Wintering IceBound in Ontario CA.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Capt. Joe

Veteran Member
Vessel Make
Wittholz 40 Passage
Arrived in our winter slip yesterday, where the river flows fast and for the most part doesn't freeze. (We live a stone throw away up river, right at Lock 32 of the Trent Severn Waterway.)
2 public cameras are broadcasting from the boat during daylight hours. The forward looking cam should be nice once the ice sets in over the lake. Deer, wolves and coyotes are not unusual to spot.
Link to camera page: CruisingDog WebCam

Attachments

• DSCF0954.jpg
    DSCF0954.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 79
  • DSCF0956.jpg
    DSCF0956.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 82
Looks good, are you going to live aboard during the winter?

No, not anymore. Did it for 30 years, mostly in warm climate though. First year ashore in winter....

Some in Alaska build a “tent” over their boat like they were going to work on the boat all summer and wanted to keep the rain off.

It’s a great idea for wintering too. I’m sure the boat would be considerably warmer. And obviously the “greenhouse” is exposed to all the wind that comes along. The “tents” in Ak are mostly clear plastic and bent plastic tubing but using the white plastic commonly used to “shrink wrap” a boat would be much more robust/durable.

If you're concerned about the area around your slip freezing, pick up a Kasco Deicer pump. I have one and it does a great job of keeping the slip free of ice.
511sWrscSCL.jpg

Purchase a good stiff push broom , your new "snow shovel".

We never did (cover up) and spent a decade in climates where winter is winter. To me, that would defeat the purpose of why we were staying onboard while icebound; for the surrounding view.... :)

If you're concerned about the area around your slip freezing, pick up a Kasco Deicer pump. I have one and it does a great job of keeping the slip free of ice.
511sWrscSCL.jpg

Got it covered - we froze the boat in and that's that, except we agitate if and when staying aboard, as the ice pushes her up out of the water and never on an even keel...

Attachments

• 1452442.jpg
    1452442.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 52
Back
Top Bottom