The winter haul out

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Apache II
Vessel Make
1974 Donald Jones
If you haul your boat in the winter are there concerns about the water that is in the coring and every where else it gets freezing and expanding and*cracking things or are you able to really drain the boat of all or most of the water.

I have been leaving my boat in the water over the winter because of this.

The bilge doesn't freeze. Without the rain leaking in I think I'm pretty safe.

*I do winterize the fresh water system by draining all the tanks and filling the head with the pink stuff.

Is it worth it to keep a heater running just enough to keep things from freezing.

What do you do?

SD

Water in the core will do dammage when it freezes and expands if it's traped. I am reparing some cracks that were caused by just that in the flybridge floor. Very hard to know where the water is before the dammage is done, let alone drain it.

Leaving a heater is a waste of time and energy in my mind. Plus it's a fire hazard and that's why most yards have rules against that.

Shrink wraping the boat while the weather is still a bit warm is the best thing to do I think. The boat will have time to dry before it gets too cold and will be protected from rain and snow.

-- Edited by Fotoman on Friday 23rd of September 2011 11:29:22 AM

Fotoman wrote:
*Shrink wraping the boat while the weather is still a bit warm is the best thing to do I think. The boat will have time to dry before it gets too cold and will be protected from rain and snow.
So what is the cost of a shrink wrap in your home port?

SD

jleonard wrote:skipperdude wrote:

SD
*$18 per ft x 40 ft = $720

*Is that to haul, block, and wrap?

skipperdude wrote:

SD
About $500 for a 34 footer. That's just for the shrink wraping. Haul out and storage for the winter is about $800.

Fotoman wrote:
About $500 for a 34 footer. That's just for the shrink wrapping. Haul out and storage for the winter is about $800.

*Wow!!! I never checked the price mostly due to the rigging on the boat I don't know if it could be shrink wrapped.

Is it a do it yourself or do you need to hire it done.

*The haul and storage isn't bad. Do you have to rent the stands or do you own your own.*** I have my own stands but I have a hard time finding the donnage. It always seems to disappear before*I get back from splashing

sd

-- Edited by skipperdude on Friday 23rd of September 2011 01:50:13 PM

Moonstruck wrote:
*$18 per ft x 40 ft = $720
*Is that to haul, block, and wrap?

No that is to shrink wrap. The yard does NOT allow you to do your own. You must use their company. It's an insurance thing so they claim.

-- Edited by jleonard on Friday 23rd of September 2011 01:49:58 PM

jleonard wrote:
*It's an insurance thing so they claim.

I've heard that one befor great scam what?

SD

Some people here do it themselves for about half the price. But this is one of the things I rather contract out because it's a lot of trouble. You need to build a frame, rent a propane torch, etc. It takes a team of 3-4 guys half a day to do the job. It would take me an entire weekend to do it and the results would probably be less than satisfactory.

It would be hard to work around your rigging, you would probably need to take some of that stuff off or at least manage to get it out of the way.

Have you evr seen anyone shrink wrap and leave it in the water?

I have to sell way to many cookies to haul the boat every year. As with most things with me.* If I can't do it myself it just doesn't get done.

SD

Dude,

I'd haul and block then tarp the cabin and all else you can. Drain all water based fluids. Put RV (pink) AF in the lift muffler (if you have one) and some in the sea water hoses ect. I think the RV AF won't harm them. RV AF in throughout the domestic water system including the hot water tank and the toilet. They used to call them "Water Closets". On old boat plans they were noted by "WC". All water that leaks into the boat will probably make its way to the bilge so some RV AF at the low spots may be a good thing. I'm going to leave mine in the water but doing most of the above.

Eric,

I drain all fresh water from all tanks including the hot water tank. So I don't need to add the pink stuff to the fresh water system.*

*It is rigged to drain into the bilge and then just pump it over the side.

*I close* the y valve empty the holding tank just add the pink to the toiled a brief flush add more pink and close the seacock. I disconnect the water*line to the toilet and close that seacock also.

As I have a dry stack I don't need to do anything to my exhaust. We have an ice*free harbor*so I keep her ready to run and use the boat most of the winter.

It is amazing how beautiful things are in the winter. It is like a whole new cruising ground.**

skipperdude wrote:
Have you evr seen anyone shrink wrap and leave it in the water?
*Just today I received a price list from a marina where I did a short haul during a survey.* They quoted a $4/foot surcharge for doing a boat in the water.* They also get $22/foot for a 45-50 foot boat.* Their price per foot goes up with the length, which makes sense since the beam probably increases too.

Dave

I get some rain water through the 2 deck hatch covers into the bilge over the winter. My boat has a hollow keel. So I mounted a stainless plate just forward of the shoe with a 1/4" mpt drain plug. With the drain plug out the bilge stays dry all winter. If I forgot to put the plug back in, any of the 3 bilge pumps could easily keep up with the flow.

Ted

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom