Old 01-20-2011, 02:58 PM   #21
Guru

City: Toms River
Vessel Name: D U E T T E
Vessel Model: 1996 36' Island Gypsy
RE: Winter Refuge?

Don,** What a beauty!!!* But, I am confused thought she had Pod drives?** Another*
****************************************Senior Moment.* JohnP

JohnP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 02:59 PM   #22
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express

Quote:
SeaHorse II wrote:

Wow!* Is that paint new or do you polish it with something?
Thanks, Walt.

Gelcoat polished professionally with 3M at a yard in St Petersburg. FL.* We will be heading back north in the spring to the Chesapeake.* Then either winter in Charleston or SE Florida with some trips to the islands.

I love Charleston, but it would be hard to beat Shelter Cove at Hilton Head for a getaway stay.* We love it both places.

Moonstruck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 03:02 PM   #23
Guru

Winter Refuge?

Quote:
Marin wrote:

rwidman wrote:In the Charleston area, you will find enough nice restaurants to keep you busy for a year or so.
I and my camera crew have been visiting Charleston on a somewhat regular basis to shoot our 787 manufacturing and assembly operations there.* A terrific restaurant we have found that's just a few blocks from our hotel is Hall's Chop House.* The owners have set the bar for customer service higher than any resaurant we've ever been in anywhere we've been on the planet.* Not an inexpensive restaurant by any means, but its not our money

Marin, did you think the Chop House beat Jake's in Portland?

Oops, hope I didn't offend Carey showing my black hull.

-- Edited by Moonstruck on Thursday 20th of January 2011 04:09:10 PM
Old 01-20-2011, 06:51 PM   #24

Thanks for the imput, guys.* We like the idea of Shelter Cove because we do have 3 daughters in their late 20's.* (Yes, we are new empty nesters), and we think that Hilton Head would be conducive to them spending some time on the boat.* Also, their so's would like the golf opportunity and they would like the beach.
I think we would also like Charleston.* However, what I have read about Charleston is that many of the anchorages are subject to heavy wind and tide action.* Can anyone recommend marinas that would be a pleasant place to spend some time?
Yikes, so many choices and so little time (and money).
By the way, we live about 10 hours from Hilton Head by car so we would hope to find reasonable air travel and connections.
ChuckB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 07:06 PM   #25
Scraping Paint

City: -

Quote:
Moonstruck wrote:

Marin, did you think the Chop House beat Jake's in Portland?

I've not eaten at Jake's so can't offer any comparison.* But Hall's is the best restaurant I think I've ever eaten in in terms of customer service.* We've eaten at lots of great restaurants around the world*and there have been plenty with more exotic or varied menus and fabulous preparation.* We recently ate at*seafood restaurants in Dubai and Abu Dhabi that were pretty mind-blowing.* But although *Hall's has a limited niche*menu I and my crew (who have been all over the world with me) cannot come up with a better overall*dining out experience.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 08:07 PM   #26
Guru

Quote:
JohnP wrote:

Don,** What a beauty!!!* But, I am confused thought she had Pod drives?** Another*
****************************************Senior Moment.* JohnP
John, No POD drives.* I am not sold on them, as I am a neanderthal.* She handles like a sports car so really no need.*

Thanks for the compliment.* She has been a great boat.* That was mainly put up to show her hailing port.* We cruise her all over, but still spend a good deal of time in SC.

Old 01-20-2011, 08:20 PM   #27
Guru

Quote:
ChuckB wrote:

Thanks for the imput, guys.* We like the idea of Shelter Cove because we do have 3 daughters in their late 20's.* (Yes, we are new empty nesters), and we think that Hilton Head would be conducive to them spending some time on the boat.* Also, their so's would like the golf opportunity and they would like the beach.
I think we would also like Charleston.* However, what I have read about Charleston is that many of the anchorages are subject to heavy wind and tide action.* Can anyone recommend marinas that would be a pleasant place to spend some time?
Yikes, so many choices and so little time (and money).
By the way, we live about 10 hours from Hilton Head by car so we would hope to find reasonable air travel and connections.
ChuckB, if you do settle on Shelter Cove ask for D, E, or F docks.* They will be more convenient for loading, restaurants, and to showers, etc.* Your daughters should like it as there are many places to go on the island.* Beaufort is about 30 miles away and makes for a great short cruise.* The Savannah waterfront is closer than that.* There are a few good anchorages.* Dafuskie Island is a short cruise----great golf course.* Rent a golf cart and tour all over the island.*

Old 01-20-2011, 11:44 PM   #28
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Winter Refuge?

Quote:
Marin wrote:

... *Hall's is the best restaurant I think I've ever eaten in in terms of customer service.*....
This little restaurant on the coast immediately south of Fort Bragg, CA has good fish dishes, and the best onion rings ever tasted!* The owner is a former fisherman/whaler.* The last U.S. whaling ship on the west coast is*docked not far away.

-- Edited by markpierce on Friday 21st of January 2011 12:46:30 AM
markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 03:36 AM   #29
FF
Guru

The Folks of Charlston are my kind of folk!

The local tax rats decided that having nice wide 'french" doors opening out on a covered porch to stay cool would cost $$$(Electric not invented yet).

The good folks of Charlston simply balon framed the walls 2 stories high.

Then they installed floor to ceiling "Gilotine windows" that slid up into the wall, on the floor above.

Voila , full sized window , no taxable doors!

You got to love anybody that is smarter than the tax man.
FF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 06:50 AM   #30
Guru

Quote:
FF wrote:

The Folks of Charlston are my kind of folk!

The local tax rats decided that having nice wide 'french" doors opening out on a covered porch to stay cool would cost $$$(Electric not invented yet).

The good folks of Charlston simply balon framed the walls 2 stories high.

Then they installed floor to ceiling "Gilotine windows" that slid up into the wall, on the floor above.

Voila , full sized window , no taxable doors!

You got to love anybody that is smarter than the tax man.
They also saved taxe by narrowing the fronts of their homes by turning the ends to the street.* They placed private piazzas to the side and turned a negative to an asset--------the beautiful Charleston gardens & court yards.* I developed a whole community of these style homes and lived in one.

This was my patio.* It is amazing how things can turn out when you save taxes.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	court yard p1010023.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	4346  
Old 01-21-2011, 01:47 PM   #31
Guru

City: Bellingham, WA
Vessel Name: Happy Destiny
Vessel Model: Custom Lobster Yacht
Winter Refuge?

Quote:
Moonstruck wrote
They also saved taxe by narrowing the fronts of their homes by turning the ends to the street.* They placed private piazzas to the side and turned a negative to an asset--------the beautiful Charleston gardens & court yards.* I developed a whole community of these style homes and lived in one.

This was my patio.* It is amazing how things can turn out when you save taxes.

My understanding is that the shotgun houses in New Orleans came about for the same reason. They were taxed based on road frontage width. The lots and homes in the poorer neighborhoods are long and very narrow.

-- Edited by Carey on Friday 21st of January 2011 03:21:58 PM
Carey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 01:58 PM   #32
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Winter Refuge?

One needed to live close to work, so lots were often expensive.* Thus, less-wealthy people could afford (to buy or rent)*only small (skinny) lots permitting only skinny homes one-room wide and several rooms long, sans hallway.

Since the doors were usually in-line, one allegedly could shoot a shotgun through the front door and have all the pellets exit via the back door.

-- Edited by markpierce on Friday 21st of January 2011 03:06:09 PM
markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 02:04 PM   #33
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC

Quote:
ChuckB wrote:I think we would also like Charleston.* However, what I have read about Charleston is that many of the anchorages are subject to heavy wind and tide action.* Can anyone recommend marinas that would be a pleasant place to spend some time?

The wind isn't bad (unless it's windy) but the reversing tidal currents are strong.* As you move south from MD to FL, the tides get larger down to aboyr the GA/FL border, then they start getting smaller.** Look at a map of the US east cost and you'll understand.* It will be a little worse in Hilton Head than in Charleston.

In MD, you often find hills and trees next to the water that will block the wind.* Very few places like that around SC and GA.* It's mostly marsh.

http://www.charlestonharborresort.com/*is probably the closest thing to a resort marina around here.* I've been there a few times.* There's a pool, restaurant, bar, laundry, etc.* All the marinas have websites so do a search.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 03:20 AM   #34
FF
Guru

Charlston City Marina is very nice and since Charston deserves a visit so is worth the expense.

Yes I do pay to tie up, IF its worthwhile .

Rare as it is.
FF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 10:09 AM   #35
Guru

Quote:
FF wrote:

Charlston City Marina is very nice and since Charston deserves a visit so is worth the expense.

Yes I do pay to tie up, IF its worthwhile .

Rare as it is.
Right, FF.* Charleston City Marina would be my choice for a cruiser.* It is pretty close, but not the closest to the old town, they have a free shuttle to there West Marine & Harris Teeters Super Market.* Lots of action and boat candy on the Mega Dock.* Showers and laundry facilities can't be beat.* Fuel at your docking spot-------marina nirvana.

Study the tidal current and wind carefully before going in.* If you have to, tie up temporarily to check out your assigned spot.* It can be very unforgiving once you get into the tight area behind the Megadock.* Set fenders and lines before entering, and have your crew prepared.* It can be a 3 knot current.

Old 01-22-2011, 10:38 AM   #36
Guru

Quote:
markpierce wrote:

One needed to live close to work, so lots were often expensive.* Thus, less-wealthy people could afford (to buy or rent)*only small (skinny) lots permitting only skinny homes one-room wide and several rooms long, sans hallway.

Since the doors were usually in-line, one allegedly could shoot a shotgun through the front door and have all the pellets exit via the back door.

-- Edited by markpierce on Friday 21st of January 2011 03:06:09 PM
Mark you have described a live work situation where most left for work on foot with their lunch pails.* That is what the greenies and planners are trying to force us into today.* High densities with transportation by publc,*foot, bicycle, and electric car.* To get this back to how it relates to boats if would probably be only sail boats with no auxilliary power and solar powere boats allowed.

Old 01-22-2011, 06:38 PM   #37
TF Site Team

City: Home Port: Buck's Harbor, Maine
Vessel Name: "Emily Anne"
Vessel Model: 2001 Island Gypsy 32 Europa (Hull #146)

This is our winter redoubt. We definitely need a warmer refuge. It's supposed to dump snow every five days for the next 45 days. Can't even get in to the boatyard to see if the boat stands are okay.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dscn0130.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	139.5 KB
ID:	4373  

dwhatty is offline   Reply With Quote