Wiper Failure

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Seevee

Guru
Vessel Make
430 Mainship
Have a wiper that just quit. Doesn’t appear to be a breaker or fuse, but will be sure motor is getting power. Is this failure most likely a motor if elect ok? Thinking of just swapping good motor to be sure. Thoughts?

Your idea sounds good to me. Use a multimeter at the motor to be sure it is getting power (and that the ground side is still good). If so, try swapping motors and see. Good luck.

Sevee another thought would be to run jumper between the 2 just to make sure this may be easier then swapping motors

Sevee another thought would be to run jumper between the 2 just to make sure this may be easier then swapping motors

Great idea, will do.

Errr.... wait a minute. If I jumped from one motor to the other, what would that do? If the motor is bad, wouldn't help. And if the motor is not getting power, I can figure out that with a meter. What am I missing? thanks!

Jump from the supply wires on the good side to the motor contacts on the bad side. If the motor is good and the circuit is bad, it will run. If not, it might be a bad motor.

A voltage check would probably accomplish the same thing.

Did you see any wiper smoke release from the motor? If it loses that smoke, it never runs again.

Jump from the supply wires on the good side to the motor contacts on the bad side. If the motor is good and the circuit is bad, it will run. If not, it might be a bad motor.

Did you see any wiper smoke release from the motor? If it loses that smoke, it never runs again.

What FW said

Fly,

Smoke release? What's that?

Fly,

Smoke release? What's that?

All I know is that my wiper accidentally got switched on while my windshield cover was in place. Next thing I know, a puff of smoke came out a little hole in the wiper motor like steam from a locomotive...and that was all she wrote. That wiper motor never worked again.

Best I can figure, it must have been related to all the good smoke getting out.

Had a shaft fail a few years ago...buried bow in a big wave, inundated windshield/wiper. Twisted off at the roll pin that holds the serrated drive cap on the shaft. FWIW

Possibly worn brushes, you could try tapping the rear of the motor housing - with the switch in the ON position.

Could also be a mechanical issue in the wiper's internals. An API wiper on my 390 quit, turned out to be a swage letting go in the linkage. Easy fix once the unit was out.

RTF - I don’t think you can use Lucas (The Prince of Darkness) smoke in a Chinese made wiper motor. If you use Chinese smoke, an hour later you want more.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom