Old 10-12-2015, 03:32 PM   #21
Guru

City: St Augustine,Fl
TF member "Cool Beans" just passed us southbound. Have a good trip. His Manatee is looking good.
Sailor of Fortune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 03:43 PM   #22
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmason View Post
Having done this trip to FL a number of times, we use the reverse cycle ac and the Mr. Heater is a great extra source of heat. Highly recommend it.
Which Mr. Heater model do you have? The 4-9000 BTU model uses 1 lb propane tanks. Is that the one you have? Are the 1 lb tanks the same as the tank on most marine portable grills.
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 07:09 PM   #23
chc

City: PA
Vessel Name: Scooter
Vessel Model: 1984 Californian 34 LRC
We left Baltimore in November, 2009; parked the boat in New Bern, NC, until January 2010, then left for FL. Long underwear, Mr. Buddy heater, or an electric space heater powered by a Honda 2000. As long as you showered before, or just after the anchor dropped, there was plenty of hot water; in the am, not so much. We rarely RON at marinas', and don't have AC, but all in all, it was a great trip. quite comfortable for the most part. It was still nice to hit the warmer weather.
chc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 07:31 PM   #24
Guru

City: Stuart FL
Vessel Name: Lucky Lucky
Vessel Model: Pacific Mariner 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by timjet View Post
Which Mr. Heater model do you have? The 4-9000 BTU model uses 1 lb propane tanks. Is that the one you have? Are the 1 lb tanks the same as the tank on most marine portable grills.
Yes, the one that uses the same 1lb tank as a grill.
hmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 08:16 PM   #25
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Humidity is often a problem in winter months. One of very simple and cheap things that make life more enjoyable in cool damp weather is a good little fan directed at the wheelhouse windows. Mine has very quiet leading edge vented blades and plugs into a cigarette lighter receptacle.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 11:02 PM   #26

City: North Port, FL
Vessel Name: Seven Tenths (sold)
Vessel Model: Mirage / Great Harbour 47
We left Baltimore last year on Thanksgiving weekend...woke up one morning in the Pongo with frost on the decks. It was a fun run to Punta Gorda.

This year we are leaving next Monday from Baltimore. The bridge in Norfolk that is restricted schedule, then the flooding near Charleston will be something to keep an eye on.

I would not worry too much about the weather as being winter yet - maybe mid-December through March.

Enjoy the trip.
HenryD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 06:01 AM   #27

City: Lottsburg, Va
Vessel Name: Amazing Grace
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 52 Sedan
We were headed home Sunday, north to the Potomac, and I felt like I was going the wrong way on a one way street. The conditions on the Bay were snotty Friday, we were out there in some 4-6 foot seas, and worse Saturday. Sunday saw 2-3+ but manageable. It looked like the Normandy invasion on my radar, all headed south. Mostly sailors, it was their kind of day, but an impressive number of power boats; a Fleming, more KKs than I could count, some Gbs, Marine Traders and an Eastbay. My 2 mile radar search had more than 40 blips. Monday at the office was a real drag.
bnoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 06:27 AM   #28
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmason View Post
Yes, the one that uses the same 1lb tank as a grill.
Thanks Howard, ordered the 4-9000 BTU model yesterday.
And thanks for the heads up about the Dominion LPG dock. Will give it a wide berth this weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryD View Post
This year we are leaving next Monday from Baltimore. The bridge in Norfolk that is restricted schedule, then the flooding near Charleston will be something to keep an eye on.

Enjoy the trip.
I thought all the bridges around Norfolk on the ICW were high. Will have to check the charts, thanks for that heads up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnoft View Post
We were headed home Sunday, north to the Potomac, and I felt like I was going the wrong way on a one way street. The conditions on the Bay were snotty Friday, we were out there in some 4-6 foot seas, and worse Saturday. Sunday saw 2-3+ but manageable. It looked like the Normandy invasion on my radar, all headed south. Mostly sailors, it was their kind of day, but an impressive number of power boats; a Fleming, more KKs than I could count, some Gbs, Marine Traders and an Eastbay. My 2 mile radar search had more than 40 blips. Monday at the office was a real drag.
4' is my max and then only if I have to. Can't wait to get out there and join the crowd - maybe. All the good anchorages and marina slips will probably be taken so I'll plan on each days arrival so as to be in position early.
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 07:56 AM   #29
Guru

City: Stuart FL
Vessel Name: Lucky Lucky
Vessel Model: Pacific Mariner 65
Tim, the opening restrictions on the Beltline RR bridge does not begin until 10/16.
hmason is offline   Reply With Quote