Old 10-10-2019, 08:23 AM   #1
Guru

City: Rochester, NY
Vessel Name: Hour Glass
Vessel Model: Chris Craft 381 Catalina
Wiper System Redesign

As you can see in this picture, my current wipers aren't great. And they're the original motors from 1986, so they're not self parking. So it's time to build a new setup.

I'm thinking of using the Ongaro HD Waterproof motors, as they're about $90 each and fairly powerful compared to other options in that price range (rated for 24" arm, 24" blade). What I'm working on is the arm design. I'll almost definitely be going with a pantograph arm setup, but there are some details still to figure out.

Each of my windshield panels is 36" wide, 28" tall. The current wiper shaft location is 30" from the bottom edge of the glass. The original setup uses 16" blades (although 18" would probably fit fine).

I'd like to get 20" blades on the setup, which in theory limits me to 20" arms to avoid running the blades off the bottom of the glass in the middle of the sweep. But with 20" arms, an 80* sweep only covers just under 26" of glass width. Going to 90* would get me just over 28", but starts to get a lot more vertical travel at the ends, which could start to limit blade length to avoid hitting the top of the glass.

So I'm thinking of modifying the ends of the arms to move the wiper blade mount inwards (putting the pivot point out beyond the center of the blade). That should allow me to run a longer arm without making the total package longer (still need to stay just under 30" from motor shaft to end of blade). If I can get to a 22" arm, that'll get me the 28" wide sweep with 80* of motor sweep. And if I go to 90*, I get 31" of width, which is most of the way across the glass. If I can get the arm up to 24", that would be even better. That gets me to 31" at 80*, 34" at 90*.

As far as wiring, I'm not planning to use the high speed on the motors (not needed), but I'll definitely wire them for self parking. And the plan is to use an (on)-off-on switch so I have a momentary position to take advantage of the self parking for a "wipe once" feature.

Any thoughts / ideas on ways to optimize this system?

rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 10:25 AM   #2
Guru

I just did a little more math on this. If I can stay with 80* sweep, I can go as big as 22" blades. With 90* sweep and a 22" arm, I can fit a 21" blade. 90* sweep and 24" arm limits me to a 20" blade. This is based on whether the blade will hit the top of the glass at the outer ends of the sweep.
Old 10-10-2019, 01:09 PM   #3
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: AZZURRA
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 54
AM Equipment are the wiper experts. They can answer your questions. Even provide you with pantograph arms.
tiltrider1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 05:40 AM   #4
FF
Guru

For really foul weather , and perhaps icing,the Clearview can be beat.

Clear view screen - Wikipedia

https://en.wikipedia.org › wiki › Clear_view_screen

A clear view screen or clearview screen is a glass disk mounted in a window that rotates to disperse rain, spray, and snow. A clear view screen is typically driven by an electric motor at the center of the disk, and is often heated to prevent condensation or icing.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 07:14 AM   #5
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
For really foul weather , and perhaps icing,the Clearview can be beat.

Clear view screen - Wikipedia

https://en.wikipedia.org › wiki › Clear_view_screen

A clear view screen or clearview screen is a glass disk mounted in a window that rotates to disperse rain, spray, and snow. A clear view screen is typically driven by an electric motor at the center of the disk, and is often heated to prevent condensation or icing.
I've seen those and they're interesting, but if I'm running in conditions where I need one of those, I think it's time for a different boat
Old 10-12-2019, 08:17 AM   #6
FF
Guru

VI've seen those and they're interesting, but if I'm running in conditions where I need one of those, I think it's time for a different boat

All you need is a good tape of Victory at Sea,," Dance of the North Atlantic." ENJOY !!!
Old 10-21-2019, 09:11 PM   #7
Guru

Got my couple of test wiper arms in over the last few days and decided what to keep vs return. Looks like I'll be using the Roca coastal plus pantograph arms as they easily flip to move the wiper blade mount above the pivot points. So I'll use the matching Roca W12 motors to go with them. Ordered 20" blades, so I'll probably end up somewhere around a 95* motor sweep, which will clear just under 32" of the 36" wide glass without running the blades off the top or bottom.

Should be a big improvement. I'll make sure to post pictures / video once I get it all installed and wired.
Old 10-22-2019, 04:43 AM   #8
FF
Guru

Be sure the window washing water system is working well, dry blades on died salt can scratch the glass forever.
Old 10-22-2019, 07:36 AM   #9
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
Be sure the window washing water system is working well, dry blades on died salt can scratch the glass forever.
No system in place for that currently (boat didn't come with it originally), but since this summer's boat move, any salt water is at least a few days of cruising away. So that one is on the "investigate adding later" list, no current need for it up in the Great Lakes.

I am, however, going to look into adding some fans to push air across the inside of the windows or maybe a heated defroster open. One morning this summer of having to run with the center windshield open on a 55* morning due to the glass fogging up on the inside was enough...
Old 10-23-2019, 04:54 AM   #10
FF
Guru

"One morning this summer of having to run with the center windshield open on a 55* morning due to the glass fogging up on the inside was enough..."

Wipe the inside with a potato cut open, as skin divers do to there face masks.
Old 10-23-2019, 07:13 AM   #11
Guru

I've heard that works well, but I've never had a potato handy when I've needed to try it. Of course, a hands-free solution would be useful, as my windshields aren't reachable on the inside without crawling due to how far forward they are from the helm.
Old 10-23-2019, 01:29 PM   #12
Guru

City: Qualicum Beach, Vancouver Island
Vessel Name: Capricorn
Vessel Model: Mariner 30 - Sedan Cruiser 1969
There is commercially available spray crap for fogging issues out there, I just am to lazy to look it up.

I go out in the off season in BC, the best boating season of all, and the spray is a constant companion. I am also installing a new wiper system and I have consider a fluid wash system as part of the wipers. But I know how fast I go through car windshield washer fluid and the amount some boat wiper systems hold is substantially less making me wonder if they are worth it.
rsn48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 01:36 PM   #13
Guru

If I do a wash system and don't just feed it off the fresh water supply, I was looking at the tank / pump setups Imtra sells. One of them is a 10 liter / 2.6 gallon tank with 3 pumps (easy to do independent spray for each window). I just don't know where I'd mount the thing.
Old 10-27-2019, 08:20 PM   #14
Guru

Started putting the system together this weekend. 2 of the 3 wipers are in and all of the wiring is in place and ready to hook up to the last one when I get it in.

Got the sweep dialed in for the port windshield (excuse the messy wiring, that was the quick first test hookup before I did the final connections). With how the pantograph pivot sits to not interfere with the center windshield opening I can't get quite as wide a sweep on that window, so I'm going to swap it to a 21" blade to get a little more vertical area cleared (being that I have clearance for it). On the port and stbd windows I can clear all but about 2" of the window width using a 20" blade. Of course, that does leave a decent dead spot in the top center, but for the side windows it's not really an issue from the helm chair view.

Old 10-28-2019, 04:35 AM   #15
Veteran Member

City: Chesapeake
Vessel Name: Voyager 3
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen Manatee
Thanks for the tip on AM Equipment. I need a total new system and want to put in spray too. Seems they have it all.
Voyager3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 10:24 AM   #16
Guru

Finished up the new wipers yesterday. So far it's looking like a huge improvement over the old system. Much more clear area on the glass, new motors are quieter and they're self parking.

Videos of the finished product are here: https://photos.app.goo.gl/MzAinqfmVhBLFkRp9