Old 01-19-2012, 05:50 PM   #21
Guru

City: Cowichan Bay, BC
Vessel Name: Gray Hawk
Vessel Model: Defever 43 Offshore Cruiser
RE: Winter cruising

We've had a few skins of ice in "The Bay" but nothing serious.* Maybe less than a 1/2" at the most.* Enough to hold prawn skins while the seagulls wander around eating them.* We caught the edge of the storm that hit Washington so there's a little snow lying around but it will melt this weekend.* We're waiting for a UPS shipment containing a replacement control panel for the inverter and then we'll be off --- destination unknown.* Haulout in Port Angeles starting March 5th is the only firm date in our immediate future.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	img_5487.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	9565  

bobofthenorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 06:16 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Here, in San Francisco Bay, we try to get out of the slip once or twice a month. Some ar short trips just down to the fuel dock to pump out. *We had endless nice weather over the holidays but had other commitments. *

Today, we moved from San Rafael to San Francisco where I will work a 10 day show at the Moscone Center. *When I planned this, it was because the harbor is a gentle one mile walk from the hall. *Now the rains are here for the forseeable future. *I predict ten days. *Even so, it will be a nice working vacation. *We have wheels, Kathy brought the car down, while I brought the boat.

cheers

Penny Lane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 11:22 AM   #23
Scraping Paint

City: -

Quote:
Alfton wrote:
I hate to rub it in guys, but........ "It Sucks Being You"** We are planning a*trip across Galveston Bay this weekend.
*FLAT.* That says everything about that country down there that I need to know.* I don't care how great the weather is, there's nothing to see.* Except possibly what might be on fire this week.* Like Florida.

So trust me, you are not rubbing it in.* You are reminding me how lucky I am not to be YOU :-) :-) :-)
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 11:34 AM   #24
Scraping Paint

City: -

Quote:
Delfin wrote:
*I remember seeing your boat last summer in this spot when we stopped for grandkid pickup. *Can't get more protected than that, and I am surprised at the ice skim. *Is there fresh water floating on the surface? *It's amazing how much colder it can be in B'ham vs. a few miles south where we are.

*We moved to our temporary location late last September.* The port started it's dock removal, dredging, and dock replacement project in October.

The surface of the water in Squalicum can be brackish to almost fresh because of the decent size creek that flows into the bay immediatly west of the marina, the Whatcom River (I think that's what it's called) that flows in about a half mile east, and of course the big Nooksak Rver that flows into the north side of the bay.

This is why many of us hang a zinc anode on a cable down about six or eight feet with the other end of the cable connected to the boat's bonding system, in our case one of the rudder bars.* The transom zincs on many boats may be in fresh or almost fresh water most of the time, particularly on boats like ours with a very shallow draft transom.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 11:58 AM   #25
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'

Zink on a string .......Yea I used to do that. Had'nt thought about the layering of fresh water though. Good point. I think my zinc on the rudder is high. Perhaps I should mount it low on the rudder. Yesterday Willy was still frozen solid in the ice but today global warming has hit us.....it's 23! Good I've got some outside work to do.

Eric
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 12:02 PM   #26
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Winter cruising

Zink on a string .......Yea I used to do that. Had'nt thought about the layering of fresh water though. Good point. I think my zinc on the rudder is high. Perhaps I should mount it low on the rudder. Yesterday Willy was still frozen solid in the ice but today global warming has hit us.....it's 23! Good I've got some outside work to do.

Eric

Sorry about the double post. Got too much snow on the dish I think.

-- Edited by nomadwilly on Friday 20th of January 2012 01:12:53 PM

Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote