Winter project progress

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ghost

Guru
So it’s spring and I’m still plugging away at my winter project list. I fear I may have bitten off too much, were coming in hot this year.

I bought a sail rite last fall and got started on making rail covers for the aft half of the boat. Also a new windshield cover.

Next I bought a vinyl cutter and scanned and recreated all the graphics on the boat. I’ve just started to remove the old, so that will be going up incrementally.

Then I decided the old Formica dinette was bothering me, and if you change that, then the galley Formica needs to go too. Come to think of it, those dinette cushions are an eyesore....

So here are the cushions and the new dinette table is now getting a finish put on it. I don’t like the swirls in it from my Fein RO, so a new festool will be here on Thursday with a smaller cutting radius.

IMG_0663.jpgIMG_0664.jpg

The table is Walnut and Yew, both started from slabs. The Yew is gorgeous, but highly checked, so that’s been reinforced on the bottom and all that gorgeous checking does not make the finishing easy.

The cushions I sewed and sourced latex foam, which is both comfortable as it is expensive along with wool batting.

I have 1.25 compressed cork coming for the galley countertops and just ordered new wallpaper for the dinette area. Problem is...once you make a clean spot...

Btw, I’ve been at the very edge of my capabilities in both the sewing and the woodwork. So far I think I can live with the outcome. Actually I’m pretty happy with how this is going to come together. I also struggle with perfectionism, and this is all far far far from perfect.

The countertops may be interesting. The breakfast bar is off last weekend, but the main galley did not want to easily come free. There are some subtle angles to be preserved and the cork will need to have some jointer.

...and it’s April. Right after April is May. There goes my stress level again.IMG_0574.jpgIMG_0564.jpg

Last edited:
That table top is cool looking. I have the festool RO 150 FEQ Rotex Sander along with the mini vac . I love mine.

The Festool 150 Rotex is what I wanted, but decided to save $100 and get the ETS EC 125/3 as a more dedicated finishing sander since I already own the 6" Fein which is more than capable of mowing down whatever lawn you wish to go after. The Festool is lighter and has a significantly smaller swirl cut, which will hopefully give me a leg up on technique. I may be the only person to notice, but that's actually the main problem statement. I wish it mattered to me that nobody else would see it!

The money outlay was just getting stupid lately and I decided to start acting a bit more miserly. (If Festool is ever that).

We are also working hard to finish up our winter projects. Always have to have new tools. My wife says I have never met a tool I didn’t need...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom