Winter in the Pacific Northwest

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hey Northern, Solander is a desolate rock off the coast of Brooks Penninsula - nobody goes there in the winter, certainly not me! You would think twice about going there in the summer.

Hey Northern, Solander is a desolate rock off the coast of Brooks Penninsula - nobody goes there in the winter, certainly not me! You would think twice about going there in the summer.

Oh, I know. To me it is just the indicator of things to come. Sure nuf, it is blowing forty in the Strait right now.

A long time ago on TF someone accessed on the web that it was blowing 100 knots at Lincoln Rock in Clarence Strait not far from Thorne Bay where we lived. He sounded like he was fear'in for our safety.

Lincoln Rock is just one of those exposed places that receive lots of wind. But the town of Thorne Bay only gets about half of that. But in the winter it did blow 50 fairly often. We don't miss it but we miss much else about Thorne Bay.

Lincoln Rock in Clarence Strait is like Pt Bishop in Stephens Passage and Eldred Rock in Lynn Canal, very exposed to prevailing winds. During the winter, it seems like these places are always reporting 35 knots or more, 50 knots is very common.

But they all are important and useful to mariners as they indicate weather patterns and intensity. Experience provides for relative wind/wave conditions for intended routes.

Past summer, we sat in Meyers Chuck waiting for a southerly wind to blow through (S55 knots at Lincoln Rock). When it finally came down to S25 at Lincoln Rock, we headed for Ketchikan. Very smooth transit.

Holy crap, we had 60mph winds and heavy rain as the hurricane that hit Hawaii came ashore on Saturday. It lasted for 4 hours. We actually had waves crashing on shore and big time against the boat! My gazebo cover didn't fair very well. Had to add additional lines to the boat. Check out the blog

Northern, I apologize! In my addled state, spending my last few weeks razing and re-doing my "Captain's Cabin" (there's a sign on the door to help me locate it) and remediating the hurricane heater (it was installed by a drug rehab group, I think) I am sufficiently embarrassed to do penance - I promise to spend the entire day tomorrow committing plumbing in my bilge while I ruminate and refresh in my mind the reasons for lighthouse reports

View from the dock. Looking west on the Fremont Cut:

img_279897_0_24dba057567b40144b9f2f64ee989158.jpg

Sitting in the cockpit looking northeast, a tug pushing a sand barge in the direction of Lake Union:

img_279897_1_817f94ec2d5eb06a11d6d9e2822bf538.jpg

Back
Top Bottom