Old 01-19-2011, 04:58 PM   #1

Winter Refuge?

Next winter, the admiral and I are thinking about taking the boat south for the winter. We keep the boat in Rock Hall, MD and have spent the past summers exploring the Chesapeake.
The idea is to take the boat south in late October and rent a slip somewhere in the Carolinas down to about Savannah.* The plan is to use the boat as a weekend getaway, perhaps visiting her 4 or 5 times.
We are still working, and feel, perhaps, that making our way to eastern Florida or the keys may be a little hard to reach with the limited time us working stiffs have available.
We would like a place to chill out, take out the kayaks or bikes, and maybe be able to enjoy a nice restaurant once in a while.
Any suggestions?

ChuckB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 05:03 PM   #2
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
RE: Winter Refuge?

Quote:
ChuckB wrote:

Next winter, the admiral and I are thinking about taking the boat south for the winter. We keep the boat in Rock Hall, MD and have spent the past summers exploring the Chesapeake.
The idea is to take the boat south in late October and rent a slip somewhere in the Carolinas down to about Savannah.* The plan is to use the boat as a weekend getaway, perhaps visiting her 4 or 5 times.
We are still working, and feel, perhaps, that making our way to eastern Florida or the keys may be a little hard to reach with the limited time us working stiffs have available.
We would like a place to chill out, take out the kayaks or bikes, and maybe be able to enjoy a nice restaurant once in a while.
Any suggestions?
Chuck, take a look at Shelter Cove Harbour on Broad CREEK at Hilton Head Island
ItS a great place for all the above* Not cheap* but a really great place

Moonstruck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 05:19 PM   #3
Guru

City: Cary NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 42'

Hey Chuck!!* Lots of GREAT places in North Carolina!!*

New Bern NC at the New Bern Grand Marina - walking distance to dining
New Bern NC at Northwest Creek Marina, not walking distance but 8 miles to downtown New Bern and 20ish miles to Oriental NC. Great marina with really nice year round people.
Oriental NC at RiverDunes, Nice new marina, fancy bathrooms, nice clubhouse dining. and short drive to the town of Oriental.
Morehead City at the MC Yacht Basin....Walking distance to dining.
Carolina Beach NC at Joyner Marina, (our current home marina) walking distance to the beach- bike ride or short car ride to dining/shopping...15 miles to Wilmington proper for*dining and night life.

NC usually has year round boating...especially if you have an enclosed bridge!!*
Besslb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 05:33 PM   #4
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Winter Refuge?

Hiya,
** Mr. Chuck B.** GREAT idea.* You'd be able to boat or comfortably visit (limited to your vacation time) in the winter months.* The MAIN thing to keep in mind though is hurricanes and hurricane season.* Is the marina you choose considered a "hurricane hole" or will you have to make arrangements to have your boat moved/secured?
** You can lose an*awful lot of sleep just anticipating whether or not Hurricane ABC is going to drop on your boat or decide to bypass.
** I have visited several of the marinas mentioned by road and agree, they all are quite nice.* The "Low Country" has a beauty unto itself.
*** Just a thought...

-- Edited by RT Firefly on Wednesday 19th of January 2011 06:34:41 PM
RT Firefly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 05:54 PM   #5
Guru

Chuck, here is a link to Shelter Cove** http://www.palmettodunes.com/hilton-...and-marina.php

The whole island is accessible by bike paths, restaurants surround the harbor, kayaking in the marshes on Broad Creek is great, groceries & shopping near by, and they don't call it Shelter Cove for nothing.

I have been there for four extended stays and would go back again.* Tell Dave, Tom, or Pam that Don Moon on Moonstruck sent you.
Old 01-19-2011, 06:40 PM   #6
Guru

City: Cary NC
Vessel Model: Navigator 42'

Quote:
RT Firefly wrote:The MAIN thing to keep in mind though is hurricanes and hurricane season.* Is the marina you choose considered a "hurricane hole" or will you have to make arrangements to have your boat moved/secured?
** -- Edited by RT Firefly on Wednesday 19th of January 2011 06:34:41 PM
*True enough, although we rarely get hurricanes during the winter months.* Hurricane season is June 1-Nov 30.*Peak Hurricane season for NC is*August through September.* Hurricanes in October and November rarely get close to us.**

*For the record, Northwest Creek Marina and River Dunes are both Hurricane holes.* I can't speak for River Dunes, But I can for NWC...there is no one I would trust more than that dock crew with my boat during a true blue hurricane and they do not make you move your boat out of the marina.
Besslb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 06:46 PM   #7
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic

Quote:
RT Firefly wrote:The MAIN thing to keep in mind though is hurricanes and hurricane season.* Is the marina you choose considered a "hurricane hole" or will you have to make arrangements to have your boat moved/secured?
Hurricanes in winter? Good one RT... Try and pay a little more attention next time ya' bigdummy.
Tom.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 08:32 PM   #8
Guru

Bess is right... And THAT is why NC is such a great option. Sure, there ARE some cold days,but boating and biking are great and all on a budget you can handle.
Old 01-19-2011, 09:04 PM   #9
Guru

City: Sunset Beach, NC
Vessel Name: Polly P.
Vessel Model: Monk 36

Southport, NC.

Plenty of cheap dockage, and the town is very nice.* Within reach from there are:
Oak Island
Wrightsville Beach
Bald Head Island
Lockwood's Folly River
Sunset Beach
Little River SC (don't go South of here unless you keep going to Georgetown)

Further away by two days or so at 8 knots:
Beaufort NC and Shackelford banks etc
Oriental
Washington, Chocowinity
and much more

I mention each of these places since they are all worth going to.* Good seafood is available if you ask around Southport, especially "Mr. P's" resturaunt, if you go off menu.
Egregious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 03:28 AM   #10
FF
Guru

If you don't go south of Lake O' you are in southern Georgia or Alabama , NOT FLORIDA .

The keys is expensive , but many flights to MIA make it EZ.

There are also a number of places in the Bahamas with low (about $210) slips and good air connections.

Summers you need to come mid state to a Hurricane Hole or go north as your insurance co decides.
FF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 06:04 AM   #11
Enigma

City: Slicker?

Hiya,
** Mr. Gonzo.* You're right if you define winter*as the coldest season of the year, usually December through February but if moving south to escape winter (cold weather) one could feasibly find themselves in the Carolina's in October or November (Mr. ChuckB DID mention late October).* Try and pay a little more attention next time Mr. Gonzo.
RT Firefly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 06:22 AM   #12
Guru

Old 01-20-2011, 07:25 AM   #13
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC

Quote:
ChuckB wrote:The idea is to take the boat south in late October and rent a slip somewhere in the Carolinas down to about Savannah.* The plan is to use the boat as a weekend getaway, perhaps visiting her 4 or 5 times.
Any suggestions?

First, will you be driving or flying to your chosen location?* If driving, you will probably want to stay within a day's drive of home.* I retired to Charleston, SC from Frederick MD and it's a good day's drive to visit folks in MD.* I wouldn't want to drive any further.* If you will be flying, consider proximity to airports and flights from home to those airports.

In the Charleston area, you will find enough nice restaurants to keep you busy for a year or so.* As for the weather, if you can pick your weekends, you'll be fine.* Sometimes the temperatures are in the 60s or higher in January and February.* Sometimes in the 30s.

There are plenty of places to kayak.* As for bikes, as long as you can stay on biking trails you will be fine.* Biking on public roads around here is not something I would recommend.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 11:56 AM   #14
Scraping Paint

City: -

Quote:
rwidman wrote:In the Charleston area, you will find enough nice restaurants to keep you busy for a year or so.
I and my camera crew have been visiting Charleston on a somewhat regular basis to shoot our 787 manufacturing and assembly operations there.* A terrific restaurant we have found that's just a few blocks from our hotel is Hall's Chop House.* The owners have set the bar for customer service higher than any resaurant we've ever been in anywhere we've been on the planet.* Not an inexpensive restaurant by any means, but its not our money

Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 12:14 PM   #15
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6

There is lots of info on climate by location on the internet to help know how far one must go for less-cold weather.* Here is an example:

http://www.usclimatedata.com/climate...ation=USCA0675

(It's nice not having to worry about precipitation for over half the year "here.")
markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 01:25 PM   #16
Guru

ChuckB, I didn't catch if children re involved, but if so Sherter Coe is the way to go.* Access to the beach, activities, golf, tennis,* and restaurants everywhere.
Old 01-20-2011, 02:27 PM   #17
TF Site Team

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Model: Carver 356

I will second Charleston,SC.. What a great and charming little town!!!
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 02:48 PM   #18
Guru

Quote:
Baker wrote:

I will second Charleston,SC.. What a great and charming little town!!!

Old 01-20-2011, 02:50 PM   #19
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan

Wow!* Is that paint new or do you polish it with something?
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 02:53 PM   #20
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6

Where are my sun glasses?

markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote