rogue wave. The same problem with adding fuel tanks on deck. Diesel weights 7.15 pounds per gallon. That’s 14,700 pounds for a 2000 gallon bladder tank. Also, wind pressure against a larger pilothouse makes the boat harder to handle.
Old 03-08-2013, 03:25 PM   #177
Guru

[QUOTE=westwinds;140172]Well, if they do change the pilothouse, better check with a marine architect /QUOTE]

And Tad Roberts is just the guy to comment on and do the design work.
Old 03-08-2013, 05:06 PM   #178
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
Thanks TAD I really admire the Radiant Star.

Re your comments the aft end of the house isn't very attractive but building a new house is probably fly stuff compared to the work done on her hull in Scotland. Who her next owner becomes will probably decide her fate.

Perhaps I shouldn't have posted her here.
Oh don't get me wrong, Radiant Star is a beautiful boat, just not particularly attractive to those buying that size and type of yacht.

A small deck saloon could be added (replacing the nav station there currently) behind the raised pilot house. If done sympathetically it could be really nice. Unfortunately people get greedy and want everything bigger....which is a mistake......
Old 03-08-2013, 05:10 PM   #179
Guru

Quote:
Well, if they do change the pilothouse, better check with a marine architect to make sure the center of gravity and center of buoyancy are not changed enough to make the boat more likely to roll if hit by a rogue wave. The same problem with adding fuel tanks on deck. Diesel weights 7.15 pounds per gallon. Thatís 14,700 pounds for a 2000 gallon bladder tank. Also, wind pressure against a larger pilothouse makes the boat harder to handle.
These boats are so heavy (200,000 pounds plus) and deep it takes a lot to create a dangerous stability problem. With a smaller boat it's much easier. I've seen it done with giant two and three story deckhouses, usually built by house carpenters who have no business altering old boats.
Old 03-08-2013, 05:11 PM   #180
Guru

[QUOTE=sunchaser;140187]
Quote:
Well, if they do change the pilothouse, better check with a marine architect /QUOTE]

And Tad Roberts is just the guy to comment on and do the design work.
Thank you Sun for the positive comment.......

Closed Thread