Old 10-10-2019, 08:23 AM   #1

City: Rochester, NY
Vessel Name: Hour Glass
Vessel Model: Chris Craft Catalina 381
Wiper System Redesign

As you can see in this picture, my current wipers aren't great. And they're the original motors from 1986, so they're not self parking. So it's time to build a new setup.

I'm thinking of using the Ongaro HD Waterproof motors, as they're about $90 each and fairly powerful compared to other options in that price range (rated for 24" arm, 24" blade). What I'm working on is the arm design. I'll almost definitely be going with a pantograph arm setup, but there are some details still to figure out.

Each of my windshield panels is 36" wide, 28" tall. The current wiper shaft location is 30" from the bottom edge of the glass. The original setup uses 16" blades (although 18" would probably fit fine).

I'd like to get 20" blades on the setup, which in theory limits me to 20" arms to avoid running the blades off the bottom of the glass in the middle of the sweep. But with 20" arms, an 80* sweep only covers just under 26" of glass width. Going to 90* would get me just over 28", but starts to get a lot more vertical travel at the ends, which could start to limit blade length to avoid hitting the top of the glass.

So I'm thinking of modifying the ends of the arms to move the wiper blade mount inwards (putting the pivot point out beyond the center of the blade). That should allow me to run a longer arm without making the total package longer (still need to stay just under 30" from motor shaft to end of blade). If I can get to a 22" arm, that'll get me the 28" wide sweep with 80* of motor sweep. And if I go to 90*, I get 31" of width, which is most of the way across the glass. If I can get the arm up to 24", that would be even better. That gets me to 31" at 80*, 34" at 90*.

As far as wiring, I'm not planning to use the high speed on the motors (not needed), but I'll definitely wire them for self parking. And the plan is to use an (on)-off-on switch so I have a momentary position to take advantage of the self parking for a "wipe once" feature.

Any thoughts / ideas on ways to optimize this system?

rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 10:25 AM   #2

I just did a little more math on this. If I can stay with 80* sweep, I can go as big as 22" blades. With 90* sweep and a 22" arm, I can fit a 21" blade. 90* sweep and 24" arm limits me to a 20" blade. This is based on whether the blade will hit the top of the glass at the outer ends of the sweep.

Old 10-10-2019, 01:09 PM   #3
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: AZZURRA
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 54
AM Equipment are the wiper experts. They can answer your questions. Even provide you with pantograph arms.
tiltrider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 05:40 AM   #4
FF
Guru

For really foul weather , and perhaps icing,the Clearview can be beat.

Clear view screen - Wikipedia

https://en.wikipedia.org › wiki › Clear_view_screen

A clear view screen or clearview screen is a glass disk mounted in a window that rotates to disperse rain, spray, and snow. A clear view screen is typically driven by an electric motor at the center of the disk, and is often heated to prevent condensation or icing.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 07:14 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
For really foul weather , and perhaps icing,the Clearview can be beat.

Clear view screen - Wikipedia

https://en.wikipedia.org wiki Clear_view_screen

A clear view screen or clearview screen is a glass disk mounted in a window that rotates to disperse rain, spray, and snow. A clear view screen is typically driven by an electric motor at the center of the disk, and is often heated to prevent condensation or icing.
I've seen those and they're interesting, but if I'm running in conditions where I need one of those, I think it's time for a different boat
Old 10-12-2019, 08:17 AM   #6
FF
Guru

VI've seen those and they're interesting, but if I'm running in conditions where I need one of those, I think it's time for a different boat

All you need is a good tape of Victory at Sea,," Dance of the North Atlantic." ENJOY !!!

FF is offline   Reply With Quote